Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Monday, August 15, 2011 8:00 PM
Ok SPIKE J here is the real scoop on the dash.Uh I errored on my call of said part.The 89rs has the OLD style dash where it soley wraps around the cluster.However the other 89 has a dash like your current car,looks like the pic above BUT with the idiot lights only.The 89 rs cluster is covered with the angled clear shield,and warning lights below the cluster,I guess this was a first production 89 with the OLD style dash and your model has the actual real more produced version dash which is flat and has a cover over lay that covers the dash and head unit.SORRY for the almost had a cool dash idea.I had to go back and forth to figure out what the hell the diff was bc there both 1989 models(@#$%&*#)GM duped me OLD dash new body,yet NEW dash same body go figure.Idk my head hurts from trying to figure that stuff out.I will keep looking.You know the irony is the door tag said 89 readable,yet had the old style dash,it was a sedan not a coupe wonder if that is why it is different.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:44 AM
It's ok Ron. I think that gaugepanel is one of the rarest ones, I've never seen one in person. I know they were an option in 1984-85 Cavaliers not 100% sure if they were in any other years, I doubt they where in 88-94 Cavaliers. It'd be nice to have them but I could aways get a set of these when the time comes to get Lil Red back on the road.
Sunbids of the same vintage have a similar gauge panel

later year Sunbirds had 3 gauges in the middle of the two big gauge pods.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:59 PM
Well ok I am going to check into another yard about 30 min from me.I am planning a phone call,first bc this place pulls the parts,but a mechanic I know happens to know the guy who runs it,and said they prolly would let me scope it and remove what I wanted if they have what interested me.No idea right now.That dash stuff is loco,one old style,one new style I was like wt##############.I know my js but this was bananas.Gm changed stuff all the time so go figure.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:42 AM
Quote:

I know my js but this was bananas.Gm changed stuff all the time so go figure.

especially considering how cheap the beancounters were, you'd think they would've stuck with the one dash with either the dummy lights or gauges. In my info gathering the other day I figured out the GM used similar dashes & gauges in Cavalier, Sunbird & Cimarron while the Skyhawk & Firenza shared dashes & gauges. Also came across some guy selling a pair of low mileage mint condition Cimarrons for $15,000 each

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:44 PM
I need to know what he was smoking for that price?I occassionaly see a slightly worn cim for sale but price was wayyyyyyyy lower but ,it's real condition unknown to me.In fact saw one 86 or 87 whatever in a small town in va for sale for wksss and gone this past friday.It looked ok but,scard to see what it was really like.If I put my eyes up close I could prolly have dropped the price bc of my knowledge of the Js(a major plus) and they would get screwed with out knowing it.Ha ha

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:00 PM
15,000 bucks? Holy s**t!

I'm still amazed on how many parts they shared myself...

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:00 AM
1986 Cimarron D'oro
1986 Cimarron
NADA value
I'd be shocked if he get's $10,000 for both of them combined.

Monday, September 05, 2011 1:43 AM
26,200 miles on the D'Oro. 33,000 on the regular one. That one with that oh so "lovely" cranberry interior is what I call a Micro PimpMobile, or MPM for short. Even with those low miles there's no way they're worth $15K! Even the D'Oro package wasn't $14K new, and NADA only gives a %5 bump for it.

Three grand each, tops, due to low miles and excellent condition.

"What is it about pyromania and civil insurrection?" she wondered. "Can't anyone stage a riot without bringing the matches?" Major Serafina Palacios, Imperial Marines
Monday, September 05, 2011 8:00 PM
Plus I doubt there is a line of people waiting to pick them up at that price.Go figure

Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:59 PM
Ok went to my fav u pull again(I can't get enough).Got a pretty solid hood insulation piece off a 87 sedan,has a hole,but over all d!@# good shape,got all the big plastic plugs aside 1 I broke.I have 3 washer squirters on the cardboard in the pic kinda hard to see,and got a solid center dome(for some reason some dope removed the hdliner.But all said made it stupid easy to pull it out plus wiring all the way up to the plastic pillar at the windshield.Sorry no sunbirds yet,and had 1 new 87 sedan pretty much intact,and have a possible lead on some more 1st gen parts still got to call the guy who(might have some stuff).

Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:40 PM
Ok peeps I found a yard 30 minutes from me with a 84,86,89,90 92 and two 93s.I am going def MONDAY! I will look for the stuff you guys asked about,strut bar,possible dash with gauges for the 2.0 or 1.8 idk and YEAH the wiper switch for jmac.Is there any thing else bc I know the 89 is a Z.(first hand info).So if you are searching for anything let me know so if I find I will get.Just a heads up.

Monday, November 07, 2011 7:53 PM
Ok guys here is what I got.Got 2 hdlight switches,one is from the 86 HATCHBACK!!!! the other is from the 89 with the light that eluminates a blue eye in it,two wiper,defrost assemblys out of said two cars,I have one blue seat belt buckle out of a 84,and one black seat belt buckle out of the 89cav.Now the real WOW was the window sweeps IN TACT NO DAMAGE,aside from one little piece missing,from a 89 sunbird.These were easily removed.Hope the pics do it justice.

Monday, November 07, 2011 8:02 PM
Nice find. I am going to have to get parts for my 3rd gen project soon and hope I find some good parts like you.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:52 AM
Hey Ron,

I've been away from the board a bit - I got till Feb 1st to get a new job within my company or accept a layoff package.
Dealing w/ all that goes w/ it. Well, I got about 11 weeks or so.

Awesome new finds- you have a real bloodhound nose for these parts! I am def up for a non-ghost wipe wiper swich! Let me know what you need for it.
What is this 'blue eye' illuminated headlight switch? Does it backlight thru the open edges of the rocker switches like the other one you found in the fall?

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:05 PM
Ok john it is really simple.The 88s maybe have this,but got this from a 89.On the headlight switch the left button for hdlights there is a symbol for lights(now inside that symbol is a blue lens which lights up when the headlights are ON.I traced the wiring literally yesterday to find this pink with black line goes down to 2 more same color wires and t's into a butt connector and goes directly to the #1 fuse on the fuse box.Now the black wire also on the plug in I am assuming ties into probably a ground,which went over to the hvac assembly.I did not trace it to be exact.But I could easily tie the power wire into hdlight switch on the back side,and soley ground it(assuming) and hdlights on it will LIGHT up the little blue light for when YOU have the headlights on NOT just park lights.I had a new 37 bulb or bp2 very small hot wired pos/neg on a battery lite it up!! Ding,ding.You know the funny thing is the older switches actually have the grooves in the light switch for the metal brkt that holds it in place(I guess a design and they just used it to make it hold it at a angle).I might snap a pic with it lite up to show u.Hope this makes sense and def will check the wiper stuff 1st to see if it works right.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:06 AM
John, I just wanted to say I L O V E your 86Z!! Beautiful 1st gen J-Body!! So glad to see one of these still rollin!!

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:12 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:John, I just wanted to say I L O V E your 86Z!! Beautiful 1st gen J-Body!! So glad to see one of these still rollin!!

Thanks Orlen! It was a lucky find and glad after an 18 year absense to be ridin' in 1st gen hatch again!

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:15 PM
Ron Love wrote:def will check the wiper stuff 1st to see if it works right.

Great wire tracing! Cool beans on the wiper switch. Many thanks.
Hey, this thread is 67 posts long. Izzat a record for the 1st gen board? :-)

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:21 PM
Do not know record wise.But with parts being a issue for all of us I really went full throttle this yr to find stuff.I am going to my real local u pull monday to scope any new stuff.I however may have tracked down another yard.It is actually related to the one yard I went to that was super clean.They are a chain pull a part .com and they have a yard about 1.45 from me.They have a 86,two 90s and a bunch of 91-94s.I may try that one thurs next wk if I can work it into my TO DO'S.I just sold my only strut bar to fit my 85 to spike j.I figure with my luck I can find another.I will try and check the wiper switch monday I will have the time to do it.I work sat,sun so busy working.I will try and get things that are hard to get,no longer made.Plus if I take that joy ride I can check my mpg's on my new civic which I have had 7months now with under 2600 miles on it.I do not drive it alot,but needed new wheels.My old reliable trk of 24 yrs since new needs a break.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:11 AM
I need to get out there and do some scouting like you are doing. Hard to tell what is out there I'm missing!!

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:19 PM
Went junkyarding just a spur of the moment feel,and boy I am glad I did,Big pile two solid fenders of the 86z had to remove these to get at the hood brackets for some guy bird person or something,driver and pass SOLID window sweeps(exactly like my cav,finally) hood prop,two wiper arms good shape,and some misc fasteners.Hope the window sweep pics do it justice bc THESE are the best I have ever seen like my molding,came of a 94bird da!! this car was just solid,even the eng looked stupid clean,new alter,and just tight(no idea why it was there.And a radio attenna and those black flaps go behind the fenders block moisture.ENJOY

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:11 PM
Anybody know anybody who needs a headliner for a 4door.I have one thinking it would work in a coupe(wrong).It is solid foamy stuff is intact even the carpet is still stuck tight.The difference btwn the coupe and sedan is the dome light position is different and a touch different design.Came out of a 87 cav.It was cheap and easy not to get out of car,coupe removal turn position angle much better.Bigger doors more room the sedans are a complete@#$$#$%! I love headliners,umm not so much

Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:53 AM
Great Scores Ron!

I was running through the thread and there are some nice pics of my dash and seats with the sunbird wagon...

Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:37 PM
Hey Ron, there was Bruce Pett (buickjunkie) asking about a 4 door headliner not too far back on the thread "85 Pontiac Sunbird wont run"
He was asking about how to get it out and mentioned it needed to be redone. You might drop him a PM. Drove me nuts trying to remember that thread, but I knew someone had a 4 door w/bad headliner. Had to look through all of the 1st page and half the 2nd to finally find it...LOL. Hope maybe you 2 can hook it up! :-)

Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:02 PM
I hope to check a yard two hrs away maybe next wk.Nothing big I want but looking for a strut bar,and have tabs out on some local rollback guys who get Js all the time,no strut bars yet.But he lets me know what he gets to take to the u pull yards to sell.That is about as first hand as it gets.He is a mechanic at my work and does this on the side.Plus some other odds and ends.Door seals are my fav,finding good ones.Plus the alter yard has the possibility of the center console for 2 here looking.My yards have zero with manual trans.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search