Ecotec VVT in a s10? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec VVT in a s10?
Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:39 AM
My buddy has a 2000 Chevy S10 Extreme w/180k mi. and is in need of a new motor

now he is considering an ECOtec but now saw the VVT 2.4

would anyone know if this is possible and if it is..what are we lookin at..

The ECU need to be replaced? Mounts? reposition the tranny? etc.

Re: Ecotec VVT in a s10?
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:35 AM
why would you even try when there are already kits for V8 swaps? 170bhp is not enough to move a 3500 lbs truck very quickly, so why spend the effort? The only logical reason to swap to a different engine than original is to get more power, in order to go faster.... that truck with a 2.4 eco will still be slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww. If you don't care about going fast, then put a stock original engine back in. And if you think you're gonna put in the 2.4 and then turbo it or something, yeah, see how many problems people are having with tuning fuel in 2.2 ecos now, and then add tuning VVT to the mix.... Get a 350 SBC lol... its probably the only time you'll EVER hear me say that.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:41 AM
yeah no @!#$, why the hell would you try to put an ecotec in there, I cant think of any real advantages. Either put a stock 4-cyl in it (I'm assuming thats what it came with), put the 4.3L vortec in it, or put a v8 in it.

now with that being said, go look at some s10 forums.
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:49 AM
Even the 2.2 eco would be a hell of an improovement form the stock 2.2, you are talking +40HP and a lighter engine!!

the 2.4 would be even better!

anything is better than the wimpy 2200, and any eco will get much better gas milage than the 4300!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:53 AM
He said the S-dime is an Xtreme, to my knowledge there are NO Xtreme's with the 2200 in them. The package is a "sport and speed" type of package, so why the he11 would they put in a lowly 2.2L?! I think they all came w/ the 4.3L Vortec (for 2000 anyway), so I would drop in a newer Vortec, freshened up (bore, forged parts, etc) and turbo the bish!!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:07 AM
^^^2200 I-4 on the Xtreme exists. I taught my friend how to do performance driving when he just bought it. Oh it was 5-speed manual too.

Personally I'd drop in a LS2 in it.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:12 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^^^2200 I-4 on the Xtreme exists. I taught my friend how to do performance driving when he just bought it. Oh it was 5-speed manual too.

Personally I'd drop in a LS2 in it.

Huh, learn something new LS2 would be nice Since it's so new, nobody would really expect it either Just gotta put a quiet exhaust on it so the truck sounds stock

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:20 AM
Nick@USOL.com wrote:Even the 2.2 eco would be a hell of an improovement form the stock 2.2, you are talking +40HP and a lighter engine!!

the 2.4 would be even better!

anything is better than the wimpy 2200, and any eco will get much better gas milage than the 4300!

we can say anything is an improvement over the stock 2.2, but is it gonna be worth the extra cost and work to get the cavalier engine to fit... most likely not.

his BEST bet is to go with a stock 4cyl or the stock 6cyl, everything he needs he can get easily. Those came from the factory, they fit and they work.

Even the v8 swaps are easy to do now, they're a dime a dozen, TONS of write ups and how to's... the real factor in a v8 swap would be the cost of the motor and parts. But even if a v8 swap cost the same or more than an ECO swap it would still be worth it. More power and if you dont floor it all the time you'll get decent gas mileage
Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:24 AM
the eco should drop in with no major mods, the 2200 is used in the cavy too remember.

yes, the eXtreme package includes:

lower stance
different wheels
low profile tires
and the eXtreme badge kit

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:22 PM
Nick@USOL.com wrote:the eco should drop in with no major mods, the 2200 is used in the cavy too remember.

yes, the eXtreme package includes:

lower stance
different wheels
low profile tires
and the eXtreme badge kit

lol what u mean to say is

"plastic and lowering blocks" meh, not my cup o tea lol. but i prefer 1st gens

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:41 PM
I wouldn't waste my time with an Ecotec in an S10 unless you are doing FI. Just swap in the 4.3L V6 that was available in 2000. It puts down 190hp, 250lb-ft torque, and responds very nicely to mods. For the price you'll pay to put in that Eco, you could drop in one of these, with a good exhaust, headers, intake and chip (well, reprogrammer actually) and be pushing a heck of a lot more power. The S10 is heavy, a couple hundred shy of 4000lbs, so torque is a very nice thing to have. The 4.3 will give you that for a good price. The other swaps will cost you more money.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:37 PM
DOnt forget that the Only 2.4 ECO VVT and tranny ment for RWD is in the Solstice.
Good luck finding a doner Solstice.

I am all that is man

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:48 PM
^^ im sure there is one in the junk yard. Some stupid rich kid probably already totaled one.

dan

"I refuse to talk to my wife, as long as there is a TV in this house". Al Bundy
Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:30 PM
to put in a 2.4 eco, you need the engine, trans, wiring harness, ecu, custom driveshaft, mounts.... all that money, and work, and the truck still wouldn't be able to break 16's probably, if that... Is it faster than the 2.2? sure, but just because "slow" is faster than "ridiculously slow" doesn't mean its worth it.

If it is a 2200 that you're removing, then you're better off swapping to a 4.3 or v8 if you're looking for power.

If its a blown 4.3, and for some idiot reason you are considering replacing it with an eco, then i don't even have anything to say.... an SBC bolts up to the trans, and mounts for such a conversion are readily available and cheap. You will almost never hear me say to put a v8 in something... this is one of the rare exceptions where a V8 is really the ONLY engine worth swapping in their because you can do it for cheap and have A LOT of potential to be fast.

A boosted 2.2 eco with a built engine putting down 320 whp is still just barely tying the power struggle with a stock camaro/trans am engine... the weight difference while significant, isn't enough to make the cost of a built motor and the rest of the swap worth it...

A 2.4? Until someone cracks the ecu, don't count on turboing it... its enough of a bitch trying to tune the 2.2 without vvt. And don't think you'll be lucky enough where the vvt mapping for an all motor 2.4 will work very well with a turbo. Hands down, this swap is not worth the hassle or the money.

The eco would be a great swap into a 2.2 cavalier, where the lighter weight means that the additional 40 hp makes a much bigger difference than it would in a truck.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, February 03, 2006 4:55 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:

A 2.4? Until someone cracks the ecu, don't count on turboing it... its enough of a bitch trying to tune the 2.2 without vvt. And don't think you'll be lucky enough where the vvt mapping for an all motor 2.4 will work very well with a turbo. Hands down, this swap is not worth the hassle or the money.

Um.......Hahn already has a turbo 2.4vvt Solstice pumping out 250-257HP to the rear wheels.

I am all that is man

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:33 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
A boosted 2.2 eco with a built engine putting down 320 whp is still just barely tying the power struggle with a stock camaro/trans am engine... the weight difference while significant, isn't enough to make the cost of a built motor and the rest of the swap worth it...

I completely disagree with this statement...

I had a 83 Chevette slapped a 383 stroker in it with 411 rear gear.
Before I was finished with it everyone said "That swap isn't worth the time or money to do it.", after I finished it they all wanted to take a run down the track in it.

Something about a car that tops out at 55MPH, doing bar stands and running mid - high 10's in a quarter, baffles the mind.
The swap would be easy and buying a 2.4 Eco for $1200 even makes it alot easier.

2.4 V V T Ecotec $1250

Everyone is so quick to judge and degrade people for wanting to do different things with their cars...
Please people, grow up, when a swap is a rare one and still upgrades the older motor, then it was well worth it.
Even if you just get bragging rights.

When I was younger I put a KX80 engine on a go Kart, was it wasted or overkill because I could've put in a Briggs and Stratton engine with the same power?!?
Saturday, February 04, 2006 3:06 PM
Quote:

Something about a car that tops out at 55MPH, doing bar stands and running mid - high 10's in a quarter, baffles the mind.

Note what you said there.... doing 10's in the 1/4. 2.4 eco would do 16's.... MAYBE. Not worth spending that kind of money on when you could spend less to go a lot faster. And if you're not racing the car, its even more of a pointless expense. Your chevette was taking something wickedly slow and making it something wickedly fast... A 1.6L OHV to a worked 383 stroker is a worthwhile swap... how much did you increase the power in one shot? This swap would be taking something "piss slow" and upgrading it to "just plain slow". The link you provided is just an engine. You need engine management, wiring, mounts, transmission, driveshaft, etc.... when I've already had a friend buy a whole 4.3L swap for 1500 with engine, trans, and wiring/ecu, it hardly seems worth it to spend close to double to wind up with 20 hp less and less torque.

So yes, its very easy for me to say that its not worth the money to go with an Eco when there are cheaper options that will net more power at the same time.

And ok, my bad about the 2.4 tuning.... but my point still remains in that for the amount of money you'd have to spend on a 2.4 to make it as powerful as a stock 350 sbc swap makes it fiscally STUPID to go with the 2.4. If you like the idea THAT much, and have the money to blow, then fine, do what you want.... But make no bones about it, in a hp/dollar sense, it IS NOT WORTH IT.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, February 04, 2006 3:37 PM
yawn..... everybody knows everything, but yet nobody knows @!#$.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search