some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 48 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:02 PM
I had an oil psi on my old sunfire, and I didn't like it. I had to run a hose right to the gauge and also disable the dash light. I'm going to use an oil filter sandwich with a pressure sensor and fittings for a cooler on there.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:09 PM
there's a cap plug just to the left of the filter that you can remove for an oil psi sensor.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:49 PM
Really. I just read on V6Z24.com that It's very simple to install a low Oil light as well. Something nice to have in teh dash...
Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:07 PM
for that, there is a 2 pin plug on the bottom of the oil pan.

pin a to ground (blk/wht)
pin b from Pin C2-58 on the PCM (brown)

Data transmitted to the cluster over the class 2 serial wire, circuit open when oil low, tripping the light

for the oil light, I'd say switched power to pin B, route pin A to the ground on your light.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:30 PM
I already have the low oil light. that was already in the harness from the grand am, and works throiugh the cluster I believe. Now you have me thinking. Ill have to go check.

Yeah the curley plastic hose is crap.
I have a digital oil gauge, no hose to run just wire.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:05 PM
I have access to a 34000 from a 97 chev venture. is this a good engine? Will it be any easier or harder to use this engine compared to any other 3400??
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:09 PM
One too many zeros there.

IIRC, everything is the same on those ones. The newer 3400's from like the Equinox and Torrent have a taller UIM and a TB on the passenger side, but the Ventures are the same as the cars.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:36 PM
OK thank quick.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:22 PM
looks like more than just UIM and TB is different on the torrent and equinox, oil fil is taller. power steering pump? exhaust manifolds have the o2 at the front!? correct me if im wrong, but thats the way it looks to me. if that setup would work on the normal 3400's then that would be a good route for ppl looking to turbo i would think,

My 3400 Swap Page
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:43 AM
I haven't looked at the exhaust, but now I'm going to have to check it out. If they have a crossover pipe, I may try to score a front manifold instead of putting a bung on my existing one.

As far as being a good setup for turbo, if you're talking about the TB being on the passenger side, I think the manifold is too tall for our hood, but I'm not 100% there. You could always try putting an F-body 3.4 PS pump on (would mount on the lower rear) and turn the UIM around (yes, it can be turned around...I have seen F-body guys use the 3400's in RWD apps. Threw me the first time I saw it!)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:22 AM
Well, shouldn't that make it alot easier to run a blower? I know you can run the camaro 3400 intake manifolds, and they look nice.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:29 AM
Michael Antle wrote:Well, shouldn't that make it alot easier to run a blower? I know you can run the camaro 3400 intake manifolds, and they look nice.

You can't swap the Camaro manifold. The heads are different. You would need to swap the iron heads, which would all be a downgrade. There is a reason the Camaro/Firebird guys with the 3.1 and 3.4 have swapped to the 3400 engine.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:49 AM
+1

What you want is to use the 3.4 Camaro pistons in the 3400 to get a high compression ratio. A 3400 is a 3400, don't matter where it's from. From a Venture is just as good as from anywhere else.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:39 PM
I was looking at an Equinox/Torrent 3400, and it looks like you can easily swap the regular UIM on it as well as the PS pump if you want. I'd kind of like to check out the UIM off those. It looks to have a larger plenum. I'm wondering how high that TB actually sticks up, and if you can reverse it to intake from the drivers side. It almost looks like a 3500 UIM with a neck on top for the TB instead of coming out the end.

Also, as far as I can see, there is no O2 sensor in the front. It looks like just one in the back like all the other 3100s and 3400s.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:00 PM

I did another 3400 intake job today, I opened the felpro box and out comes a new redesigned lower intake gasket. The gasket is now steel instead of plastic. and still has the rubber seals made into it. I dont know if felpro has a problem with the plastic gaskets that they were selling or not. All that I know it I changed a whole bunch of them and I hope that they dont come back.

Since The 02 3400 came in a couple of weeks ago with the rocker arm bolt popped out of the head , I figured that I would look up the rocker arm torque specs for this 00 that im doing.
Much to my suprise , they have a 2 step sequence, first at 125 inch lb and then an additional 30 degrees. I had to overtighten all of the ones before.not good.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:16 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:
Also, as far as I can see, there is no O2 sensor in the front. It looks like just one in the back like all the other 3100s and 3400s.

sorry, i meant the egr tube. runs to the front instead of rear.

My 3400 Swap Page
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:03 AM
joe malechowski wrote:I did another 3400 intake job today, I opened the felpro box and out comes a new redesigned lower intake gasket. The gasket is now steel instead of plastic. and still has the rubber seals made into it. I dont know if felpro has a problem with the plastic gaskets that they were selling or not. All that I know it I changed a whole bunch of them and I hope that they dont come back.

Since The 02 3400 came in a couple of weeks ago with the rocker arm bolt popped out of the head , I figured that I would look up the rocker arm torque specs for this 00 that im doing.
Much to my suprise , they have a 2 step sequence, first at 125 inch lb and then an additional 30 degrees. I had to overtighten all of the ones before.not good.

Have you seen the intake gaskets on the non-vvt 3500? I saw some talk on 60degreev6.com about modifying to use that gasket. You have to tap a few holes into the 3400 block though.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:17 PM
No I havent had one of those apart yet.
The new 3400 gasket looks impressive though, If I didnt already change mine, I would get one of the new ones to use.

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:28 AM
Woot!

I just got ahold of myself a set of 3500 heads and intakes. Now I shall wait for them to arrive at my door.

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:59 AM
SHOoff wrote:Woot!

I just got ahold of myself a set of 3500 heads and intakes. Now I shall wait for them to arrive at my door.

Jealous.

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:27 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Jealous.

x99billion

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:37 PM
Guys , Wanting to go 97 2.2 4 spd auto on a 3400. I probably sholdnt have to ask that question but I havent seen many older 4 spd autos around here. Just thought Id ask to verify.
Thanks.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:52 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Jealous.

Well, you probably won't be when I make a post about a busted tranny.

Quote:

Guys , Wanting to go 97 2.2 4 spd auto on a 3400. I probably sholdnt have to ask that question but I havent seen many older 4 spd autos around here. Just thought Id ask to verify.

Joe, i'm not sure I understand the question you're asking here.

A note, I know you went with the 4t45 just to make sure it works correctly. But my guess is that all the trannies operate the same as far as shifting. So the way the 4t45 activates 2nd gear I think should be the same way as on the 4t40, or the 4t65 and such.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:19 PM
Here.... dunno if you guys are interested, but I found this on Ebay. I was thinking about whoring it for myself, but I'll share.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-2-8-3-1-3100-3400-V6-underdrive-pulley_W0QQitemZ180211019984QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180211019984

I'm watching it, so if the price stays low enough, I might just snatch this up too.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:27 PM
I think I have heard bad things about those on 60degreeV6.
Whats your guys take on the situation?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search