3800 SC Install...with pics. - Page 9 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SC Install...(NEED HELP)
Saturday, May 15, 2004 2:54 PM
Edubs: Thanks.

=GreenZ= wrote:any update?

My last post..

I hope to have it all done and ready to go sometime this week. <br>

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132

Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:36 PM
well, whats goin on eh!?!? <br>

Friday, May 21, 2004 8:41 AM
yeah whats the deal now... havent heard from u in a long 6 days!!!!! <br>

Friday, May 21, 2004 1:30 PM
He`s busy working and getting car done <br>

Saturday, May 22, 2004 3:28 AM
THE CAR IS ON THE RAOD

Nathan scrapped the lower engine mount and built from scratch. He installed the filter housing and built around it. I now have one very beefy mount that allows the lines for the new oil relocation kit to work (complete with skid plate to protect the lines). The new filter is an oil filter for a 5L and is about twice the size of stock. It is located on the subframe below the rad fan, makes for a nice easy oil change.

Their is a catch though....for now Nathan and Brad have grounded me and I can only give it 1/2 throtle intill he builds another mount in the rear. The engine is not moving right now but better safe than sorry before I go WOT or give it some nitrous. I had the car out for a few hours last night and holy F@#k. I have way more "butt dyno" power now at 1/2 throtle than my 2.4L ever did on nitrous (100 shot). I can't wait to get her on the dyno to see what the actual numbers are. The supercharger just screams, it is actually louder than the exhaust. I am hitting about 8 psi at 1/2 throtle. There are no flat spots in the RPM range, it just pulls and pulls very strong.

We still have some bugs to work out but they are only small. There is a lot of vibration in the car as well. The rear view mirror looks like I'm pushing 150+ DB and I have no system . I think I am going to have to get some rubber bushings made up for the dog bone mounts for everyday driving and then swap in the aluminum ones at the track.

I have pics of the new mount and new oil filter location but they are at the shop right now. If I can get ahold of them today I will post them up.

So after quite some time I finnaly have my car back. I want to give Nathan (who built it) and Brad (the owner of Double Z Automotive) all the props in the world. Without these guys it wouldn't look or perform the way it does today.

P.S. as soon as the rear mount is done I'm going to try to get some old 15's and make the biggest smoke show you've ever seen I will get video of that for sure. Next week I might go out and rent a digital video camera so that you guys can see and hear the car in action. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Saturday, May 22, 2004 6:39 PM
Awesome man, glad to hear you got to drive it after all this time.
Sunday, May 23, 2004 7:10 AM
Hey raven (James) Give me a call its roger ive been wanting to see your car.
Sunday, May 23, 2004 9:17 PM
Well it's been a stressful few days with the car. I didn't hurt the engine but I did manage to rip a side skirt off the car! I just got home from camping and I'm pretty tired so I'm going to bed. I will post up the details with pics when I can. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:08 AM
Can't wait to see these vids! <br>

98sunfire4dr
Tuesday, May 25, 2004 9:51 AM
Update....

Here are the pics of the new front lower mount, new oil filter housing and relocation kit.

New housing with adapter...

New oil lines, complete with skid plate...

New location of filter (yes it is a Mopar filter, I have to change that )...

Here are the pics of the new front lower mount...

As far as the car goes mechanicly....

The car works awsome, better than I could of hoped for really. I haven't really been pushing it very hard but it still works great. I went away for the weekend with it and got a chance to crusie on the highway with it. There is a lot of vibration still in the car that has to be figured out. The panels inside the car rattle quite a bit and is kind of annoying on long drives. I'm probably going to get some rubber bushings made up for the dog bones for everyday driving and then swap in the aluminum ones at the track. That should take care of most of the vibration throughout the car. To go from 110kms to 170kms in 4th gear at 1/2 throtle takes about 4 seconds. The speedo just climbs, faster than my tach use to with the 2.4l, even 5th gear pulls hard, more than enough to beat most honda's on the highway. In 5th gear I can pull out and pass with no problems, for everyday highway driving there is no reason to take it out of 5th at all. I have practiced some launches with it too, 1st gear is pretty much useless but if you feather the gas it's not too bad. 2nd gear is fine till about 1/2 throtle and then it lights the tries up but with some practice I should be able to minamize the wheel spin quite a bit by feathering the gas. 3rd gear is fine and pulls very very hard right now but I haven't gone more than 1/2 throtle so I'm not sure what it will do at full throtle but I will let you know. As of today I have a little over 500kms on the car, once I get to 1000kms I can start to push it. The shop is going to try and have the new rear lower mount finnished and installed this week sometime and then I can go out and give it WOT to see how it is going to perform. I have run into a few small problems so far. The crank pulley needs to be replaced (it's rattleing a bit) and the tensioner for the supercharger belt needs to be replaced. The only other issue that we are having right now with it is the timing. The scanner is showing the timing back 25 degrees and I should be seeing about 30 degrees advance. We have been in contact with DHP (Digital Horsepower) and they are saying that the problem looks like something other than the PCM. I am going to swap out the ICM tomorrow morning to see if that fixes the problem and then go from there. When the timing issues are solved the car should have even more power. Some people were interested in how the car handles. Well it still handles great, it does tend to push a slight bit more on sharp turns but nothing serious at all.

I am off work this Friday so I am going to get ahold of a video camera and get some footage of the car in action. If we get the new rear mount done by then then I will film a smoke show for everyone.

Finnaly here is a pic of what happened to my passenger side skirt...

The story goes like this.... I was out with some friends at a local "hang-out" and I went to turn around. I tried to use the shoulder of the road to turn on but I didn't realize that there was too much of a drop from the pavement to the shoulder (the car is about 1" lower than last year). I ended up bottoming out the side skirt on the road. I backed up and stupid me didn't get out to check it. When I went up the road and got up to speed the wind got ahold of it and ripped it off the car. I have an extra side here so I should be able to get that one painted and put back on the car soon. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, May 25, 2004 2:09 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh baby... I`m excited James <br>

Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:52 AM
Well it's been raining here for the last two days and they are calling for rain till Monday. If it clears up tomorrow then I will get some video of it, if not then I am going to wait for a nice day. No point in filming it in the rain.

I got my new tach installed today as well and it works mint. I have tomorrow off work so I'm going to see if I can get some of the interior to stop rattling so that I can hear myself think when I'm driving.

We should have it in the shop tomorrow to get the rear mount installed too. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Thursday, May 27, 2004 9:40 AM
Damn, I REALLY gotta get working on my car now!!!!

Thursday, May 27, 2004 9:43 AM
Yes you do!!! Now get off the computer and get to work <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:55 PM
im going im going!

Friday, May 28, 2004 7:41 AM
Double Z has started the next 3800 swap. It is going into a 98 Cavalier, I took some pics this morning...

Here is the next 3800 cavalier...

Here is the donar car, it's a 97 Olds 88 LSS with 128,000kms on it...

This car should be done and on the road by the end of next month.

Here are some random pics I took this morning of the shop...

Right now there are only two bays but there are plans in the near future to add more bays...

Here is a pic of Nathan's tool box (the blue one). It has every tool you can think of in it.

This is a pic of the main office and Andre (manager) behind the desk...

This is a pic of my new tach. I really don't like the way it looks on the dash (too big) so I wired it with quick connects so I can take it off and put it in the glove box when I don't need to use it. I also have to install my new momo steering wheel.

I'm going to try and borrow a friends video camera this afternoon as long as the rain holds off and get some video of the car in action so I can post up some vids for everyone. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Friday, May 28, 2004 7:50 AM
sweet, i cannot wait to see it man!!! congrats <br>

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, May 28, 2004 11:08 AM
It's not raining out james I hope you are out burning the $hit out of you tires for us! I wan't to see some vids <br>

98sunfire4dr
Friday, May 28, 2004 12:20 PM
i agree. let's see some smoke.

Once finished, have you thought about prettying it up and submitting a few pics and maybe your story to SportCompactCar or somethin? itd be nice to see this beast get some publicity. *shrug* <br>

Suck, squish, bang, blow... muahahahaha!!
Friday, May 28, 2004 5:33 PM
Sorry fellas, I didn't end up getting getting ahole of a camera today. I am going to rent one next week and get some footage. Sorry I couldn't post something up tonight.

Speedfreek2k1: The car was featured in Sport Compact National last year but right now is in no shape for an article. Give me a few months to get everything back together and cleaned up along with all the bugs worked out and I will start submitting things. I'm going to submit something to J-body Magazine when the car is ready. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Saturday, May 29, 2004 10:01 PM
I was at racetech today and Joe showed me the flywheel he was sending out for that cavalier - it looks sweet!!!
I have the same tach as you do, but i am mounting mine on the other side of the gauges right by the A-pillar, its hidden away a little more there.

Sunday, May 30, 2004 10:38 AM
Yeah it's the same flywheel that is in my car. When we were going mine we sent them a flex plate from the 3800 and a flywheel from a cavalier and they designed the new aluminum flywheel. It looks and performs awsome thats for sure. I would of mounted my tach on that side but my boost and air/fuel gauge are there. It's not that big of a deal though, I take it off the dash and store it in the glove box when I'm just cruising around the city. I can hook it back up in only a few minutes. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Sunday, May 30, 2004 1:28 PM
I got a question for ya. Do you know which flywheel i would use if i didnt get the aluminum one from racetech and what i would have to do to it? I will be using the same tranny as you are. Could i just mount a 2000 2.2L flywheel to the 3800?

Sunday, May 30, 2004 1:43 PM
Darren... I`m having one custom made for me by Rick Bolwell, not sure on the price difference between him and Racetechs but I do know Rick`s is indestructable, its been proven up to Rick`s HP and torque <br>

Sunday, May 30, 2004 2:20 PM
well reacetech wants to charge me $650, whats the price of his?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search