Tabaco Smoking Should be illegal also - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tabaco Smoking Should be illegal also
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:39 PM on j-body.org
I heard on the news that second hand smoke is worst than first hand smoke.
Smoking causes long cancer and its addictive just like any other drug.

Smoking should be illegal and we should not be allowed.

Re: Tabaco Smoking Should be illegal also
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:49 PM on j-body.org
starting here in colorado, july 1st smoking in any public building will be illegal, and because of the current fire ban smoking outdoors is illegal, you can currently only smoke inside your house or car. Also coming soon, you cant smoke inside your house or vehical if any person/s under 8 years old are present.

^^^ so its getting that way, oh well ill just go spark up meh bowl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:53 PM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:55 PM on j-body.org
As much as I don't agree with you, I do. Smoking is horrible, leads to multiple chronic respiratory diseases, is carcinogenic, ect. It's crap and people shouldn't smoke. I deal with this war everyday as a nurse. On the other hand, it's job security...

That's right, Mr. Chimney, keep smoking and get me a pay raise in down the road cause there are more and more people comming in with COPD, lung cancer, ect.

I'm really not one to say, you can't do something. It's America - blah blah blah. But, it effects other's around you, so it's not your freedom to do it anymore. It'd dirty and don't expose my son or myself to it. What you do in your own house is your buisness, but not where I eat, shop, or my son plays.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:06 PM on j-body.org
Robby002 wrote:I heard on the news that second hand smoke is worst than first hand smoke.

Good argument, must have put alot of though into it. /end sarcasm I mean are you seriously just learning this stuff? I read the artical, would anyone care to explain to me how second hand smoke, which has already been in someones lungs and has been diluted with oxygen is more potent then the smoke im inhaling myself.

I am a smoker. I feel i have the right to smoke. But i dont feel i have the right to make others smoke. I think no smoking in resturantes or public buildings is an awesome thing. Im glad NY did that. I also feel that theres no reason to smoke when in a group of people, such as concerts or sidelwalks where it is busy. However i dont feel that they cant interfere with my personal space such as my home or car.

NJ is trying to ban smoking in cars. Thats BS and if they pull that @!#$ in NY i will get ticket after ticket after ticket and i dont give a @!#$ because its a violation of my rights. If i own my car im gunna smoke if i want to untill they ban ciggarrettes period. To me they have no right to ban them outright. Yep they hurt people and yeah they may be addicting. However, if they ban them, people will still get them. And now instead of having a taxable product that you can buy in a store, there gunna have people sneaking them into the US and selling them illegally. And for what reason. To keep people from smoking. Lets also ban fast food so people can stop being fat. Its all about self control. Unlike weed and many other drugs, ciggs dont affect your state of mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:07 PM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:09 PM on j-body.org
Personally, I say legalise the ever-lovin' sh!t out of tobacco, and that means, yes, drop the legal purchasing age. Completely.

There's scads of warnings, and if that isn't enough, one tug on a lit cigarette is usually the best way to deter kids... it's a filthy, disgusting and vile habit... but, if you really REALLY want to smoke, that's your choice... do it outside.

Take the allure out of it, and you'll see it for what it really is.

As for the lawsuits, I'd drop a rock on them for all the people who started smoking after the Surgeon General's warnings became mandatory in the mid-80's.

For second hand-smoke induced cancers, I'd say it's still fair game.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:16 PM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:
Robby002 wrote:I heard on the news that second hand smoke is worst than first hand smoke.

I read the artical, would anyone care to explain to me how second hand smoke, which has already been in someones lungs and has been diluted with oxygen is more potent then the smoke im inhaling myself.

the worse part of second hand smoke isn't from the exhaled smoke. Its from the smoldering cig releasing unfiltered smoke while your not actually smokeing it.

as for making it all out illegal, thats ignorant, imho.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:18 PM on j-body.org
this is what pisses me off. I have the right to choose if I want to smoke. I realize the consequences of me smoking, and I realize the consequences of second hand smoke. I fully agree that second hand smoke is bad for non-smokers, especially children. I further agree that parents should not smoke around their children. however, there's more to it than what the government and anti-smoking advocates are telling people.

as of November 2005, the federal government collected over $7 billion dollars annually in cigarette taxes. the states collectively collected over $11 billion. (taken from this website: http://www.brownandwilliamson.com/legal/taxQuickFacts.aspx) that's quite a chunk of change to just make disappear by outlawing smoking. besides, cigarettes are just one of those things that's not just going to disappear. think "Prohibition".

the other part is the government (federal and state) should not be telling me if and when I can smoke. telling a bar owner in Arizona who pays $90,000 a year for his liqour license that you're going to take away at least half his patrons. there were at least 5 businesses that I know of in Tempe, Arizona that shut down when they outlawed smoking in the bars. smokers will travel to find a bar that will allow them to smoke inside. not to mention, that's putting people who've been drinking on the road. it should be up to the business to make the decision if they're going to be a smoking establishment or not. non-smokers as well as smokers can make their own decision if they should go in or not. it would be like a Mormon family deciding whether to go into Hooters or Ruby Tuesday's.

my solution is for the government and tobacco companies to sit down and find a way to produce cigarettes without all the toxins and chemicals that they use in production these days. yes, tobacco smoke isn't ever going to be healthy. ever. however, taking people's rights away is NOT the way to go about things.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:21 PM on j-body.org
Personally I think that if things like pot(which I gave up years ago - I grew up) are illegal, them tobacco should be to - as a matter of consistancy. However I really don't think that any drug should be illegal. Of course we could tax them(as well as taking money away from the gangs, dealers, etc), but that is not the main reason. As bad as many of them are, I think the government has no business telling you what to do with your body. But just so long as it doesn't harm others, that is - so I don't think people need to be smoking anything in a public within a enclosed place. Of course that call should also be made by the person who owns the building. If they want to allow/ban smoking, that is their call - and it should be marked on the outside of the building so everyone knows before they enter that there will be smoke. Then it is my choice to go in and breath smoke or go somewhere else.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:26 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Personally I think that if things like pot(which I gave up years ago - I grew up) are illegal, them tobacco should be to - as a matter of consistancy. However I really don't think that any drug should be illegal. Of course we could tax them(as well as taking money away from the gangs, dealers, etc), but that is not the main reason. As bad as many of them are, I think the government has no business telling you what to do with your body. But just so long as it doesn't harm others, that is - so I don't think people need to be smoking anything in a public within a enclosed place. Of course that call should also be made by the person who owns the building. If they want to allow/ban smoking, that is their call - and it should be marked on the outside of the building so everyone knows before they enter that there will be smoke. Then it is my choice to go in and breath smoke or go somewhere else.

Now im not disagreeing with you. I dont have a problem with pot at all. However, you cant compare the two. Pot @!#$ with your head as well as other drugs, where ciggs dont. Pot and alcohol go together alot better

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:42 PM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000 wrote:Personally I think that if things like pot(which I gave up years ago - I grew up) are illegal, them tobacco should be to - as a matter of consistancy. However I really don't think that any drug should be illegal. Of course we could tax them(as well as taking money away from the gangs, dealers, etc), but that is not the main reason. As bad as many of them are, I think the government has no business telling you what to do with your body. But just so long as it doesn't harm others, that is - so I don't think people need to be smoking anything in a public within a enclosed place. Of course that call should also be made by the person who owns the building. If they want to allow/ban smoking, that is their call - and it should be marked on the outside of the building so everyone knows before they enter that there will be smoke. Then it is my choice to go in and breath smoke or go somewhere else.

I agree with everything you just said.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:51 PM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:
Bastardking3000 wrote:Personally I think that if things like pot(which I gave up years ago - I grew up) are illegal, them tobacco should be to - as a matter of consistancy. However I really don't think that any drug should be illegal. Of course we could tax them(as well as taking money away from the gangs, dealers, etc), but that is not the main reason. As bad as many of them are, I think the government has no business telling you what to do with your body. But just so long as it doesn't harm others, that is - so I don't think people need to be smoking anything in a public within a enclosed place. Of course that call should also be made by the person who owns the building. If they want to allow/ban smoking, that is their call - and it should be marked on the outside of the building so everyone knows before they enter that there will be smoke. Then it is my choice to go in and breath smoke or go somewhere else.

I agree with everything you just said.

amazingly...So do I

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:07 PM on j-body.org
I don't have a problem with people who smoke.
smoke all you want, but it should be illegal.

Not all drugs should be illegal but sometimes a doctor can give you any drug that you want; as long as you can prove that you need it.
by saying
"I think I'm going to die" or "I am in serious pain"

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:07 PM on j-body.org
BK3K what if you have to work there, and everyone else smokes?

I'm only asking this question of you because I don't think you should smoke indoors (because it forces other people to have to deal with your habit, (private membership clubs should be exempt), it's not only rotten smelling after a few hours but it's murder on the paint and furniture.

I agree with you otherwise, I just feel that smokers shouldn't have the right to push the effects (mainly the distasteful odor) of their habit on others who don't want it.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:11 PM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:

.. Pot @!#$ with your head as well as other drugs, where ciggs dont.....

ciggs do but just a diffrent way.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:16 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I just feel that smokers shouldn't have the right to push the effects (mainly the distasteful odor) of their habit on others who don't want it.

and I don't feel that non-smokers should have the right to push their beliefs on me. as I said, I know it's bad. however, people can make the decision if they want to go into and/or work in the building where there's smokers.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:25 PM on j-body.org
Z24 FReQ (Jarett) wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I just feel that smokers shouldn't have the right to push the effects (mainly the distasteful odor) of their habit on others who don't want it.

and I don't feel that non-smokers should have the right to push their beliefs on me. as I said, I know it's bad. however, people can make the decision if they want to go into and/or work in the building where there's smokers.

oh come on....go into buildings for pleasure, yeah sure i'll give you that.....but if i worked for a company, and then found out that smoking in the office was allowed....well that would just be really @!#$ up. you know that smoking in a building is wrong, and just messes up everone elses health, and shouldn't be allowed in a public building

Hail Satan

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:39 PM on j-body.org
I agree with you. I was referring to pool halls, bars, strip clubs and the like. I should have pointed that out.
one of the best ones that I saw was a Denny's that had an enclosed smoking section with several of the "smoke eating" machines in the ceiling. that was awesome.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:42 PM on j-body.org
oh well yeah, if you go into a bar or whatever.....well damn, you should expect some smoke....hell, i do, and i don't care cuz usually after a half hour im so drunk that i will start to smoke too.

but smoking at work is just plain old inappropriate

Hail Satan

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:44 PM on j-body.org
Big Boi -Coloradojbody.org- wrote:
Rosario wrote:

.. Pot @!#$ with your head as well as other drugs, where ciggs dont.....

ciggs do but just a diffrent way.

Yep but not in the way that can slow down your reaction time, blue your vison and speech or anything else like that

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:50 PM on j-body.org
mikec2003 wrote:oh well yeah, if you go into a bar or whatever.....well damn, you should expect some smoke....hell, i do, and i don't care cuz usually after a half hour im so drunk that i will start to smoke too.

that's what I'm getting at though. they're trying to make it illegal to smoke inside ANYWHERE. to me, that's just asinine.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:54 PM on j-body.org
yeah, the law should not replace common sense......if your going to a bar...common sense dictates that people will be drunk, and usually smoking...so get over it

now a restriction on smoking with children present...i agree with, but smoking in a bar.....come on, its a bar, get over it

Hail Satan

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:54 PM on j-body.org
You just nic-fit when you're driving.. so much better to suffer withdrawal symptoms while piloting a vehicle around other people.

Mike, Jarrett: I'm not opposed to having smoking rooms, but I'll put it to you like this: When there was a total public place smoking ban, restaraunts and pubs and pool halls saw a minor decrease in attendance initially, but, business is in fact BETTER than it was pre-ban.

Yes, even peeler bars.

If you want to smoke, go outside.

Look at it like this: How would you enjoy it if some old gummer was chewing a lipful of baccy, and hocked it up on your shirt while you were watching a stripper? It's the same principal, both are filthy habits, and neither are particularly pleasing, and you generally shouldn't subject others that don't do it to the effects of said habits.

It's common courtesy.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:10 PM on j-body.org
true, but a guy chewing tobbaco doesn't generally spit on your shirt. so yeah, i say, as a courtesy, take it outside, but don't require it....im gonna go to a bar or whatever, regardless of wehter or not smoking is banned

Hail Satan

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:21 PM on j-body.org
Thats a big thing with me. Smoking in bars. Its not a god damn family place. Kids arent gunna be there, and if you dont like smoke, DONT GO

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:24 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I agree with you. I was referring to pool halls, bars, strip clubs and the like. I should have pointed that out.
one of the best ones that I saw was a Denny's that had an enclosed smoking section with several of the "smoke eating" machines in the ceiling. that was awesome.

Thats how all of our bars / pubs are now since the smoking ban. It took a while for the pub / bar owners to get with the program but now, there's seperate rooms if we want to go have a dart, or... outside. I have no problem with it at all, going somewhere else... away from others to have a smoke, at least I will find other smokers there who won't try to impose their will on me ... "who wants to live to be 90 anyway"

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search