Capital Punishment. - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Capital Punishment.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:00 PM on j-body.org
Like I said before I don't believe in the after life. I would much rather die that spend the rest of my life in prison.

AmazingJay

Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:52 PM on j-body.org
i stioll say for extreme crimes there should be extreme punishments, like emasculating/sterlizing serial rapists and getting serial killers out of society into places where they cannot kill anyone else. (i.e. arctic exhile).

Strange though that were really the only species ont he planet with this problem...so much for being the most advanced specie.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 5:11 PM on j-body.org

It is not just emotion. Obviously you didnt Google "Randy Greenawalt", had he been executed after his first murder, we would have saved the lives of at least 5 other people.

He was executed in 1997 and has hasnt broken out of his casket yet to kill anyone, I cant seem to figure out why though.[/

"And he had been sentences to life without parole, he wouldn't of killed anyone, either"

No he was sentenced to death in the early 70s, then DP was ruled unconstational. Then he was give LWOP and escaped and killed 5 more people.

Yes, it is correct, if it deters just ONE murder it is a deterrant. There is no way to argue that. One innocent live saved at the cost of thousands of killers is fine by me.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, August 11, 2005 5:28 PM on j-body.org
Blacks are only 13% of the US population, they commit 44% of the rapes, and 54% of the murders. Blacks kill eight white people, for every white that kills a black. So if your white your EIGHT time more likely to be killed by a black, than you are to kill a black person yourself.

The DP isnt racist, it is just that blacks commit so much of the crimes.

Another littel bit of info 71% of the US population is white, yet they make up just 44.6% of the total murders.

So you have a small 13% that commit more murders than over 70% of the population.

Geez I wonder why there are so many blacks on death row.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 6:20 PM on j-body.org
Rob that was what I was getting at but since you provided the numbers I gotta thank you

These stats are the reason more minorites are on death row. Its not racist its just the facts, more minorites commit more violent crimes so of corse there will be more of them on death row. AGuSTiN look at your own sig. You once told me its not cause your racist that you made fun of this guy but because he was a criminal, Yet I thought you were a racist untill you set me straight on what you think. The crimial justice system is no different then you my friend. They aren't racist they only prosicute those who are arrested. Its not the courts fault if more happen to be black then white. Its only
thrown out as arace issue when those who oppose the death penalty run out of reasons to stop it. There is no arguement you can provide as to why the people I gave as examples have any right to live because they do not. They gave up there right to live when they took the life of another for no reason, They made the choice themselves not
us. You say the exampl set forth by Rob is the exception to the rule and break outs don't happen often right? Tell that to the people who were killed when this guy broke out. OH WAIT you cant cause they're dead! If he had been put down in the first place
then they would still be here. I'm sorry AGuSTiN but your arguement has more holes in it then a Swiss Cheese factory and when shown this you try to play the race card.
Doesn't work that way man I'm sorry.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:12 PM on j-body.org
Ok so why do these people deserve to live? If one person just one person can give me a reasonable answer as to why they deserve life then, I will change my viewpoint right now.

But you cant, what I'm getting from some here is that the only reason they dont support the DP is that it makes us just as bad as them. PUH-leeeeeez, dont take me for a fool. The ONLY way I would ever be as bad as them is if I broke into a family's house raped then murdered the women and then beat the living @!#$ out of the men.

My POINT is if your gonna use that arguement DONT even compare me to those sick @!#$ like that. So I may lack compassion and forgiveness, so what they can kiss my ass and then rot in @!#$ hell.

Ok, now for the naysayers, I have a question for you. What is a good alternative as a punishment for these people besides the DP or life in prison?

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:37 PM on j-body.org
Well:

- Moral: we as a society are no better for killing someone that killed someone.
- Religious: it is God's job to kill people, not ours.
- Financial: the cost of the actual execution (lethal injection) will be about $45,000, it costs many millions to try, appeal, retry, re-appeal and re-retry. Many States have an automatic appeal/review by independant justices or state courts for Capital crimes.
- Jeopardy: those stakes are too high, taking someone's life versus imprisonment... you can't just animate someone that got framed and was executed.

An Alternative to the death penalty and Life imprisonment? Well, sadly, there aren't any prison colonies anymore... the last one was Australia... Hard labour camps? That's still unlikely.

The problem is that most of the people in prison now, are in for relatively soft offences (marijuana and other soft drugs as well as minor assault and theft charges are the lion's share), and when in an over-crowding situation, they are either faced with defending themself or taking a beating.. most will defend themselves, and earn a write up or whatever the demerit the prison's system is. Too many and you get moved to a higher security area, and by default, that's where worse offenders go. Most offenders that go INTO prison are far worse off after leaving. You want to keep the most bad people in (ie, rapists, child-molesters, murderers, violent thieves, politically connected HMO, energy & telecom white collar criminals) and the rest.. why not give a sane punishment? Jail time isn't working.... you don't warehouse 10% of the population of the nation and magically fix the crime problem. Restitution, community service and drug rehabillitation for the rest as needed.

Overcrowding fixed... You can now easily pen up the rest of the really bad guys for ever and ever.

There is always the Carlinian option of fencing off rectangular states.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, August 12, 2005 4:43 AM on j-body.org
GAM wrote:- Moral: we as a society are no better for killing someone that killed someone.

Whose morals, not mine. No no no, I dont waste morals on those who have none themselves. They dont deserve my morals, sympathy, or regret. For I wont regret letting them die. Many others feel the same way so it is not society as a whole just a percentage.

GAM wrote:- Religious: it is God's job to kill people, not ours.

If GOD doesnt do it to protect his people someone has to do it for our own safety.

GAM wrote:- Financial: the cost of the actual execution (lethal injection) will be about $45,000, it costs many millions to try, appeal, retry, re-appeal and re-retry. Many States have an automatic appeal/review by independant justices or state courts for Capital crimes.

Of course they still dont deserve he easy death. They should be put out quickly and cheaply whatever the cheapest way is.

They should still only get one more chance. I read somewhere that you can be tried for the same crime twice. Now why cant someone be tried twice yet we allow convicts to try a million times to get off.

GAM wrote:- Jeopardy: those stakes are too high, taking someone's life versus imprisonment... you can't just animate someone that got framed and was executed.

Thats a chance I'm willing to take, many arent though. For every one person that was innocent there will be dozens that arent. As much as it sucks thats how I feel.

Quote:

The problem is that most of the people in prison now, are in for relatively soft offences (marijuana and other soft drugs as well as minor assault and theft charges are the lion's share), and when in an over-crowding situation, they are either faced with defending themself or taking a beating.. most will defend themselves, and earn a write up or whatever the demerit the prison's system is. Too many and you get moved to a higher security area, and by default, that's where worse offenders go. Most offenders that go INTO prison are far worse off after leaving. You want to keep the most bad people in (ie, rapists, child-molesters, murderers, violent thieves, politically connected HMO, energy & telecom white collar criminals) and the rest.. why not give a sane punishment? Jail time isn't working.... you don't warehouse 10% of the population of the nation and magically fix the crime problem. Restitution, community service and drug rehabillitation for the rest as needed.

I agree.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, August 12, 2005 4:44 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I read somewhere that you *cant be tried for the same crime twice.

Friday, August 12, 2005 4:56 AM on j-body.org
I have no problem with it at all. Besides when you murder someone you are no better
then an animal and whats the problem with putting an animal down that kills people?

Friday, August 12, 2005 5:28 AM on j-body.org
- Moral: we as a society are no better for killing someone that killed someone.

This in as opinion, not a fact.

Well according to the lawmakers we cant use the term God or anything anymore in public places.
Plus these people take it into their own hands to kill people.

- Financial: the cost of the actual execution (lethal injection) will be about $45,000,

LIE ALERT

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm

Scroll down

Cost per execution for drugs used : $86.08

Looks like you were off by about $44,914, should have really looked it up. Rather than pull some figure out of your ass and make yourself look like an ass when your proved wrong.

it costs many millions to try, appeal, retry, re-appeal and re-retry. Many States have an automatic appeal/review by independant justices or state courts for Capital crimes.

All states have an automatic review. Not only do death row inmates have appeals, so does ANYONE convicted of a crime. So what get rid of ALL appeals because it cost to much?

Jeopardy: those stakes are too high, taking someone's life versus imprisonment... you can't just animate someone that got framed and was executed.

Life without parole doesnt work, it has been proven before. Killers have been released and they just killed again. Best to just kill them and be sure they wont ever kill again.

Friday, August 12, 2005 5:50 AM on j-body.org
^^^Yes keep in mind you have to pay the executioners and stuff like that. If I had to kill people for a living I would charge out the @$$ for it.

Friday, August 12, 2005 6:05 AM on j-body.org
Rob S wrote:Blacks are only 13% of the US population, they commit 44% of the rapes, and 54% of the murders. Blacks kill eight white people, for every white that kills a black. So if your white your EIGHT time more likely to be killed by a black, than you are to kill a black person yourself.

The DP isnt racist, it is just that blacks commit so much of the crimes.

Another littel bit of info 71% of the US population is white, yet they make up just 44.6% of the total murders.

So you have a small 13% that commit more murders than over 70% of the population.

Geez I wonder why there are so many blacks on death row.
Most homicides are intraracial URL=http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cv03.htm]Education[/URL]
I can manipulate statistics too and make them work in my favor. Since whites are the largest population in the United States, they could are a race of criminals since they, number for number, commit more crimes including homicide than any other race in the US.
If you're gonna use statistics, make sure the sources don't conflict when you're tryign to prove a moot point.

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Friday, August 12, 2005 6:17 AM on j-body.org
Go to the prison in baltimore city and do a quick head count and then get back to me on percentages of violent criminals. In fact hit the prisons in most any big city across the country do the same head count and then let me know what you find. Now seeing that white people are not a minority why then is it that we are in most prisons?
This is the reason there are less white people on death row as well. And then if you look at the minority your all refering to ( black men ) and see they are the majority of the prison population then whouldn't they also be the majority of people on death row as well? How is this racial? If more minorities commit violent crimes in the first place then its noones fault but there own. And why not fry them just as equaily? The electric
chair can not tell what color you started out but it will make everyone that comes out the same color, Charcoal black.

Friday, August 12, 2005 7:26 AM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:^^^Yes keep in mind you have to pay the executioners and stuff like that. If I had to kill people for a living I would charge out the @$$ for it.

No the warden carries out the execution. The other part of the execution team is prison guards.

They get paid the same either way.

Friday, August 12, 2005 8:05 AM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote: Go to the prison in baltimore city and do a quick head count and then get back to me on percentages of violent criminals. In fact hit the prisons in most any big city across the country do the same head count and then let me know what you find. Now seeing that white people are not a minority why then is it that we are in most prisons?
This is the reason there are less white people on death row as well. And then if you look at the minority your all refering to ( black men ) and see they are the majority of the prison population then whouldn't they also be the majority of people on death row as well? How is this racial? If more minorities commit violent crimes in the first place then its noones fault but there own. And why not fry them just as equaily? The electric
chair can not tell what color you started out but it will make everyone that comes out the same color, Charcoal black.
First of all....read the link. Education]Education
Secondly 48% of inmates on death row are white. More Education
Race doesn't matter when i comes to violent crimes. You can only expect a statistic to show Blacks as being more violent because we are only 13% of the population. But if you want to start on race, lets go with a bit of a history lesson then. No other race in history has been more violent than the white race in all of their endeavors. No other race has been more underhanded and crooked than whites. Now that being said...how does it feel to be generalised by statistics? Not fun is it? Crime is crime, and it's based on individuals, not race because if it were only blacks would be in prison.

"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Friday, August 12, 2005 8:06 AM on j-body.org
^^^amendment...only one particular race would be in prisons.

Friday, August 12, 2005 8:24 AM on j-body.org
Quote: "LIE ALERT

Scroll down

Looks like you were off by about $44,914, should have really looked it up. Rather than pull some figure out of your ass and make yourself look like an ass when your proved wrong."

Hmm, that TEXAS page (not national) says that the drug cost is $86.08. There are other costs aren't there? Don't be a dufass. That very same page says that the average stay on death row is 10 years with a daily cost of $61.58. That translates to $224 767.00 ... I know I know, next you'll say that they need to be done faster, then you'll say that there shouldn't be an appeals process.. Ya, wait till someone accuses you of something you didn't do.. Then there's no appeal.. See how you like it.

Like I said before, the vast majority of criminals are not repeat offenders, the vast majority of murders are crime of passion, heat of the moment. The murderer is highly unlikely to re-offend. Yes, there are sick exceptions but you cannot make rules based on the minority, it's not at all just to the rest of the offenders who may fall into the catagory of offenders targeted.

A society that kills it's prisoners cannot then state that killing is wrong. If it's wrong, it's wrong for any reason. The offenders who escaped and klilled again are really really rare, and nobody has escaped from anywhere in a very long time. Technology today make escape near impossible from maximum security prisons. For those who argue that an offender may be release to kill again need to ask, how did they get released?

I have a very good friend that killed two people, he was 15 at the time. He was guilty of murder an in some juristictions would have been executed. Turns out that he is now a national logistics manager and is a loving father and responsible citizen. He just happened to have a serious chemical deficientcy and l;ost his mind for a few weeks. The people he killed are the only ones in the world with that particular relationship to him therefore that set of circumstances can never happen again, he will not re-offend, I garentee it. He is a benefit to society as of now, and will continue to be until at least retirement age. He is a perfect example of why we shouldn't just right off people as "murderers" and kill them. He comitted murder, he is not a murderer though.

See my point? Not likely, you are still blinded by rage and a total lack of understanding. You guys point to the extreme as the example, you can come up with a few killers who deserve to die, but you forget about the more than 3500 people sentenced to death right now awaiting execution. Are they all serial killers? Did they all mutilate a little girl then kill her and her family or other such hanious act? No. The answer is no and you know it. Most of the people on death row are guilty of not having the resource to get a good lawyer. You know if OJ was poor he'd be among them. Maybe if the system was fair I could agree with it, but it most certainly isn't and since humans are involved, it never will be.

PAX
Friday, August 12, 2005 8:53 AM on j-body.org
Whoe! I never brought up race nor wanted to. That was AGuSTiN not me. I said I didn't care what color you were you should fry if you kill someone. This is not about race and it should not have been brought up but as I said I was not the one who did. I didn't even bring up minorites again AGuSTiN did not I. Black, White, Red, Yellow, Green, or Purple. I could care less, if you murder someone you do not desere to live. You guys wanted to play the race card not me don't get made when it back-fires on you thats not my fault.

And don't forget the Oriental people were also ruthless as well. Gengious Kahn, The mongoles, All the emporiors of China.

How about the great Eguiption people? They were not very nice either just ask any jews
or other Africans they used as slaves for thousands of years.

Or how about the blacks in Africa themselves killing off intire villages and inslaving any survivors. They are the ones who would sell us slaves in the first place ! We didn't go hunting them we bought them from other Africans ! Nice huh? sold there own brothers for a buck.

So its not just us "white devils" who were like that. It was the world as a whole.

Now that we have that out of the way can we please get back on topic? Noone here
has provided ANYTHING at all other then there "feelings" as to why we shouldn't exacute someone who murders. Yet the supporters of the dp have not only provided valid examples but have named names and provided cases as reasons for our point.
If all you have is your "feelings" them I'm sorry they get hurt. But this is the real world and if your feelings can't take it here perhaps you shouldn't come out and play in it.

Friday, August 12, 2005 9:00 AM on j-body.org
Sorry but a chemical inbalence is a bs defence he should have gotten the chair. If he had a known mental problem he should have either been on meds or locked away so he wasn't a danger to anyone. And since mental problems are inherited all that means is now there are 2 kids who may grow up to do the same thing. This circle should have been ended with him on the recieving end of 500,000 volts of electrisity. not be allowed to continue to another generation.

Friday, August 12, 2005 9:22 AM on j-body.org
jbody2nr wrote:
Ok so why do these people deserve to live?

Who said they deserved a damn thing? Just tell me why I should support a punishment that conflicts with my morals? My beliefs in God? My religion? I thought the conservatives were hot on the respect of religious views, especially Christian views? That's a whole 'nother issue, but the Republican party is hypocritical on this issue like no other. Reason #212 why I left to be independent. And if you want to argue about that point, start another thread.

jbody2nr wrote:
Whose morals, not mine. No no no, I dont waste morals on those who have none themselves.

Really? So you'd steal from a crook, rape a rapist, have sex with a married woman, lie to a liar? Because while you deal with those with lower morals, you lower your morals? Two wrongs make a right, right?

jbody2nr wrote:
Thats a chance I'm willing to take, many arent though. For every one person that was innocent there will be dozens that arent. As much as it sucks thats how I feel.

This doesn't even make sense.
Agustin's View:
Protect our rights, and rare occassion someone will escape and kill innocent people.
Your View:
Weaken our rights, and on not-so-rare occassion let an innocent be executed on all our behalf.

Huh?

jbody2nr wrote:
Ok, now for the naysayers, I have a question for you. What is a good alternative as a punishment for these people besides the DP or life in prison?

Bring back the hard labor. What the hell was wrong with hard labor? Personally, if *I* was in prison was just given a choice...stay in the jail and wait for my butt rape or pound rocks with guys till they're too tired to butt-rape me, I'd choose pounding rocks. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Plus, I'd actually feel like I'm paying my dues to society.

---

Friday, August 12, 2005 9:45 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN, I can respect you for standing true to your beliefs. That is commendable.
I tho will not change my views on capital punishment. We could go round and round till we die and we still won't agree on this matter. Thats fine I don't think any less of you
for it but I do disagree with you. I've said just about all there is to say on this topic, time for me to move on.

To everyone..... Well debated. Thank you for remaining adults during this.

Friday, August 12, 2005 10:16 AM on j-body.org
AuGuStIn wrote:Who said they deserved a damn thing? Just tell me why I should support a punishment that conflicts with my morals? My beliefs in God? My religion? I thought the conservatives were hot on the respect of religious views, especially Christian views? That's a whole 'nother issue, but the Republican party is hypocritical on this issue like no other. Reason #212 why I left to be independent. And if you want to argue about that point, start another thread.

I'm not sitting here trying to argue your beliefs or try to convert anyone. I was merely stating what I believe and anyone that doesnt like that can stick it up their ass.

Now I respect your opinion and your morals and even your belief in God but, dont wave them around in front of me like it is going to help argue your point.

No one said I was conservative either.

AuGuStIn wrote:Really? So you'd steal from a crook, rape a rapist, have sex with a married woman, lie to a liar? Because while you deal with those with lower morals, you lower your morals? Two wrongs make a right, right?

Now your twisting it way out of proportion. Not of my morals simply vanish because of a dirty animal. My morals still keep me from stealing, killing, kidnapping, raping etc.
I would

A) Lie to a liar
B) Steal from a crook

Quote:

Weaken our rights, and on not-so-rare occassion let an innocent be executed on all our behalf.

Never said anything about weakening our rights. The innocents rights are always there.
But if they are found guilty then they are by law. Yes they should take one for the team and it is a rare occasion that an innocent is found guilty and put to death.

AuGuStIn wrote:Bring back the hard labor. What the hell was wrong with hard labor? Personally, if *I* was in prison was just given a choice...stay in the jail and wait for my butt rape or pound rocks with guys till they're too tired to butt-rape me, I'd choose pounding rocks. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Plus, I'd actually feel like I'm paying my dues to society.

So what happens if they do their time with the hard labor, Do they just go free to kill again?

Friday, August 12, 2005 10:18 AM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote:Sorry but a chemical inbalence is a bs defence he should have gotten the chair. If he had a known mental problem he should have either been on meds or locked away so he wasn't a danger to anyone. And since mental problems are inherited all that means is now there are 2 kids who may grow up to do the same thing. This circle should have been ended with him on the recieving end of 500,000 volts of electrisity. not be allowed to continue to another generation.

Well now you are just talking like an idiot. Of course it wasn't known before the event. He was a normal guy (kid really) who lost it and killed two people. It will never happen again, so there's no reason for him to have "fried" (PS: the electric chair is out now, so nobody "fries" anyway). The people that he killed had been abusing him for years.. See there's always more to the story. On top of that he is now in a job that employs hundreds of people (his employers know his past too) and he is personally responsible for his company saving millions of dollars annually, therefore hundreds of people are employed becdause of him. You would have killed him at a very young age, never knowing his potential. He has only one child, so you are once again putting your own ideas into this, I never once said how many kids he has until now, you just made that up. Can you see how emotion is clouding your thinking yet?

I'm not saying that what my friend did was right, or OK in anyway. What I am saying is that executing him would be just as big of a crime. He still see cousellors and he has some restrictions on his life (he can never own a firearm for example), and I promise he pays for his crime everyday. He is terribly regretfull of what he did and he is constantly reminded of his crime. No, that won't help the two people he killed, but nothing would. It's called making the best of a bad situation.

Did you know that only 8% of those people on death row are repeat offenders? Did you know that about 12% are found not guilty before actually being killed.. That's a huge number. So if you had your way, you'd execute without thought and 12% of your victoms would be completely innocent. Think about it. Also consider that most people are of more value alive than dead.

Yes, he has killed, and yes he is my friend. No he is not dangerous in any way. His worst offence since has been a fight defending himself from people like you.

PAX
Friday, August 12, 2005 10:38 AM on j-body.org
Rob S wrote:- Moral: we as a society are no better for killing someone that killed someone.

This in as opinion, not a fact.

It's moral reasoning. If you want to take the high road, don't trudge along in the ditch.

Quote:

Well according to the lawmakers we cant use the term God or anything anymore in public places.
Plus these people take it into their own hands to kill people.

Again, killing people to say killing people is wrong is the height of hypocrisy

Quote:

- Financial: the cost of the actual execution (lethal injection) will be about $45,000,

LIE ALERT

Scroll down

Looks like you were off by about $44,914, should have really looked it up. Rather than pull some figure out of your ass and make yourself look like an ass when your proved wrong.

Interesting... I didn't lie, you took what I said in the wrong context.

Drugs: ~$160 (its actually $4 worth of potassium from a scientific/medical supply, and $15 of sedative/muscle relaxant) figure~$80 for anti-anxiety pills because dispensaries don't likely use generics (don't figure on the antidote cost, but that's about $350)
Prison admin & Guards: ~$4,000 for extra duty hours (figure 8 guards and 12 standbys and 2 administration).
Police: ~$85.00 per hour per officer (for patrolling and containing protests both for and against the death penalty, figure 12-15 officers and about 8 hours to be conservative... contentious cases, well that's another story))
Attourney fees: ~$100 per hr. assuming there was an 11th hour appeal or clemency application and the lawyer was working as a public defender (figure 5 hours) also, figure about ~$100 per hour of prosecution time, they're required to attend.
Nurse & preparation: ~$70 per hr for the nurse (figure 5 hours), $30 on disposables
Equipment: ~$15,000 for the lethal injection machine and maintenance, $4000 De-fibrillator rental (in case of reversal after start of execution), $650 ECG monitor rental and maintenance
Coroner: ~$250 per hour for post-mortem (figure 3-5 hours per PM)
Body removal: ~$1500 depending on distance and sundries (if the prisoner had communicable diseases, figure $4500 for tyvek suits and disinfection of the van should there be any fluid/solids voiding)

You looked at just the drugs, I was quoting the full cost. $45,000 isn't much, but...

it costs many millions to try, appeal, retry, re-appeal and re-retry. Many States have an automatic appeal/review by independant justices or state courts for Capital crimes.

All states have an automatic review. Not only do death row inmates have appeals, so does ANYONE convicted of a crime. So what get rid of ALL appeals because it cost to much?

Notice I put Appeal FIRST? and don't turn it around on me... keep on side. I said that because there is usually at LEAST 3 chances to re-try a capital case (outside the automatic appeal process) the cost of an appelate court review & retrial is at least 3 million dollars in the poorest state, tack that on to the original 2 million or so, and you already are saving money by housing the prisoner for 35 years + including health care. If you take it to the state Supreme court, figure another 5 million if it's heard ordered retried, and US supreme court appeals aren't cheap either...

Quote:

Jeopardy: those stakes are too high, taking someone's life versus imprisonment... you can't just animate someone that got framed and was executed.

Life without parole doesnt work, it has been proven before. Killers have been released and they just killed again. Best to just kill them and be sure they wont ever kill again.

Whoa...

Life without parole doesn't work? You're putting them away for the rest of their natural life, and they get released on parole?

I think you should re-read and rethink that last bit.

Also, you should also KINDLY look at the issue I presented... You seem to think that every death penalty case is cut and dry, I can tell you, I've sat in on a murder trial, and it's not at the best of times.

Rob, my advice is to actually look up the 4 main methods of execution (Hanging, Gas Chamber, Electrocution, Lethal Injection), and realise that most states HIRE an executioner.

The Lethal injection machine requires 2 simultaneous "Go" button/switch throws.

Electrocution requires 8 guards alone, not including the one that throws the main breaker.

Gas chamber requires at least 15 people, for cleaning of the chamber, pressure testing and seal refurbishing, the 8 requisite guards for prisoner handling, 2 people for the monitoring of the gas mixture as well as the venting of the chamber to ensure the guards aren't marching into a toxic area to remove a body.

This, has been discussed in the thread I linked to earlier.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search