speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:05 PM
ok so iv never dealt with a 2000+ j body (always had second gens)

i now have a 2002 Ls Sport ecotec auto, with the factory "Premium Sound System"

from what i know it has a factory amplifier to boost the rear deck speakers, iv put speakers in third gens before that DIDNT have this, simple 2 wire hook up yellow and brown, well mine has 4 WIRES going to each speaker. i just got a set of kickers and i wana retain my factory amplifier because im trying to avoid getting a sub woofer

how would i go about wiring the new 2 wire speakers up? what wires go where to work as if it was original?

ALSO i want to install and after market deck, my fiance paid a shop to install hers in her 04 (she has the same sound system) and still has factory speakers and teh stock amp is still functional, everywhere iv looked for an "interface module" for an aftermarket deck they alwasy say "will NOT work with premium sound systems"

how can i install an after market deck, yet still keep my door chimes and factory amplifier?

all help is apreciated

Re: speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:26 PM
also.... would it just be easier to run the rear deck speakers off of an aftermarket 300w amp? i have several just laying around........
Re: speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question
Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:45 AM
You have to get the expensive adapter if you want to keep chimes, and the simple answer for the premium sound amplifier is that you can't. Putting an amplified signal from an aftermarket unit into the factory amp will not work as far as I know, you have to bypass the amp. I kept my stock HU in my 04, it worked well enough and I didnt need aftermarket. Wired my subs into the rear speaker low side wiring. As far as hooking up your rear speakers goes you can write them of the low wires (bass) or the highs but not both.

Have a nice day.
Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:24 PM
damnit,

ok yea i was gona use the $100 adapter, and from what i got out of what u just said that will allow the amp to work still, BUT it wont work properly with an after market deck??

why is that? i didnt think an aftermarket decks output was much higher them the stock deck?

my intetion was to use an aftermarket deck and retain the amp so i didnt have to bypass it and put my sub in the trunk.......

the deck i was going to use is just a Pioneer DEH-3400 nothing to special

my fiance had a shop install the same deck, still using the factory amplifier and stock speakers?

ok well my second question.... is there ANYWAY i can put my aftermarket kicker DS6930 6x9 speakers in the back and still use the factory amplifier...

im really trying to avoid bypassing it and my stock speakers are blown and i cant find any 4 pin speakers in junkyards from a cav or sunfire,
Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:07 PM
You really just need to bypass the amp brother. Run the aftermarket speakers off of the aftermarket deck. If you dont want to cut into factory harnesses just run new speaker wire to all 4 corners and call it a day. That way you can pull it all back out and hook up all the stock equipment if you ever wanted to.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:41 PM
damnit, ok well would this work?

the pioner deck i mentioned using the $100 interface module/adapter crap, wiring the rear speakers to ONLY the main wires(not the ones for base)?

i just used the yellow and brown wires on my left rear speaker to test my new kickers and it worked fine, the other 2 wires hooked to it produced ONLY bass.... what if i just left the 2 bass wires unhooked? would it all function ok? obviously not much base but i can use my sub if i have to
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:07 PM
I'd put subs in anyway lol. I didn't even use the rear speakers, bass from subs and mid/high from the fronts. Honestly I like that idea better. I liked the stock hu just fine aside from no aux input but that can be fixed with a 25 dollar kit vs messing with the amp n everything else

Have a nice day.
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:14 PM
thank you

iv tried searching iv been reading for over 2 hours on here and i have yet to get straight answers.....

1.) when installing an aftermarket deck with the interface harness DOES the factory amp still come on?

2.) When installing aftermarket rear speakers in a 00+ cavalier with the Monsoon sound system which 2 wires do i power the speakers with on each side? which colors?

3.) is it possible to use the factory amp for a 10" sub woofer? basically can it be bridged to power a sub instead of 6x9s in the rear deck

thanks everyone im not trying to sound like a broken record but the answers im getting are just (trash the stock deck, bypass the amp) and thats not what im asking im looking for a relative answer to 3 questions and im getting so frustrated because with all of the info on this site this is the first time i cant find an answer myself
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:25 PM
reason why i asked the first question is ebcause iv seen adapters that keep the chimes (yes i want them) that say (WILL NOT work with premium sound systems.

so what adapter do i need to keep everything as if it were a factory deck?
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:25 PM
Just to chime in I actually didnt know there was an amp in the back and ran my pioneer head unit through it to the rear speaker for about 7 years or more never had a problem...have alpine amps now, much better.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:27 PM
The adapter i got worked fine with the premium amp and still does with it gone

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:33 PM
Luke C wrote:The adapter i got worked fine with the premium amp and still does with it gone

what adapter did you get luke? theres a sound and audio shop right enar me that knows EXACTLY about all of this and they know it doesnt affect air bags ect ect, they knew what i wanted and what it actually needed and their adapter was $75

heres ones iv found online, which one will work best and retain chimes and factory amp?? i dont have onstar but i do have the amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-GMOS-01-Onstar-Harness-Adapter/dp/B000K52DVY/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363307195&sr=1-12&keywords=2002+cavalier+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/GMOS-04-OnStar%C2%AE-Interface-Amplified-Systems/dp/B000980HC4/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363307195&sr=1-26&keywords=2002+cavalier+adapter
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:34 PM
I believe this one http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12900_Axxess-GMOS-01.html

Thats the model metra says through their website

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:38 PM
it says right in the details "Interface designed to allow for the replacement of the OEM Radio with an aftermarket unit in non-amplified GM Vehicles"

why is that? i have yet to find one that doesnt say that, they all say they wont work with the amplified system i have and my fiance has...........

this is really starting to erk me....
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:45 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:thank you

iv tried searching iv been reading for over 2 hours on here and i have yet to get straight answers.....

1.) when installing an aftermarket deck with the interface harness DOES the factory amp still come on?
Yes

2.) When installing aftermarket rear speakers in a 00+ cavalier with the Monsoon sound system which 2 wires do i power the speakers with on each side? which colors?
You won't get full range with either pair but if you don't want any bass:
Left rear tweeter +: Tan, pin F15
Left rear tweeter -: White, pin F16
Right rear tweeter +: Red, pin F14
Right rear tweeter -: Tan, pin F13

3.) is it possible to use the factory amp for a 10" sub woofer? basically can it be bridged to power a sub instead of 6x9s in the rear deck?
No

thanks everyone im not trying to sound like a broken record but the answers im getting are just (trash the stock deck, bypass the amp) and thats not what im asking im looking for a relative answer to 3 questions and im getting so frustrated because with all of the info on this site this is the first time i cant find an answer myself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:45 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:48 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:why is that? i have yet to find one that doesnt say that, they all say they wont work with the amplified system i have and my fiance has...........

this is really starting to erk me....

It's because the factory amp is NOT made to handle the input from an aftermarket radio. The stock radio puts out no where near the same amount of power. Luke has been very lucky that the amp never fried. So, no one will say you can do it because there is a decent chance of it failing.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:52 PM
^^^ that is all true...if I knew there was an amp back there I would have run wires straight from the headunit. Just run 4 wires from the hu and take out the amp and fuse for it.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:52 PM
ok thanks yellow cav u summed up basically every thing, except one thing

how do i get full range out of my rear speakers then?

and can somone just get me a definate part number or website link to a known good working interface module/adapter so i can keep my chimes....

i gues when i get this last thing sorted out then i have to figure out how to by pass my amp dont i -_-
Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:02 PM
Literally all you need to do is run speaker wire for the rear speakers from the back of the head unit to the 6x9s. Since its a cav the front speakers aren't amplified so you don't need to do anything with them. Hook up the head unit with the harness you're getting and drop in the new rear speakers and hook them to the new wires you ran.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:41 PM
is there a way around running the new wires... i kinda wanted to use as much of the factory harness as possible

any definate part number for an interface module/harness for amplified cavs?

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:58 PM
The part number i gave you will work. Works with the amp or without it. Im running it now and it works without any of my speakers powered by the hu and it worked when they were

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:01 PM
This the exact one i bought http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6790_Neucleus-NC-GM39C-by-American-International.html
Discountinued now but should be the same as the metra one

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:38 PM
ok cool thanks Luke

...j

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:43 PM
ok so radio, check, harnes, check

one LAST question for you luke, with that adapter, when i install aftermarket rear speakers and hook them to the main feed wires will i get the full range lows and highs or just mids/highs? if so then im guesing i need to take y3llowcavs advice and run wires from my HU back to the speakers for full range out of them. however i was thinking just using a small amp controlled by RCAs would also work sense it would sound better on my kickers anyway

...j

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:13 PM
I would think you would get full range. To be safe though I would either run them from the hu or use the small amp which of course would give you cleaner sound and more adequately power those kickers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search