Interest in Team Green 2.2 Coil Conversion for the ld9 - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Interest in Team Green 2.2 Coil Conversion for the ld9
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:06 AM
Well on thursday i have off work and im going to go to the junkyard and see what they charger for the 2.2 icm and coils. From there i will be able to get some solid pricing.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:12 AM
You can just take the 3 wires out of the stock ICM and run them to any coils you want. I have been doing this for 4 months. It will work.. and as for diagrams from the 2.2 and the 2.4 ICM.. the wires are all the same colors.. but I have one here....

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:16 AM
only reason i need the 2.2 icm is for the fact imeed a place to mount the coils and a way to have them wired

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:43 AM
Quote:

only reason i need the 2.2 icm is for the fact imeed a place to mount the coils

any/all coils easily mount onto a 2.2 cruise module bracket or a simple metal HomeBrew bracket

Quote:

and a way to have them wired

the factory ICM has 3 wires that go to the factory coils... just grab those 3 wires and it's the same.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:13 AM
wrench has anybody you know done this on an eco yet? i saw your other post and i REALLY want to do this but i have an eco not an ld9. will it all wire up the same? being that the eco is a DIS and so is the ld9?
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:15 AM
ge_forcez22 wrote:You can just take the 3 wires out of the stock ICM and run them to any coils you want. I have been doing this for 4 months. It will work.. and as for diagrams from the 2.2 and the 2.4 ICM.. the wires are all the same colors.. but I have one here....

From the pic of your engine bay, looks like your using the 2200 ICM and coils..... are you using the 2.4 ICM at all, or completely bypassing the 2.4 ICM and using the 2200 ICM instead?

I just dont believe in using a 2200 ICM in place or the 2.4 ICM. I'd rather keep the 2.4 ICM and use the 2200 ICM as an interface for the coils. Its the same amount of work either way.

As far as using any coils you want, yes and no. If you use 2.2/2200 coils, you need the ICM to mount the coils onto.

Brett, I'm not sure. The Eco doesnt use a Cam sensor, it senses draw across the coil to determine what stroke the cylinder is on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:18 AM

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:22 AM
Check ur PM's wrench

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:09 PM
same to you boo2point4sted

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:44 PM
in that pic I was using the 2.2 ICM and coils, I since then put the 2.4 ICM and neon coils on. You can use the 2.2 coils with the 2.4 ICM you would have to take it apart and find the 3 wires though, shouldn't be that hard... just look at the wiring diagram, the wires are there.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:56 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:in that pic I was using the 2.2 ICM and coils, I since then put the 2.4 ICM and neon coils on. You can use the 2.2 coils with the 2.4 ICM you would have to take it apart and find the 3 wires though, shouldn't be that hard... just look at the wiring diagram, the wires are there.

I seen your post in the other thread about the pic, and thats what we've done for our setup. We use the 2.4 ICM, run a adapter harness from it to the 2.2/2200 ICM. We gut the 2.2/2200 ICM and solder in jumper wires that connect the 2.4 trigger wires to the 2.2 coils, turning the 2.2/2200 ICM into a coil interface.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:10 PM
This was also posted in the other thread, which is now locked as it's a duplicate topic.
Quote:

How about we get back to the topic at hand. Unless someone took their work to a patent attorney first, stop worrying about who came up with the idea and be glad that someone is actually acting on it.

Also, if you're "really" that worried about the origination of the idea, it was originally discussed in late 2003 and early 2004 by JimmyZ. That project was a simple bolt-on upgrade kit that converted the DIS ignition completely to MSD DIS-2, MSD coils and MSD wires. It was abandoned because it was intended to be a complete bolt-on kit to include the DIS unit, coils and everything and there were warranty issues with the MSD DIS units being mounted in high-heat areas.

So anyway, back to the topic at hand. That would be the kit and methods to change to plug wires on a DIS motor. If you're after credit or accolades, patent your work before you release it publicly but please don't fight about it here.

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:43 PM
Wow someone actually likes my idea. Time isn't an issue for me, I would much rather have this thing go off smoothly and everyone be happy. Sounds like you have a little R&D to do before you bring this to "market" Keep us updated.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:37 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Wow someone actually likes my idea. Time isn't an issue for me, I would much rather have this thing go off smoothly and everyone be happy. Sounds like you have a little R&D to do before you bring this to "market" Keep us updated.

Very true. I wanted to see what kind of interest this had so now i know its going to be a hit i will push to get it done faster then expected. Im still trying to figure the best possible combo to make this A. Inexpensive and easy to install and B. Reliable due to the fact that most of rely solely on our Jbodies for transportation so i dont want anybody to be stuck on the side of the road because of a problem from the kits we decide to release

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:44 PM
ill be happy to be a prototype car for ur project...ill get pics and possibly a video of the easy startup

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:51 PM
Quote:

I seen your post in the other thread about the pic, and thats what we've done for our setup. We use the 2.4 ICM, run a adapter harness from it to the 2.2/2200 ICM. We gut the 2.2/2200 ICM and solder in jumper wires that connect the 2.4 trigger wires to the 2.2 coils, turning the 2.2/2200 ICM into a coil interface.

Thats awesome man

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:57 PM
Wrench Monkey,

Pictures sent, though I will have to take better pics of the harness

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:27 PM
I was going to be doing this swap using just the 2.2 coils and ICM, whats the advantage in using both the 2.2 and 2.4 ICM?
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:34 PM
the 2.2 icm is used as a interface module. It makes it so you dont have to hack up the stock wiring so that you can take it off if need be.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:37 PM
Mr. Dirtbag wrote:I was going to be doing this swap using just the 2.2 coils and ICM, whats the advantage in using both the 2.2 and 2.4 ICM?
Internally the 2.2 and 2.4 ICM are identical. The only difference is the packaging to accomodate two different heat sinks/heat spreaders, two different mounting styles and two different types of coil interfaces. The actual semiconductor inside is exactly the same die.

The advantage to using the 2.2 ICM in this particular application is that MSD already makes interface modules to go between the ICM and ignition coils.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:39 PM
If you use the 2.4 ICM you don't have to hack anything up either. Just unplug the 3-wire plug and go from there (grab another clip from wrecker) and pull the booties off and you will have room for plug wires.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:01 PM
What exactly would stop you from running the MSD coil made for the DIS ignitions on some mitsubishi's, its a two channel input and four post spark tower setup?
I've been considering just splicing in wires and see if it works.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:03 PM
alright, because I've got exactly whats on the left in this picture (sorry for stealing your pic garrett):

and I've got the harnesses that plug into those two places. Do I not just need to splice those wires to their corresponding colors on the stock 2.4 harness that plugs in at the end of the IDI cover?
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:36 PM
Mr. Dirtbag wrote:alright, because I've got exactly whats on the left in this picture (sorry for stealing your pic garrett):

and I've got the harnesses that plug into those two places. Do I not just need to splice those wires to their corresponding colors on the stock 2.4 harness that plugs in at the end of the IDI cover?

yes you do have to splice into the factory harness. however i do have the plugs/harness available so that its just a "plug n play" deal.

there is no point in using the 2.4L ICM when doing this swap, its just "extra" steps to take thats all. Either way it will work, no way is better than the other so which ever way it gets done will work.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:51 PM
I was just looking.. and I was thinking.. hey that looks like my work bench, AND my bottle of Brake Fluid, lol, nice... the wire colors are all the same, and the wiring diagram is at the top of this page.. you can also get it on that "rebsco, rrcc" site on the heights, just search for that and you will get the link.

twisted, when are you turbocharging something?

Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:35 AM
So if this was produced what would the consumer have to do to their cars to use the product. I have my car off the road for winter so am contemplating just doing it myself. What would we have to do to install this with the "kit" so to speak.

Sounds like its moving along nicely.
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search