IAT resistors, work. - Page 8 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IAT resistors, work.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:02 AM
so......results? you said dec. 12th

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:41 PM
i bet it didnt even happen

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:30 PM
Got it done, I picked up about 2 HP with the resistor, the 4.7K resistor, which tells it its about 50 or so degrees outside. Which it was like 54 outside at that time.

I need to scan the dyno sheets, My car has 95 HP without the resistor, and I got up to 97 with the resistor. Two runs of 95 HP, then the last two pulled 97 with the resistor.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:33 PM
In about a month I'm going back and I may try some different resistors and just play with it some more, my brother in law felt like crap and we just did those 4 pulls.

I'm going to get it tuned with EFILive too.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:43 PM
Awesome news man and give some credit to the theory.
But that doesn't mean I'm going to trade in my HPTuners for a resistor though.
Still it's good to see some actual dyno numbers to see how well or how it doesn't work with our cars.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:50 PM
Misnblu wrote:Awesome news man and give some credit to the theory.
Still it's good to see some actual dyno numbers to see how well or how it doesn't work with our cars.

we have'nt seen dyno numbers yet.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:51 PM
I couldn't get past 95 HP on the dyno, I put it in and the car was kinda hot take in mind, we werent running a fan with the hood popped, but I gained 2 HP, it did something!

Let me get to a scanner and scan these two sheets, ill get them up by tomorrow at latest.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:54 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Misnblu wrote:Awesome news man and give some credit to the theory.

we have'nt seen dyno numbers yet.

I believe in giving a person a chance, hence my reply.
Some of us are still old fashioned and believe in what people say.
But some numbers would be nice for proof I guess since this seems to be a possible end to an argument.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:56 PM
it might be doing something, but i still say and will always say at what cost? that sensor is'nt there for no reason. i'm worried for ur engine, i personally don't like this idea, there's been no development into what damage it could possibly do for those "2" horsepower.

and back to an earlier point in the thread, if it only adds 2 horsepower that's not something that'll change ur track times by what was it? like a half a second? 2 horsepower does not do that.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:00 PM
Agreed with the above but still, to end an argument where the whole gist of the argument was that it was a worthless mod decreasing power and mileage, this may be a way to say it's not true.
I'd also like to see where in the dyno graph it's making this power etc.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:06 PM
I honestly think it varies or something, I agree 2 HP is not really worth it, and seems really silly, but I'm posting results. I AM going to try it again and post more results just because. I want to unplug the battery and reset the ECU next time and try some different things and see if we still get 97.

And here ya go, took some with the camera.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:11 PM
Misnblu wrote:Agreed with the above but still, to end an argument where the whole gist of the argument was that it was a worthless mod decreasing power and mileage, this may be a way to say it's not true.
I'd also like to see where in the dyno graph it's making this power etc.

call me a dick, but even after seeing results i still say it's a worthless mod (regardless of how cheap it is), i never said i thought it'd decrease power, maybe it did actually give him 2 hp, but like i said bfore, at what cost? ur telling ur comp something that's not true, ALL THE TIME, does'nt seem worth it to me.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:18 PM
I'm just posting results dude, I've said what it has done at the dragstrip, and here is a dyno, and I plan on testing it a little more on the dyno.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:21 PM
and that's kool, i'm not bustin you, props on finally posting dyno's, i'm just saying i don't think it's good for ur car, i really don't.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:50 PM
Valid point, it may not be, but I just proved that it did something to all the unbelievers that said "It does nothing"

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:29 AM
Verocity wrote:Got it done, I picked up about 2 HP with the resistor, the 4.7K resistor, which tells it its about 50 or so degrees outside. Which it was like 54 outside at that time.

I need to scan the dyno sheets, My car has 95 HP without the resistor, and I got up to 97 with the resistor. Two runs of 95 HP, then the last two pulled 97 with the resistor.

Is the resistor wired in so that the car always thinks its 50 degrees, or so it always thinks it 4 degrees colder? If the comp always thinks its 50, you may have some problems when the actual temp is very different.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:37 AM
2 horsepower is not anything to mention on dyno graph variation. It doesn't prove anything. That small of an increase can be attributed to anything else. The graphs vary between pulls slightly, usually 3-4 hp at least.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:20 AM
[ion wrote: C2]2 horsepower is not anything to mention on dyno graph variation. It doesn't prove anything. That small of an increase can be attributed to anything else. The graphs vary between pulls slightly, usually 3-4 hp at least.

You beat me to it.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:23 AM
Good point, but it was also the last 2 pulls, and the car had gotten kinda hot, which anyone knows will give you less power. It was just plugged into the IAT sensor Daniel.

I should have used a sensor tricking it to say it was about 30 degrees outside, since it was already like 54 outside that day. But the 4.7K was all I had on me.

I'm going to do some more tests still, im still interested in this thing.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:28 PM
2 hp??? lmao

you wont even feel 2hp. let alone make a difference in 1/4 times

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:09 PM
99redz24 wrote:2 hp??? lmao

you wont even feel 2hp. let alone make a difference in 1/4 times

Going on a diet would probably have a greater effect on your 1/4 miles times than 2 hp.

But if this was proven to be safe and effective, I would gladly pay $0.5 for 2 hp. Alot of things could have caused that 2hp though.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:40 PM
Its pretty much leaning out your car, advancing timing, but what I think happened is the IAT was reading about the same degrees as that resistor was....since the temp outside was 54 or so and so is the resistor. I use the 4.7K resistor in the summer time when its about 80ish outside, I wish I would have had a 30 something degree resistor.

I will admit the results look like nothing, but im saying what happened. Im going to try it again though with some different settings.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:54 AM
Verocity wrote:Its pretty much leaning out your car, advancing timing, but what I think happened is the IAT was reading about the same degrees as that resistor was....since the temp outside was 54 or so and so is the resistor. I use the 4.7K resistor in the summer time when its about 80ish outside, I wish I would have had a 30 something degree resistor.

I will admit the results look like nothing, but im saying what happened. Im going to try it again though with some different settings.

That completely confused me... I thought the resistor thing was either:

1) the sensor is replaced by a resistor, so you get a constant reading of a temperature with the same value resistance as the resistor.
or
2) the resistor is inline with the sensor to alter the reading causing the the computer to think the sensor is a set value higher.
or
3)resistor in paralel to the sensor lowering the the reading by a variable amount.

So either the computer would always be getting a constant reading of whatever the resistor is. Or it would always be getting the actual reading from the sensor, plus the resistance of the resistor.

Changing resistors all the time seems stupid to me. Either you would want your car to always think it was a certain temp (option 1). Or you would want it to always think it was a certain temp higher/lower than the actual temp (option 2). I would think option 2 might actually have small benefits to getting a better afr, but option 1 and 3 just seems like you would screw @!#$ up when the resistor readng is way off of what the actual temp it.

I dont know exactly how the iat sensors work, does adding resistance make the computer think its warmer or colder?
Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:08 PM
That is all correct. And more resistance is colder. And what I was saying is I wasn't really changing what the car was reading since the temp outside and the resistor I was using where practically the same readings. Im going to try and get back there soon and test it all out again, maybe a different type resistor colder than what it is outside.

And this is a good link, describes what certain resistors temps are http://kingenterprises.net/IAT-Timing-Tricker.htm

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:21 PM
Verocity wrote:Its pretty much leaning out your car, advancing timing

Did you read anything in this thread?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search