This is my j new to the forum - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
This is my j new to the forum
Friday, July 13, 2012 7:00 PM
Like the title says I'm new to posting things. I have got a lot in store for this car
because of the inspiration from this website. This is my j I have been working
on it for a while now. The motor is out and I am rebuilding it The interior is out and
getting under coated the grand am dash is fitted and is being fiberglassed before
it goes in again. Like I said I have a lot in store and will be posting more as I go.

Re: This is my j new to the forum
Friday, July 13, 2012 7:11 PM
I love the dash. I wish I had the knowledge to do that kind of a swap..

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, July 13, 2012 7:45 PM
I know it has been a learning experience for sure. I can't wait for it to be done.
Friday, July 13, 2012 8:35 PM
Crazy! I'll be following this. Welcome to the org!

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:07 PM
Welcome. Excited to see that swap done, should look cool.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:19 AM
Wow, those quarter panels are screwed. I would be forgetting about the dash and motor and be concentrating on those before anything else.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:36 AM
Good luck! Agreed with quarters needing some serious help. What are your exterior plans?

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:54 AM
The quarters arent as bad as they look I used rust converter on them and that's is
what your seeing but they do still need some work. As for the exterior I just was it
clean and simple for now. I'm shaving the door handles locks relocating te gas filler
Removing antenna and a Toyota celiac spoiler. As for the color Combe I will be leaving
it the same. M3 mirrors and halo headlights.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:25 AM
cut all rust out... weld in patch panels. That's the ONLY way to do it right, man.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:51 PM
Seen the GA dash done before. To me it looks too big in a j even though it fits.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:42 PM
I know I should weld a patch panel in but I work with guys that work in body shops and a lot of them told me that it is very prone to happening there so he said if I don't want it to come back I should use fiberglass. So I have gotten rid of all the rust used a rust preventative on all of it and I am in the process of doin the Fiberglas.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:30 PM
Seriously? No... as long as its done right and there's a way for drainage, it isn't going to come back foe the life of the car.....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:22 PM
^^ yep. thats the problem. theres no drainage right there. best way to prevent rust there is probably going to undercoat the absolute piss out of the fender well, use the 03-05 rear fender liners, and probably drill some kind of drain hole in the bottom of the quarter and maybe work out a way to undercoat the entire inside of the rocker somehow....

but once the rust starts no amount of glass is going to fix it. sure it will hide it for awhile but eventually it still comes right through.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:53 PM
Even if you're stuck on the (honestly, wrong and harder) way your body shop buddies say and glass it, inhibitor or converter isn't kosher with me, man. STILL need to cut all the rust out before repairing it. But again,. if you cut out the rust, weld in a patch panel, and put the right product in, and even a small drain hole(before painting or coating of course), I don't see how it will ever pose a problem when done right. But no reputable body shop(not the 3 generation strong one my uncle runs, the one my step dad, his brother manages at[top 5 in new england], or either of the shops I've trusted my cars to be worked on at here in Omaha), has ever repaired a rusted out quarter, rocker, or cab corner with a bunch of glass in place of an actual metal patch panel.....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:19 PM
They sell patch pannels to replce the rust in that very pot, google it.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:30 PM
I have researched the patch panels they sell and dideasurements and my rust is to big to patch at this point. I know I should weld a patch panel on there but I got the advice from and guy at Maaco. He said if its done right you wont be able to tell the difference.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:45 PM
LMFAO! Key word: Maaco.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:13 PM
I guess ill let my uncle who's dad died in the body shop he ran for 40 years before he took over, that his grandfather started, and my step dad who's a manager at an award winning body shop and the guys who did my mr2 and cavalier that maaco says they don't repair rust holes right. They will most likely laugh harder than I did.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:21 PM
All crap talking aside they are right. Rust is like cancer you got to cut it all out or it just keeps spreading. No matter what you put over it guess what the rust is still there and still growing eventually you'll see bubbling under the glass or paint or whatever it is your putting over it then it will just come back. Do it right the first time and save yourself the headache down the road of replacing more then what you would have to now. Just saying.
Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:59 AM
If they don't make patch panels it really is not that hard to make ur own patch panels I went to school for auto collision repair and honestly the less amount of filler in the body the better less to go wrong later either by it pulling outta the body work or cracking and breaking or just bubbling ..... The easiest way is the way these guys are explaining to u how to do it ...maaco does it half fast and they really don't care how its done as long as its done fast and easy, they always take the easy and cheap way out... So far u have good plans for the car but trust me u don't wanna cut corners especially if u are doin all the work the guys on here are gonna help ya do it right not do it the wrong way ....
Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:13 AM
Wow. That's all I have to say. So are you going to fiberglass the panels when you shave the doors and gas cap?

Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:17 PM
They do make patch panels both for the ENTIRE rocker panels, and for the bottom 7" of quarters... I used parts from both of these on my rocker repair... See my thread for a pictorial of how its done correctly, welding, grinding, seam sealer, weldthrough primer, and almost a week of sheet metal work all covered inside and outside the panels with POR 15 and finished with body sealer.

See the transformation here...

I did all this work, myself with 0 body work experience with a body man overseeing most of my work. Especially when blocking filler and primer... He sprayed the car.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:27 PM
Damn dude, I didn't know you have no body work experience. Many kudos to you lol. I followed that thread and was impressed every time I opened it. OP, listen to this guy ^^^

Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:51 PM
Alex Richards wrote:They do make patch panels both for the ENTIRE rocker panels, and for the bottom 7" of quarters... I used parts from both of these on my rocker repair... See my thread for a pictorial of how its done correctly, welding, grinding, seam sealer, weldthrough primer, and almost a week of sheet metal work all covered inside and outside the panels with POR 15 and finished with body sealer.

See the transformation here...

I did all this work, myself with 0 body work experience with a body man overseeing most of my work. Especially when blocking filler and primer... He sprayed the car.

Study and learn, I don't even have to look threw the pictures to know he's on key with the words he used. Weld, grind, seamsealer, weld through primer and a good metal sealer. And seriously you can't use the word macco and make a true autobody technician laugh. Oh and fiberglass is a horrible idea since they a two different materials and expand and contract at different rates....

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Monday, July 16, 2012 10:08 AM
Well I don't have the equipment to weld or the know how I talk to a friend that ownes his own body shop and he said he would do it the right was for 100 dollars so I am just going to pay him to do it if that is the best way to do it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search