some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 40 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V6 swap
Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:06 AM
SHOoff wrote:I fully intend on using a stock gauge cluster and FORCING it to read RPM correctly. I'm going to make the natural assumption that if it's just hooked up its going to be off by 33%.

Seriously, you may want to give the DD converter a try. Hook it between the ICM and your stock computer. (you're still running that IIRC?)

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:07 PM
Blah..... i'm in for some more fun. Plus it'll help others to find a cheaper way to do this in the future if they're so inclined to do the swap. I know it's a thing that's done with the 2nd gen clusters. It involves changing a resistor on the board for the cluster... It's just, which one to change, and which one to change it to.

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:25 AM
Are the 2nd gen gauge motors the same, or are they more of a traditional type? (ours have a sine and cosine function to the motor with 4 conductors).

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:20 AM
looking for some of your guys thoughts here, the other day my car sat on 1/8 tank over night, went and filled up with gas at sunoco that night the car had the odd spit/sputter, now since then its gotten worse now the cars idling like @!#$(the odd time it will actually idle decent), running like @!#$, and dont go very far. when i drive it it starts missing/sputtering and backfired once around 3000 rpm. come to a stop or let of the gas and the car stalls. where do i start looking for problems? ive put some gas treatment in the tank in case of bad gas(not sure if it could be bad gas or not) i use injector cleaner usually once a month

any thoughts on this?

My 3400 Swap Page
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:21 AM
Possibly ignition related. My brothers oldschool 3.1 does that when it gets warm (thinking bad ICM) but it did give out on him once when the CPS took a dump in the middle of BFE

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:23 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Are the 2nd gen gauge motors the same, or are they more of a traditional type? (ours have a sine and cosine function to the motor with 4 conductors).

Forgot to add in the last post. I believe the PH2 gauges are very similar to the 3rd gen cluster (95-99 anyways), if not exactly the same with a different shape. One way or the other, there's got to be some sort of motor that turns that needle. There's gotta be some way to slow it down, or speed it up if you are so inclined.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:26 AM
others have been telling me crank sensor aswell. or coil/ coil module. ill have to check into things.... the only part of your post i didnt get is. what is BFE? somtimes i hate shortforms lol

My 3400 Swap Page
Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:03 PM
LOL Butt F'ing Egypt. Not a reference to any car part what so ever lol. Video of my swap hopefully tommorrow!

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/viper15230/100_1374.jpg?t=1193109920[IMG]
Friday, November 02, 2007 5:13 AM
RSF98 wrote:others have been telling me crank sensor aswell. or coil/ coil module. ill have to check into things.... the only part of your post i didnt get is. what is BFE? somtimes i hate shortforms lol

BFE was mentioned in the above reply.

It's possible that the ICM is bad too. Like I said, i'm pretty sure my brothers car has a bad ICM, and it sputters real bad and stalls when you let go of the gas. Except when the engine is dead cold. It only does it when the engine warms up. Either way i'm leaning toward that area rather than it being a computer issue (though a scan tool is going to probably come in really handy for you). The ICM will run the ignition totally on it's own, doesn't even need the computer there. The computer will send an override signal once the engine gets over 3-400rpm and take over. Or it's an odd chance that both the sensor and the module have gone bad.

CAREFUL taking the CPS out though if you do. They're very easy to break off. And IIRC, your oil pan has recently been off. If you were to break that sensor off, you'll have to take the pan off again. to get it out. But if you can get it to come right out it should be an easy fix. Hopefully if you change it, the PCM won't whine at you about wanting a CASE learn to be done on it.

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:12 AM
Buddy, if it is the crank sensor, remember, its the one on the back of the block, the one behind the crank i already replaced, plus it wouldnt cause a no start condition.

Friday, November 02, 2007 2:37 PM
Just to throw some thought in here. On my 3100 harness, i took the white wire which goes to the tach and tried to hook it up to the j harness. I tried splicing into all the j wired which goes to the icm and the tach did not budge. I also tryed hooking it up to an aftermarket tach with also didn't work. So either that white wire is not sending a signal or the tach i had doesen't work. I'd still love to get the stock tach to work so my whole cluster will work like it should and get the total stock look.

660 powered sunfire

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:40 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Buddy, if it is the crank sensor, remember, its the one on the back of the block, the one behind the crank i already replaced, plus it wouldnt cause a no start condition.

A CPS can cause a no start condition. But, if it's recently been replaced I would guess that it's good. And Darren seems to know his @!#$, so even though I've only met him once, I'd probably trust him to work on my car. Since it's been replaced I would take the ICM and see if any of the parts stores around you can test it.

Quote:

Just to throw some thought in here. On my 3100 harness, i took the white wire which goes to the tach and tried to hook it up to the j harness. I tried splicing into all the j wired which goes to the icm and the tach did not budge.

I dont think the wire colors are the same on the Jbody and the 660 harnesses. So the white wire might not be the tach wire.

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:49 PM
well its been an inconsistant problem, today i changed the fuel filter and so far its been running fine, hopfully it stays running fine and the sputter stays away, if not ill check the coil packs/ module, coil packs are the same as the 2.2's aswell, and i have a spare icm now so if it comes down to it ill start swaping stuff in, but im hoping that the dirty/origional looking filter that was on there was the problem

My 3400 Swap Page
Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:55 PM
SHOoff wrote:

I dont think the wire colors are the same on the Jbody and the 660 harnesses. So the white wire might not be the tach wire.

I know the colors are diffent, on the 3100 the white wire goes to the tach according to the schematic. I couldn't find a wire on the j shcematic which goes to the tach. All i found was a data link wire which goes to the instrument cluster from the ECM. Maybe i'll try to find a 2nd gen cluster and try to retro fit some parts from it in my cluster.

660 powered sunfire
Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:40 PM
There shouldn't be a tach signal wire going to the C100 connector to the engine. (i know i've seen a tach signal wire on the 2.4 diagrams). The engine speed comes through the datastream from the PCM to the cluster just like some of the warning lights and the coolant temp. So it's likely that the 3100 PCM doesn't have the info in the correct spots for the tach signal and that's why it isn't reading.

Monday, November 05, 2007 6:15 PM
were almost at 1000 posts!
Monday, November 05, 2007 6:30 PM
Thats because this thread is the bee's knees.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/viper15230/100_1374.jpg?t=1193109920[IMG]
Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:51 AM
Freak04 wrote:were almost at 1000 posts!

Correction. That is now

1 POST
and 992 Replies

Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:56 AM
I'm REALLY interested in seeing how this all turns out. I'm planning on running custom gauges myself, but it would be nice to see someone do it with stock ones intact.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:35 PM
ANYMORE PIC UPDATES????

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:33 PM
Nitrous Nate wrote:ANYMORE PIC UPDATES????

Still a 3100 sunfire.

660 powered sunfire

Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:49 PM
Since you asked so nicely
It has since been buttoned up but I have not got a chance to take more pictures, Ill try tomorrow!
Runs great, Im running megasquirt, best way to go IMHO!

Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:45 PM
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE... I think i just tinkled...

Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:56 PM
Wait until it actually starts coming together if you go through with it. You will be very happy

On a side note, I really need someone to take a picture under the dash of there clutch pedal my spring came out and I cant figure out for the life of my how to get it back in there! It would be greatly appreciated and possibly rewarded

Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:26 PM
Hey could you take some pics of your wiring if you dont mind just give me somewhere to start!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search