some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 44 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V6 swap
Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:23 AM
I welded a second frame mount on top of the original with spacer- added 1 inch
took off an inch off the tank overflow mount to keep it in the same spot
i will look for my pics and post them

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:35 AM

Saturday, December 22, 2007 1:02 PM
I actaully saw those pics yesterday, but I'm trying to do as little welding as possible, as I cannot weld myself. My lower dogbone mount will be made by a shop, and I'm going to have to get someone to come in and weld in a new mount for my Getrag Tranny.
Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:06 PM
The mount I used required very little welding. It is the mount off a 99+ Grand Am, or Malibu works too. Just grind the old mount out, drill two holes get a piece of flat stock and weld some bolts to the underside and slide it into the frame rail and put the bolts through the holes drilled in the frame rail. There is pictures in the sticky.
Monday, December 24, 2007 11:00 PM
I kjnow about the pics in teh sticky, actually I'm trying to steer clear f as much welding as possible. There will be someone come in and weld a tranny mount in for me, and I'm having the lower dogbone custom made. Sorry about the spelling because it's christmas eve and I'm a little intoxicated....
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:58 AM
The plate Z24 Speed is talking about requires very little welding. It may be possible to do it without any welding if you look at it.

Merry Christmas all.

Drink lots of egg nog and liquor.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:48 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:The plate Z24 Speed is talking about requires very little welding. It may be possible to do it without any welding if you look at it.

Merry Christmas all.

Drink lots of egg nog and liquor.

True story, all I welded was the nuts to the flat stock to keep them from falling out, but if you know some tricks you can get them in there with no welding, just be careful they dont fall into the frame rail if you ever have to take them out.

Cheers and merrry christmas all,

Pictures of the new gauge cluster to come when I get it done
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:00 AM

SHOoff wrote:...This isnt 100% a How-To.

I'm working on one that will basicly encompass all of the different mixes we've discussed. Obviously there are a few things that still need to be tried, but I've collected so much data that I think I can organize it to address each type of swap. With any luck, I'll have it up by next month.

This was posted in March 07, I was just wondering how this How-to was coming along? I'd love to read through what's done so far...
Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:30 AM
joe malechowski wrote:I cut that firewall plug out, stripped it down and used it over under the dash. It made an excellent body to engine disconnect.
I couldnt find a diagram either, plus there wasnt much left in it when I was done.

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Sending painless Wiring Inc. A 1994 (3.1 5 Speed) Harness and ECM and the 2.2 Harness and ECM, and having them make me a harness thats plug and play. Not sure if this is possible or not, but I'm going to email them and find out...
Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:03 PM
Michael Antle wrote:
SHOoff wrote:...This isnt 100% a How-To.

I'm working on one that will basicly encompass all of the different mixes we've discussed. Obviously there are a few things that still need to be tried, but I've collected so much data that I think I can organize it to address each type of swap. With any luck, I'll have it up by next month.

This was posted in March 07, I was just wondering how this How-to was coming along? I'd love to read through what's done so far...

That was, of course, posted by me.

Notice the sticky at the top of the 3rd Gen forum? It's not exactly a how-to, but it's a collection of all the components to consider, the options, and plenty of pictures. The problem with doing a flat-out how-to for this swap is that there are so many options, it would take a how-to for every combination of car, engine, year, ECM options, etc. I noted in the sticky that any new or missing information can be added, but that thread is for pure information, not discussions, questions, etc. That's what this thread is for. If people ask questions, and we figure out the answers, they can be posted in the sticky.

I think the way I laid out that sticky makes sense, as it merely discusses the options and pros/cons of each, so that people can be informed in making their decisions on parts.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:40 PM
It does it's job, and it's a great post. I just had the impression you were doing a detailed how-to on several different ways about the swap...

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:25 PM
ive already contacted painless, they told me NO,
Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:19 PM
Thanks James, I just finished writing down the contact info from their website. Thanks alot.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:52 AM
maybe someone might have some insight to this issue...

cooling fan. I've gone around and around trying to get it going w/out installing additional parts.

I have the low side hooked up to the 2.2 relay box (high side is not connected). Used HPT to drop the fan turn on temp to 185 (both high and low just in case I got the wires crossed). Gets up to 205, no luck. CTS is hooked up as I can datalog that sensor. Run-on when key off works fine.

2 questions: 1) should I hook up the high side to the same wire (using diodes to prevent feedback to the either wire), basically making it a 2-1 setup, or 2) set the high fan to turn on at 256, off at 255 (thinking that there is a conflict)?

I would imagine that the PCM would not allow the fan to not engage if one or the other was not hooked up (example: bad relay)....

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:40 AM
Funny. I've been having the same problem. I can't get the ECM to turn the fan on. I can only get it going by grounding out the wire to the relay (the one that's supposed to go to the ECM). I need to pick up a scan tool. For all I know, the ECM isn't seeing the signal from the CTS. I have a 3 wire, when the ECM only wants a 2 wire, but It shouldn't make a difference if I have 2 wires hooked up right. It should just give me the second signal for a gauge or if I needed to piggy back a computer.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:19 PM
hmm. I'll have to dig around and see if I have some diodes and test it. Worst case is that it doesn't work.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:30 PM
It should be able to function properly. I'm sure it's something minor that you just haven't found yet.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:23 PM
Kardain
do you have the proper ground for your relay at the pcm?? power comes from fuse to relay to pcm

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:39 PM
I only show the outputs to the relay. No return grounds to the PCM.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:02 PM
Does HPT show you when the computer is commanding the fan on? On my MS it will tell me when it's activated (in my case it lights up OUTPUT 1 because it doesn't know it's a cooling fan but that's no big deal). If i'm not mistaken, the PCM uses a switched ground. (it shorts the output to ground to activate the relay).

To check on it, do like I did, for safety sake. Set the fan turn-on really low. 100 degrees or something. Once the coolant is up to that temp it should activate the fan. At that point you can check the wire coming from the PCM for voltage. If it's not reading hot, then you know it's a ground. I'm not sure where you have it hooked up on the relay. But, i'm guessing why it's not a return ground to the PCM.

Once you get everything set up that way and working, go ahead and turn your fan-on temps to normal and I would definately set the 2nd cooling fan as high as you can get it so it won't be trying to turn that on too.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:11 PM
SHOoff wrote:...If i'm not mistaken, the PCM uses a switched ground. (it shorts the output to ground to activate the relay)...

That's exactly how it works. You can take the wire that goes from the fan relay to the ECM and ground it, and the fan should come on. If it doesn't work, then you have another problem, maybe the relay itself, maybe a wiring problem.

Friday, January 04, 2008 8:00 PM
I think one problem I had with mine was that 2 of the power wires on the relay were in the wrong spot. So if the relay would flip, it just wouldn't be throwing power at the wire that needed it. Though, I don't the relay will close like that.

I dunno, it was confusing at first because I was looking at the diagram on the side of the relay. Then found out that the pins are in different spots if you look at the bottom of it.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 12:25 PM
HPT doesn't show when the fan is commanded on.... in either case, I purchased a SPAL FAN-PWM digital fan controller a few months ago as a just in case thing (8 wires and programmable, able to control 2 fans). I'm just going to piggy back that in and call it a day, then set the PCM fan controls to 256 on, 255 off.

Now if it will just stop being so darn windy for a little bit cause she goes to the dyno next weekend......

Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:15 PM
Kardain, I can't remember, but did you use your J-body relay/fuse center, or the one that came from the donor car?

Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:20 PM
J-body one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search