Secret Cam sticky. - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Secret Cam sticky.
Friday, March 10, 2006 4:39 PM
O.K. I have read through this and I have a few questions. Will I need to replace anything other than the gaskets? Like valve springs, or cam gears, and what not.

Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:30 AM
Strickly cams replacing:

Gaskets, engine oil.

High probability:
Tensioner shoe.

Not needed but highly recomended:
Lifters.

How that helps.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, April 14, 2006 9:40 PM
I did this swap last year. Noticed top-end gains for sure. Didn't replace any lifters because none were damaged, and they're not exactly cheap either.

If you have this all apart, do your damn water pump at the same time!!

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:47 AM
^^You do need to replace your exhaust cam lifters.. If you get the HO exhaust cam, you need the HO housing, therefor you will need the HO lifters.

Lil Black Two Four-So your saying you didnt replace your lifters AT ALL?....

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:52 AM
BTW, for the exhaust cam carrier gaskets.. Are the 2.3 and 2.4 gaskets the same?

306 TQ
Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:25 AM
The ones that seal the two halves together are.

I have the HO exhaust tower in mine, and we use a 96-98 2.4L gasket kit to install.

-M

Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:53 AM
^^Thanks Mastin

306 TQ
Saturday, April 22, 2006 2:30 PM
Nice info, but I wanted to point out that there is a mistake. The exh. cam casting number is not 255 455
its actually 225 455
Saturday, April 22, 2006 9:36 PM
I would like to say. replacing the gaskets are not a most either. I have done this swap on 3 motors (actually more), and have not replaced these gaskets, just the cams. no issues from this. The gaskets from GM are very good. I did a rebuild on a LD9 with a 121k, those gaskets were in great shape, could have been reused then, but we did not. If your under 75k I would not replace the gaskets. That is just me.

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:23 PM
if i had a set of cams, is there any way to tell if they are the exact LO cams that i need for the swap? since the casting numbers are the same for a few cams, i guess that wont be that accurate.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:16 AM
Measure the lift

Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:29 AM
im a newb...lol...how?

simple as measuring the length of each section?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:34 PM
you use both of your stock lifter housings and power gain is really noticable from 4500 RPM I just installed them and you can feel the difference up top. factory gaskets and no need to do lifters.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:30 AM
ge_forcez22 wrote:you use both of your stock lifter housings and power gain is really noticable from 4500 RPM I just installed them and you can feel the difference up top. factory gaskets and no need to do lifters.

OK, now im really confused.. You used the stock exhaust housing and lifters?

Now in all of the FAQ and the write ups on the secret cam swap they state that you DO need the exhaust housing and lifters because they are just simply too big for the 2.4 exhaust housing. Now I know you can use the stock 2.4 intake cam housing and lifters yes.

Can someone verify this?

ge_forcez22, I just wanna know how you made this work? Are you sure you got a REAL HO exhaust cam?

306 TQ
Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:53 AM
from what I understand I the W41 has 0.410"lift and requires the older housings (with 35mm lifters) but if you use the HO cam (less lift not sure how much) you are fine with the 33mm lifters (or 96-02 housings)

as far as using pulley power steering, I used the common 2.3 1995 intake shaft, it has a little less lift but it has the hex insert.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:02 AM
ge_forcez22 wrote:from what I understand I the W41 has 0.410"lift and requires the older housings (with 35mm lifters) but if you use the HO cam (less lift not sure how much) you are fine with the 33mm lifters (or 96-02 housings)

as far as using pulley power steering, I used the common 2.3 1995 intake shaft, it has a little less lift but it has the hex insert.

Ahhh I seee now, thanks for the clearing that up.. Thanks John for the help as well..
I just had the W41 cams and the regular secret cams mixed up..
Sweet, that saves me money then lol.

306 TQ
Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:47 AM
Yeah saves some money.

The .375 lift cams (intake and/ir exhaust) fit the 2.4L towers no problem.
That's what I'm running in mine right now.

I replace the lifters just to be safe.

-M

Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:49 AM
^^Yeah I just bought 16 Clevite lifters since I have a new engine for them to go into.

306 TQ
Thursday, April 27, 2006 2:07 PM
Steve (CanadianJ) wrote:im a newb...lol...how?

simple as measuring the length of each section?

If you aren't too far from me in Ontario, I can do it for you, and show you how.
You need some measuring tools.
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:31 PM
Is the Cometic N/A gasket that is 0.010" thinner than stock too small to use with these cams?

dont want valve hitting pistons!
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:58 PM
You can get them in factory thickness.

And its true you cannot use the factory 2.4L tower with the .410 lift cam.
Not unless you bore out the lifters to 35mm.

What ends up happening is, the lobe of the lifter will scrape against the smaller 33mm bore. Not much, but enough to cause problems.

So you need the 35mm bore. Hence why fols say HO cam tower.

-M

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:14 PM
10 thou under is fine, I have it and I love it.. I even have a little taken off my head, and wiseco pistons,

Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:57 PM
a little confused... if I get the secret cam swap for my 97 z, they will fit right in the 97 houseing with no prob.?as fare as the power steering, do i need to do any mod to it for these cams? one more thing an other option is to swap in the 06 2.4 ecotec in to my cav. does any one know anything about this engine yet....please help......

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 5:01 AM
dj pike wrote:a little confused... if I get the secret cam swap for my 97 z, they will fit right in the 97 houseing with no prob.?as fare as the power steering, do i need to do any mod to it for these cams? one more thing an other option is to swap in the 06 2.4 ecotec in to my cav. does any one know anything about this engine yet....please help......

Nope, no need to mod the cams.. Make sure you get the INTAKE came from a 95 2.3L because it has the hex for your 2.4 power steering pump. Thats it..

306 TQ
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 5:03 AM
BTW,,, I have my cams and towers off my spare engine and I did this cam swap.. The Intake cam spins freely by hand, but my exhaust cam really doesnt spin as freely by hand.. Is my camshaft catching on something? Or is this ok, because I know the engine will spin the cam harder than I can by hand lol.

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search