gauge needle question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gauge needle question
Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:19 PM
Ok, I am in the process of a project, and I kinda need to know the length of each needle in a cavy. I think the rpm/mph ones are the same length, and the water temp/fuel are the same, if anyone can get me the measurements it would be greatly appreciated, hopefully this all works, and I can get a solution for all the 2k+ clusters out there.

Re: gauge needle question
Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:37 PM
PLEASE DO!!!
ive got my fingers crossed for yah
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:34 PM
Are you planning on removing the needles? If so from what I have heard it isn't a good idea in a 2k+ cluster.

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:04 PM
I just removed my needles to change the gauge face. Believe it or not, none of the needles are the same length. It is very close though. You realize it when you are putting them back on. Why isn't a good idea?
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:05 PM
Chris Carter wrote:I just removed my needles to change the gauge face. Believe it or not, none of the needles are the same length. It is very close though. You realize it when you are putting them back on. Why isn't a good idea?

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:39 PM
I'm not sure but I read it Here

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:49 PM
alot of people break their gauges when they remove them, this would not include taking them off, im wrestling with a response from someone and they are not being very cooperative with me, but I am about 95% sure this will be a fix , and hopefully I can get it working soon.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:50 PM
I just removed mine on a2003 and replaced the face. My cluster works just fine. Speedo sends you directions and a tool. They turn counter clockwise. You have to be precise or else you have to go back around again. You just have to remember where they were exactly when you shut the car off.
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:03 PM
hey can you post these directions you received on this site?
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:04 PM
oh also put up a pic of this tool
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:52 PM
Give me till tomorrow to figure out how to post a pic. The directions were simple.

Before removing your cluster, turn your car on and make a detailed drawing of your gauges and mark where your needles are( Speedo sends you a copy of your face plate). Turn your car off and make note of your needle positions again. This will help you with a close start. Your needles move further than the stop. The stop is generally directly on 0, E, 100 and 0 if you have a tach. But when resting they move below those markings. Your goal is to find those exact positions again, not necessarily putting them on 0. On 2k+ the plastic cover comes off with just 7 push tabs. 4 up top and 3 on the bottom. Remove the cover. Turn your needles counter clockwise past the stop. You'll feel it. Use the tool to ggently pry up on the needle. Do not use alot of force. Just a couple quick jolts will do. Change your face gauge and push your needles back on. they only go on one way so you can't screw it up. Turn your needles counter clockwise to their resting positon that you marked on your gauges drawing. Reinstall the cluster. Turn your car on. Needles should go to their positions you marked previously. If not try it again till you get it right. After getting it right, replace the palstic caver and reinstall.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:12 PM
hmm sounds simple enuf
anyone else wanna try it?
ill be getting a new face soon and will be trying it once i see the tool
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:19 PM
its near impossible to get them back exact........it took me a few extra adjustments to get mine right.......and i had to check the speed by getting a friend in a car next to me, and letting me know the speed........thats where i knew i was off a lil.....my speedo said 35, when theirs said 47 or so.....

about 3 adjustments later, and the only thing i think is still a lil off is the temp.....and i dont know exactly how to chekc that to make sure? but it seems a lil hotter than what it used to say?

speed costs money, i have little money, so i have little speed. Donations are appreciated =)
Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:45 AM
just drive for awhile and once the needle stops moving
put it at the center mark cus thats where the engine usually tries to be
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:24 AM
OK! Something went wrong somewhere. I turn on the igniton, all the test lights come on and I start the car. Everything works fine. The little guy with the seat belt is on and then I go to turn on the headlights and the whole cluster goes blank for about 5 seconds and then comes back on. It is just a simple wire harness! What could be wrong? Honest answers please! No BS!
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:43 AM
Asking your question in one thread is generally a good practice, as it keeps the conversation in one place...

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:48 AM
Iam getting different people answering in each. The more suggestions the better!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search