Quad powered Chevette? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quad powered Chevette?
Thursday, November 03, 2011 8:56 PM
So I've had my fun with fwd and quad4/twin cams.... I have my LS1 GTO...... but I need a 'winter' car.

Back before I got into J-bodies, I was very close to buying a early '80s Chevette. Would have bought it to, but the Kid who owned it kept backing out on me. Thats when I ended up buying my first Z24, a '97 Automatic.

So here is where I sit, 5 Z24's later......

Chevette off Craigslist - $300-500 (rolling chassis, running a bit more)
Running LG0/LD9 - $FREE (well, basicly. I have my options)
Bell housing for the T5 transmission - $593.75 (Quad4Rods)

I have my options on running it. Stock 00-02 ECM and harness w/ HPTuners, or a Stand Alone MEFI setup, or OBD1 95 2.3 ECM and harness.... all 3 in my garage.

So for about a $1k, I have a running LG0/LD9 powered Chevette. Its lighter than a Cavalier, RWD....... and everyone knows what I can do with a LG0/LD9!

So what do you think? Go for it? Googled it, and have yet to find pics of a Quad powered Chevette...... a few posts about possibly doing one, but never seen it done.

(ps, also looked into upgrading the rest of the driveline. The stock rear end should hold up to a stock LG0/LD9, but not much more, and looked into brake upgrades as well)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Re: Quad powered Chevette?
Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:02 PM

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:12 PM
Cavalier station wagon!

Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:20 PM
Turbo chevette!

Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:29 PM
though cool, I would personally go for a safer car

Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:34 PM
It would be interesting to find out what gets turboed first...... the Chevette or the GTO.... lol

Well people, buy my J-body crap, so I can start on a RWD T-body! lol

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:15 PM
Why not? If there's a WRX powered Justy in the world, there's room for a Quad powered Chevette. I think there should be at least one crazy example of every crappy car in existence.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:48 PM
Some info on this page. Lots of talk no complete swaps that I found yet.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/chevychevetteclub/message/461

Friday, November 04, 2011 3:38 AM
What happened to the Quad4 Fiero idea, Brian? Overplayed? I was seriously considering a Fiero for a Quad4 swap myself until I started looking into Miatas.

I have no signiture
Friday, November 04, 2011 7:24 AM
Im behind this. I feel like the Q4R bellhousing adapter is overpriced for what it looks like though.

Id go standalone if youre doing a custom swap. Why limit yourself with the J-Body ECM?

Friday, November 04, 2011 8:33 AM
There was one guy a while ago that was working on building a LNF Chevette. I don't know if it ever was finished or not?

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Friday, November 04, 2011 11:33 AM
Whalesac wrote:What happened to the Quad4 Fiero idea, Brian? Overplayed? I was seriously considering a Fiero for a Quad4 swap myself until I started looking into Miatas.

Couldn't find a decent priced '88, and my dad's '88 Formula is just about ready to go with it's Turbo 3400 swap.

TheSundownFire wrote:Im behind this. I feel like the Q4R bellhousing adapter is overpriced for what it looks like though.

Id go standalone if youre doing a custom swap. Why limit yourself with the J-Body ECM?

That Q4R's bell housing is over priced. Mantaparts is a bit cheaper.... but it is Manta.
I have a MEFI-4 setup and MSD DIS2-HO Ignition.... Should be able to get the job done. The OEM would just be 'easier' lol.

Looked into mounting, shouldn't be to bad. Block has spots to put mounts on either side (rwd hot rods do it just fine)
Oil pan.... Nothing a welder can't handle.
Exhaust..... simple enough.
Intake..... A little work (Fetter style intake)

Hope this guy gets back to me about buying my coupe door and rad/condenser... Cash from that can get me the Chevette.
Looking @ 2 Chevettes right now. One has a full frame for a V8 swap, but no suspension. The other is stock, just has the engine and trans already pulled (V8 swap that fell thru).

Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:28 AM
Making a little headway, sold a couple GTO parts on CL. Should have enough for the Chevette here soon.

Looking threw the parts I have in the garage.....
-complete LD9 w/ spun bearing
-short block LG0 w/ spun bearing
-good LD9 crank
-JE LD9 Pistons
-Spec Clutch and Flywheel (idk if it's usable for the RWD)
-2.4 intake flange
-2.4 exhaust flange

Sunday, November 06, 2011 2:00 PM
a eco powered chitvette would be sweet

ill be starting on my eco powered vega next year , got the car , motor and trans already

Sunday, November 06, 2011 2:44 PM

For alll that work.... I think you should go Eco...

And for all that work you should go turbo 2200...

Therefore 2200 > Everything...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:54 PM
Eco = Poo

Besides, if I wanted a RWD Eco, or 2200 for that matter, I would buy one. 2200 S10.... Sky or Solstice (although cool, if I bought one it would get a LS motor fast!)

More of a "wow" factor if it's not a factory swap, besides the Quad family is just as good as any Eco motor. The last factor involved is MONEY! Its just a beater fun car. The goat is my baby.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 5:31 PM
Im glad youre going for this. Ive always had a soft spot for Chevettes for some reason. Ill be watching. Haha.

Monday, November 07, 2011 7:51 PM
Made an offer on one.... waiting to hear back from him....

mean while.....

HOT!!! (not the one I'm trying to buy)

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:37 AM
hahaha hell yes brian id say go for it. sounds fun and i know it'd be cool with you at the helm.

john from quad 4 rods is workable.. what you see priced on the website isnt nessesarily what he'll charge. he's a good man, just give him a call and tell him who you are and what you're about, i bet he cuts you a deal. he did for me...

as for mantapart, well... you COULD try and get ahold of tim (partzseller27) on ebay and see if he has any but i highly doubt it as mantapart is done, says so right on the website.

ps, how much for the good LD9 crank? (is it still std/std?) and are the JE pistons new or used?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:14 PM
Thanks Brad!

I'll contact John when I get that far, see what we can do.

As far as Manta, yea..... I know they "Closed" Mantapart, but I'll talk to TIm and see if they have any around. I have his email addy from a past job I did for them.

The crank is uncut with clean journals.... but it might end up in my next build (2.3 block.... 2.4 crank.... you know where I'm going)
The JE Pistons are used, but still in pretty good shape. I bought them used for my first 2.4 build after I blew it up, and then when I did the big build, I bored it over and couldnt use them. If interested, make me an offer (could use a set of eagle rods.... I know you have a set of used ones laying around )

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:31 PM
lol you do not want my used set of eagles... trust me.

and damn it i need a good crank!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:45 PM
well I do have another engine here. Once I get it torn down, I can see how bad the crank is.... maybe have that one reground (since its going into the 2.3 anyway)....

Whats wrong with the Eagles? Thought you said it was a mixed set of "good" rods?

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:07 PM
you said it.. they are a mixed set. idk where the weights are etc, one could need 10 grams shaved off it, hell 3 could if one is super light LOL been there, done that.

specifics on je's?

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:50 PM
Stock bore, flat top (stock compression).

Weights are fine, they would go with the crank, pistons, and possibly flywheel and crank pulley, to get balanced anyway.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:50 AM
I completely endorse this project.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search