99 Grand Am aluminum control arms - Page 5 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 99 Grand Am aluminum control arms
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:51 PM
Single Overhead Fuel Injection (SOHFI) thats all that meant! As for the controls arms or A-arms what ever they are called. I might just try them on for size. its kinda nice having a father own a salvage yard to go to when needing parts : )'
The wierdest thing is 18 years around the bizness and i still dont know much about cars! I geuss ive just been around it to long and did not care. Other things on my mind. (Grew up to be an Aviation mechanic)...lol thanks for info!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:54 AM
Single Overhead Cam with Fuel Injection = SOHC-FI aka the 2200

Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:07 AM
umm... 2200 has no cam(s)...

On topic now, I am interested to see what goes with these control arms. I have an extra set of bushings at my place, so new time I'm at the junkyard, I'll be keeping my eye's peeled.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:26 AM
^^^ LOL all the above posts are wrong.

the 2200 DOES have a CAM but it's not overhead. It's pushrod based, so the cam is in the block. Lol....

The 2200 has NEVER been SOHC. It's ALWAYS been pushrod based. The correct abbreviation is "OHV" not "OHC". OHV is "over head valve", IE the valves are above the cylnder instead of beside it (like REALLY old engines etc), but the CAM is in the block.

The only SOHC jbody engine ever used was the 1.8 and 2.0 OHC motors found mostly in sunbirds, like mine. The 2.8/3.1/3100 is pushrod OHV as is the 2.0/2.2/2200 cavalier OHV motors. The 2.3/2.4 Twin Cam/ Quad 4 is DOHC, as is the 2.2 Ecotec.

Geez people, lol.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:06 AM
Protonus wrote:^^^ LOL all the above posts are wrong.

the 2200 DOES have a CAM but it's not overhead. It's pushrod based, so the cam is in the block. Lol....

The 2200 has NEVER been SOHC. It's ALWAYS been pushrod based. The correct abbreviation is "OHV" not "OHC". OHV is "over head valve", IE the valves are above the cylnder instead of beside it (like REALLY old engines etc), but the CAM is in the block.

The only SOHC jbody engine ever used was the 1.8 and 2.0 OHC motors found mostly in sunbirds, like mine. The 2.8/3.1/3100 is pushrod OHV as is the 2.0/2.2/2200 cavalier OHV motors. The 2.3/2.4 Twin Cam/ Quad 4 is DOHC, as is the 2.2 Ecotec.

Geez people, lol.
aaaaaaaactually, GM did make a SOHC 2.3 litre. looked just like the normal 2.3 cept missing a cam.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:28 AM
^^ Yes they DID make one, but it was never in a j-body

They also make DOHC versions of the 2.0 OHC that's in the sunbirds, but it ALSO was never in a jbody...

Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:58 PM
Protonus wrote:^^ Yes they DID make one, but it was never in a j-body

They also make DOHC versions of the 2.0 OHC that's in the sunbirds, but it ALSO was never in a jbody...
and that's a good thing cause it sucked!!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:11 PM
Protonus wrote:^^^ LOL all the above posts are wrong.

Doh... I knew that... I just finished tearing one down completely a few weeks ago. My mind was in my head.

Friday, July 28, 2006 6:20 AM
Got my arms monday, going to weld them this coming monday. Then I leave for job training and wont have time to mess with it for like 6mo.
Friday, July 28, 2006 11:49 AM
weld them??

Friday, July 28, 2006 1:52 PM
^Oops, should have known all that too. Work's been long lately....

On the welding, weld in the holes, then drill new ones 1/2" back so it's the right geometry.

Friday, July 28, 2006 10:06 PM
Ya, basically I'm going to put the J CA ontop of the alum. and center punch the holes to be a little more accurate.
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 12:18 PM
I have a set of these control arms for sale if anyone is interested.

I bought them for my beretta as I think its a direct swap (no redrilling), but I dont think im going to use them. We'll see what happens tho.

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:07 PM
Is the N body IRS a direct bolt on or what for a JBO
Saturday, August 05, 2006 7:37 AM
Jack Blackburn Jr wrote:Is the N body IRS a direct bolt on or what for a JBO

yo jack learn to read. YES IT IS A DIRECT SWAP.

Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:08 AM
We're talking about FRONT suspension in this thread. There are already 10+ threads about the N-Body IRS. Go read.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:31 PM
purplezed wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:Yes, your right....but both wrong....I believe we both ment chamber, not chamfer or chamber.
i believe CTS was referring to your use of the word chamber. the word for the suspension is CAMBER. either way being .5" wider a side should not cause any problem as long as the fenders are rolled abd you don't drop it too low. i run SPrints and Koni's and i had to roll my front fenders to accomodate my 18's. .5" wider would cause me problems.

I think that .5" will be a issue with J CV's. I would not attempt that at all. Either swap to N-body axles, or move the ball joint in if possible.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:53 PM
I agree with purplezed, I don't think .5" will be an issue for the CVs, but will for anyone with larger tires. Doing an N front swap would eliminate the problem though cause the N CVs are longer than J CVs.

Monday, September 11, 2006 5:41 AM
Would switching to N-body 2.4l axles solve anything, is the overall distance between tires the same on both cars? I would think the tracking is wider thus making the axles longer and then not solving anything. O Well...I've shortened CVs before, the J's aren't any different. Cut, fishmouth, 0.002" press fit with solid 1020 steel bar, then tig weld and your done.
Friday, September 15, 2006 3:05 PM
Listening carefully.
Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 7:50 PM
I dont know why I asked is the tracking is the same.....totally stupid question. N-Body IRS wouldn't be possible if it wasn't close.....I think I heard 1" wider all together. But I'd imagine thats what sticking the N-body burfields onto the J axles would do anyway. Hmmm...... O well.......wait and see.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:08 PM
So somehow I missed this thread the first real time around, and just stumbled upon it...

Has anyone put these into their J-Body yet? I'm in the middle of collecting my parts for the NFW brake upgrade, and if this works, I'll add them to my parts list. If they just need to be machined, I know someone who will do it for me.

Saturday, October 07, 2006 7:43 PM
Well I went to the junkyard myself, pulled me a couple of the factory J-body control arms so that I can get ready to do the control arm bushings, weld the seams, install some new ball joints, and reinstall on the car.

I came across a '99 Alero with the complete subframe off of the car and went to checking the Aleros control arms in relation to the ones I just pulled.
They're a perfect fit with the exception of the slight added length of the ball joint.

Everything else is perfect to a tee with no other modification than getting the new ball joints at the right spot like the factory ball joints.

My question is and plan on pursuing this in the next few weeks is why not just take the Alero/ Grand Am (both '99 models) control arms and just slot the existing holes where the ball joints go to fit the J-body ball joints??

It seems feasible and is something that pretty much anyone can do with a file, dremmel too, or whatever can slot the holes.
With the little difference in the length, would have to do no more than this to have a perfect fit.

Is this too simple or am I just dreaming this to be real?
Either way, am going for it because if it doesn't work, will still have the other control arms to do and will have what I want either way.

Just thought I'd post this and bring it back from the dead.

I'll post my findings when they're done.

Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:07 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:So somehow I missed this thread the first real time around, and just stumbled upon it...

Has anyone put these into their J-Body yet? I'm in the middle of collecting my parts for the NFW brake upgrade, and if this works, I'll add them to my parts list. If they just need to be machined, I know someone who will do it for me.

X2, has anyone actually done this? I have a friend of mine that can to the weld and re drill, I just don't have the arms yet. (only because I just read this now!) I like what I've read so far.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 12:42 AM
hey wicked1 ask your friend how much it would take to weld and redrill beucase for the life of me I annot find someone willing to do this for me, and I really really want new control arms!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search