V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:21 PM on j-body.org
I did a search to see if this was already posted but i didn't find one so here it goes.

Which is better? a V8 or a 4 cylinder? Me personally, I'm all about the 4-banger. Better on gas and i've seen many stomp all over v8's. Friend of mine used to have an eclipse GSX that ran low 10's with engine work all done by ourselves. All we really had to do was put on your basic bolt-ons and upgrade the turbo. Also helps that their so much lighter.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."

Re: V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:32 PM on j-body.org
Neither is better.

Each has good and bad aspects.

Thats like arguing whether or not left or right is better/

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:40 PM on j-body.org
First mexicans now four bangers?

wow... just wow...

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:51 PM on j-body.org
V8's are better in my opinion

4cyl if they are made by hondA

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Real cars don't make power at the front wheels......
THEY LIFT THEM !!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:02 PM on j-body.org
left handed is better

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:02 PM on j-body.org
Wannabzee: Left is way better!!!

I believe that eventually v8's will be a thing of the past. We no longer need a big bulky engine to produce high amounts of h/p and torque. I think perhaps in even the 80's and into the 90's V8's were still a better engine. But into the 2000's came stock 4cyl cars that can hang with many v8's.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."
Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:41 AM on j-body.org
Cadwz24(Projected1) wrote:left handed is better

x 1 gazillion!!!
I prefer a nice V8 with a good rumble to it. 4 cylinders are good for minivans and little cars but when you want real power you can't beat an 8.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:54 AM on j-body.org
i like an engine that runs.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:55 AM on j-body.org
oh, and ambidextrous FTW!!

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:32 PM on j-body.org
WTF is FTW lilbit?

This is starting to perplex me because I have to deal with 2-5 letter words all day and one more on the weekend makes me cranky.

BTW V8 for fun, I4 for economy. And the new Impala V8 (if only it wasn't FWD, FOR SHAME!!!!) for both.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:44 PM on j-body.org
it the root of the issue:

V-8's run smoother by desing
I-4's are simpler by design

There really is no comparison unless you had a nigh-identical build of engine (i.e. DOHC and same displacement and compression--all that) and made one v-8 and i-4 and tested them both out.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:24 PM on j-body.org
I'd hate to see a 7 litre I4.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:24 PM on j-body.org
Or, a 2 litre V-8 for that matter.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:55 PM on j-body.org
FTW = for the win

All my 17 years of drivin have been with four cylinder cars. Will never own anything but a four banger.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:01 PM on j-body.org
I've owned a 3-8cyl vehicle, and I like the 6's juuuust fine

Thanks for the clue Btw

Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:23 PM on j-body.org
I also prefer 6 cyl.. You kinda get the best of both worlds usually..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:33 PM on j-body.org
No replacement for displacement.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:40 PM on j-body.org
The way I see it both are nice but,as long as you use the V8 for fun or wkend cruising and the 4 for commuting or work u have the best of both with out worrying about fuel cost and enjoy both aspects.I own only 4cyl and quite happy with my rides,although a v8 wkender would b nice preferably a 1971 cuda with a 4spd.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:39 PM on j-body.org
FTW = @!#$ the world

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:50 PM on j-body.org
FTW = for the win

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:55 PM on j-body.org
WannaBzee (aka BadAceDesign) wrote:Neither is better.

Each has good and bad aspects.

Thats like arguing whether or not left or right is better/

I've been driving an 04 GTO for the past week and I f'n love it, until i look down at the gas mileage gauge. I'm only averaging 10-13 MPG's in the city. But, I'm still getting used to the V8 and RWD aspect. I usually pull out of work, turn the traction control off, and do a quick 360 in the cul-de-sac before I head out.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:59 PM on j-body.org
roto'banger owns all

and real drifting was done by muscle cars , before and i mean WAY before , 4cyl attempted it

V8 muscle owns all

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:50 AM on j-body.org
Just before this gets out of hand. There are large displacement I4s and small displacement V8s and V12s.

I know of a 1litre V8 and a 1 litre V12 made by the same company. They are motorcycle race engines and they are marvels of technology. The Large I4s are found in heavyindustry and aircraft.

It really depends on what they are made for and who made them. The configuration is a factor of design and no one is inherity better simply because of the configuration.

The coolest engine out there right now in my books is Honda's RCV (MotoGP engine), 990cc, V5, makes around 250HP and can push there bike to over 320km/h.

PAX
Monday, May 08, 2006 5:17 AM on j-body.org
Well you really can't say one is any better then the other they differ in design so now we're into apples and oranges type pissing contest. 4 bangers will always get better gas mileage and V-8's will allways be able to make more power. It just makes sence if one engine is half the size of the other it will consume about half the amount of fuel but will make less power simply because it has lees displacement.

Now true a turbo 4 cyl can make just as much hp as a V-8 but then if you turbo the V-8....... See where I'm going with this ? HOT ROD had an article on a 1963 or 64 Ponitiac Bonneville with a twin turboed Pontiac 400 that produced 1400 hp on pump gas and ran in the 7 second range and the car was tagged and driven to the track . So you see turbos can work on V-8's too makeing them have still more hp.

But even with cyl deactivation that is just comeing out now V-8's can't even come close to the fuel economy of a 4cyl engine.

They both have their good and bad points. Apples and oranges.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, May 08, 2006 5:35 AM on j-body.org
This isn't a good comparison... unless you're comparing a 8 to an equal displacement 4, it's stupid... It is a engine configuration, nothing more.

I know fours are generally smaller/more efficient while 8's are generally larger, more powerful and hard on gas, but what if you had two engines of similar design, and equal displacement? Well then, a V8 is a significantly better balanced design, will be able to rev higher, and therefore produce more horsepower(Don't bitch at me for this, it's true - assuming equal motors, say 3.5 dohc 32 valve v8 vs. 3.5 dohc 16 valve I4). It's like saying a V6 is always better than a I6 - it isn't; they both have advantages and disadvantages inherent to their design.

And how about this? while it's true, many high technology 4's are keeping pace with larger 8's. A good example of this is the Quad4. Well, what happens if you take two Quad4's, stick them together and make an 8? Well, in theory at least, you'd double the power/torque wouldn't you? Ever hear of the Northstar???? It's more than a coincidence that it displaces 4.6 litres(while the Quad4 was 2.3), and was origionally refered to as the Quad8.

Keep in mind, also, that I4's are generally in much smaller, lighter cars. My GT is faster than an Olds Aurora. Not by much, but nethertheless, it is. Now - take that 4.0 V8 out of the 4000+++ lb car, and stick it in another 2700lb sunflower. How would my "four pissed off squirrels" manage then?

Personally, I'd like to see a flat-8 on the mainstream market... that would be a sweet configuration.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search