IAT resistors, work. - Page 7 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IAT resistors, work.
Monday, October 19, 2009 7:33 PM
[ion wrote: C2]
SS-J wrote:Correct me if im wrong but dosent the air intake temperature sensor ONLY retard ignition timing when it senses hot air?

Yep, and quite hot air.
SS-J wrote:I live in arizona.. and when i go to the track i useually run @!#$ times until it cools off.. .

Due to ACTUALLY denser air, not just what the IAT sensor reads. IAT does not control ignition timing unless the air is extremely hot, and it retards that advance for a reason! Detonation is bad.

Im not too worried about detonation.. not yet any ways.

But thanks for posting and contributing factual information onto Jbo.. tired of too much of the usual BS.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:34 PM
Verocity wrote:So if it only adjusts when its too hot then why is any car faster in colder weather? A sensor reads cold air somewhere and adds fuel..explain to me what sensor does this.

It does not. Cars have "more power" in colder temps because the air is denser(like your skull) and it leans out your Air/Fuel.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:40 PM
So it magically leans out when it colder? Whats doing it?

And keep out the smart ass comments, lets discuss not flame.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:42 PM
srry man, ur time to say no flaming ended a long time ago.
the resistor does'nt work. it just does'nt.

DYNO SHEETS! PROVE IT!, THEN COME BACK AND SLAP US ALL IN THE FACE WITH UR E-PEEN.UNTIL THEN, GET OVER THE FLAMING!

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:43 PM
Verocity wrote:So it magically leans out when it colder? Whats doing it?

Think about what your saying.. when its colder out AIR is more DENSE so there is MORE of it.. with the SAME fuel but COLDER air the Air/Fuel would go toward the LEAN side yes.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:50 PM
SS-J wrote:
Verocity wrote:So it magically leans out when it colder? Whats doing it?

Think about what your saying.. when its colder out AIR is more DENSE so there is MORE of it.. with the SAME fuel but COLDER air the Air/Fuel would go toward the LEAN side yes.

x2.

But i'll translate it so you can understand it.

Yes, it magically leans our in colder weather. Remember the wizard dude from Lord of the Rings? There are millions of them and there is one in each car ECU casting magic spells to lean out your Air/Fuel mixture.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 19, 2009 8:04 PM
lol alright. When I get a chance to run on the dyno ill try the resistor and get back to ya'll.

Monday, October 19, 2009 8:06 PM
Tinkles... do we also have unicorns in our mufflers?

Monday, October 19, 2009 8:09 PM
EcoCav [DesertTuners.com wrote:]Tinkles... do we also have unicorns in our mufflers?

I do, but i dont know about yours. You are going to have to find a Gnome and have him crawl inside to check.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 19, 2009 9:00 PM
Verocity wrote:So if it only adjusts when its too hot then why is any car faster in colder weather? A sensor reads cold air somewhere and adds fuel..explain to me what sensor does this.

Dude.

I've said this a few times in the thread and it's been reiterated by many in our explanations on how things work. The IAT sensor is not the sensor that deals with fueling. The IAT sensor MPG trick is a scam. The OXYGEN SENSOR (O2 sensor) in the exhaust is what adjusts the fueling in closed loop. The sensor reads 14.6 AFR very accurately, and the reading bounces back and forth on either side (rich, too much fuel; and lean, too much air). The sensor allows the computer to adjust the fuel trims, which add or subtract fuel by a certain percentage based on the O2 sensor's readings.

Open loop operation is not affected by the O2 sensor's readings, so your heavy throttle/wide open throttle air-fuel mixture will not be adjusted based on the amount of air coming in. Colder weather will cause leaner air-fuel ratios in open loop. Closed loop operation (using the O2 sensor's output) isn't affected since it adjusts the fueling on-the-fly to try and keep the car at the stoichiometric 14.6:1 air-fuel ratio at idle and normal driving around conditions.

The air is denser, there is more of the molecules in air per any given amount when the temperature drops. With denser air, you can produce more power with the proper amount of fueling.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:32 PM
Verocity wrote:lol alright. When I get a chance to run on the dyno ill try the resistor and get back to ya'll.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:33 PM
Verocity wrote:lol alright. When I get a chance to run on the dyno ill try the resistor and get back to ya'll.

yeah you said that back in early august

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:42 AM
i put a resistor in the IAT sensor on my sunfire and i noticed a differece, not a big one but enough to notice

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:30 AM
Nathan Dean wrote:i put a resistor in the IAT sensor on my sunfire and i noticed a differece, not a big one but enough to notice

no, you didnt.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:54 AM
yeah i did actually you didnt drive my car so you cant tell, every car is going to react differently to them even if they have the same setup

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:04 AM
Nathan Dean wrote:yeah i did actually you didnt drive my car so you cant tell, every car is going to react differently to them even if they have the same setup

[ion wrote: C2]I agree with the above poster as well. It's very frustrating that you still have been unable to get it through your head and cling to this unknown magic you think is making your car go quicker instead of researching how things actually work instead of throwing in a resistor and thinking it actually increases power. You're the demographic the eBay performance chip retailers market to.

re-read the thread, and notice how the people who actually know how to tune these cars say that there is now possible way that this did anything. then realize that you're experiencing the placebo effect. you did something to your car, and were expecting results. therefore, you think you felt results.

again i say, no, you didn't.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:11 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Nathan Dean wrote:yeah i did actually you didnt drive my car so you cant tell, every car is going to react differently to them even if they have the same setup

[ion wrote: C2]I agree with the above poster as well. It's very frustrating that you still have been unable to get it through your head and cling to this unknown magic you think is making your car go quicker instead of researching how things actually work instead of throwing in a resistor and thinking it actually increases power. You're the demographic the eBay performance chip retailers market to.

re-read the thread, and notice how the people who actually know how to tune these cars say that there is now possible way that this did anything. then realize that you're experiencing the placebo effect. you did something to your car, and were expecting results. therefore, you think you felt results.

again i say, no, you didn't.

Exactly!!!

If I were to take it out without you knowing I could guarantee you wouldn't notice.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:03 AM
i said i felt a small difference, i was told about it and thought it was a bunch of BS but i decided to try it anyway since it cost next to nothing, all it did was give me the slightest bit more throttle response, i never expected to get hp gains from it

Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:12 AM
IAT RESISTORS DONT WORK. f'in noob
Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:18 AM
Nathan Dean wrote:i said i felt a small difference, i was told about it and thought it was a bunch of BS but i decided to try it anyway since it cost next to nothing, all it did was give me the slightest bit more throttle response, i never expected to get hp gains from it

i got better throttle response from driving with my doors open, hood popped, and sub on the roof.

your statement makes just as much sense as mine.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:47 PM
No dyno yet? I have a proposal!!!!
I will paypal you money for a couple dyno pulls.... If you gain HP/Torque.... If you DO see gains... I will let you keep the money and you dont have to pay me back...
On the other hand if you DONT see gains you have to send me the money back and you have to eat the resistor!!!! ]:->

Friday, October 23, 2009 9:09 AM
I'm going to call and see if I can make a trip up to the dyno saturday. I have to take a damn test for college 9-1 saturday morning then hopefully I can go up there if my bro in law is available.

I want to have dyno results more than ya'll know..even if it doesn't work Im just curious of my HP #'s..lol.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:34 AM
Any dyno yeT?

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:44 PM
Dyno scheduled December 12th...Its late but Ill get to it.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:34 PM
WOW.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search