IAT resistors, work. - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IAT resistors, work.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:56 AM
Bone stock the 2200 came from factory with @!#$ tons of knock on 87 apparently from what PJ and I discovered. Switched to 89 it went way down.

Surprised the hell otu of both of us.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:59 AM
With older engines carbon deposits build up in the combustion chambers of the head and valves, on top of pistons, etc.. your adding material to the combustion chambers which causes the compression ratio to go up. It's not that uncommon for old engines to like a little higher octane because of it.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:02 AM
Still not something I would have expected from a motor with under 40k on it though.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:14 AM
That reply was to Misnblu about his Cav and Paseo you posted while I was typing

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:26 AM
I noticed about .300 better of a time with 93 in, 87 sucks more than I thought. So since I can't use leaded I will plan on using 93 with some octane boost, I want to get some really good runs in to determine if this works for everyone here.

I know personally and in my opinion that it works, but on that crappy 87 gas it evidently didn't prove much. But it still did do a little something.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:30 AM
No, you don't need octane boost at all.
Geez, sometimes you just don't get it.
Too much octane slows down the burn process so that pre-ignition or knock won't occur or at least the higher octane prevents this from happnening.
Just stick with the 93 octane and you'll be good to go.

And thanks Ryan and you hit the nail on the head with your post.
168,000 on the daily driver and 196,000 on the 'blu.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:33 AM
Ok, 93 then, I'm just trying to do the best thing.

Out of curiosity why do they make octane boost then?...haha

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:56 AM
Crazy thread we have here lol.

Nice runs last night Verocity. Too bad it rained after those few runs we made.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:08 AM
Yeah crazy thread, haha. I know man, I hope next tuesday it doesn't rain, I want me and you to get more runs in, just me and you.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:25 AM
Verocity wrote:Ok, 93 then, I'm just trying to do the best thing.

um... because if they can, companies will try to sell sit to a portapotty.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:03 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
Verocity wrote:Ok, 93 then, I'm just trying to do the best thing.

um... because if they can, companies will try to sell sit to a portapotty.

Because Rice Boys will buy it.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:54 AM
It's a proven fact that those octane boost remedies only give you maybe a .5 octane boost over what you're now running.
Not worth it.
And yeah, people buy it because the media says it works.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:14 PM
I'll get some good runs in next tuesday, I want atleast 3 of each, it pisses me off that it started raining and I couldn't get it done 100%, and the 87 just makes my car run so different.

I also plan on getting some schaeffers racing oil and a top of the line oil filter from my brother in law soon, he may be able to tune my car too, he owns his own portable dyno!

Other than that I plan on doing some nitrous within the next 2 months or so, should I do exhaust or header or anything before nitrous?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:17 PM
There's alot involved with nitrous and not just hooking up a system to your car and going.
Read up on it with a google search and study what is needed to do nitrous properly on a near stock car.
And adding racing oil will do nothing for your car.
Regular oil is best, synthetic being better. If anything, get some Royal Purple for your crankcase and you'll be good.
Mobil1 will do the trick although I prefer the Royal Purple as I've had experience with both.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:36 PM
ive got some regular crap from an express oil change in now, will it be ok to go over to royal purple after running this stuff? And I understand nitrous to a point, colder plugs, and enough air for it, and make sure your fuel pressure is in check..thats about it, my question is..can the stock exhaust handle it? Or will it @!#$ a brick, lol.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:59 PM
My car ran it's fastest n/a times on 87.

If you are going to get your car tuned, then I recommend not having this mod on it during tuning, or using it anymore.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:42 PM
Verocity wrote:ive got some regular crap from an express oil change in now, will it be ok to go over to royal purple after running this stuff? And I understand nitrous to a point, colder plugs, and enough air for it, and make sure your fuel pressure is in check..thats about it, my question is..can the stock exhaust handle it? Or will it @!#$ a brick, lol.

from what i understand your stock exhaust can probly handle it but a free flowing exhaust is probly a safer bet,along with the fact it's just a good thing to do for your car.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:17 PM
really john? dang. It may be the difference in the motor, but every time I run 87, i have worse times, by a pretty big difference too. And I may get it tuned, if I do It won't be with the resistor in, the resistor is just a little thing to fool around with, and I believe it works, with a N/A engine atleast, I wouldn't try it most likely on anything supercharged or turbo'd, thats a whole different story.

In about a year or so I plan on saleing this car and buying a Cobalt SS/SC, no worries there with resistors trying to make my car fast, it will be fast

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:20 PM
if you wanted a fast car you'd get a cobalt ss/tc! j/k

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:59 PM
Not to change the thread topic but SC I would prob. prefer..and I don't think there is really much difference in power.

PLUS..I want whine.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:03 PM
i think alot of people would disagree with you as far the the difference in power,but that's just me,given the choice of the two i'd take turbo any day.not saying that supercharger's are worthless i would just much rather have a turbo for a 4cyl i gotta believe there's alot more potential.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:22 PM
Quote:

LOL and omg resistance This is going to get epic

]:-> 287 TimeSlips In Hand. Car Still Runs Strong... 3 Differentials Later ]:->
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:57 PM
Verocity wrote:got 3 runs in tonight, it started raining and I couldn't get done what I wanted to 100% I was running 87 gas, and evidently it was some bad gas or something, my car ran like ass.

On tuesday's they do not run the tree, they line you up, tell you when to stop and you go when she moves the flag down.

I got in 2 runs normal - motor, here are the results. I am #50

The gas I had in my car evidently sucked ass, I've never had it run so crappy, the resistor obviously helped though.

There is a gas station with 110 leaded, is that ok to put in the car?

And next tuesday, I plan on getting some GOOD runs in, about 3 or 4 each.

dude. i really have to break it to you. this test of yours is full holes. i have been racing probably longer than you have been driving. i have raced a couple of jobies, suv's, various rental cars at different tracks around my area. and one universal truth i have learned is that your 1st run can and will vary from your last run by as much as half a second or more. that can be due to any number of reasons. just last friday i took the cav out racing and my best run in timeshots was a 16.67. my best run was in the finals of my class was a 16.33 and i even let up at the end and still went faster than my dial-in. once the sun sets the density altitude can change making your car go faster. even in the middle of the day it can still happen.
and higher octane gas wont do anything unless you really need it. i have an LS1 which needs 93 just to run. i had put 5 gallons of 110 leaded octane gas in my camaro and it didnt do jack for me. maybe if your car is running like crap do a tune up. feul filter, oil change, plugs, etc

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:14 PM
fuel filter, oil change, just got done, new plugs got done at 73,000, it has 80,000, all yall want to talk @!#$, why don't you try the resistor since you all know so much?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:17 PM
don't get so personal man,lol,show a dyno then they can't say nething,until a dyno proves a gain it don't mean @!#$ as stated above^ it could've been any number of factors that changed your track times not just the resistor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search