some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 51 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:52 AM
Something for you guys to think about. For all the time and money you guys are spending doing the swap, I would REALLY consider swapping all the wiring in the car to 2000+. If its a 5 speed, you can use the 2000 Impala wiring and pcm and ALL THE GAUGES function properly, hell, the whole cluster works properly. No idiot lights will be on, the tach and fuel gauge will work, everything.
I just did the swap into a 2002 Cav and was very happy to find this out. Im currently doing the swap into a 97 and I converted the whole car to 2000+.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:45 PM
Since it comes up now and then, the setup I have is the Dakota Digital VF3D-ORIG6. It's $995 plus shipping, and it's a three month wait. You send them a cluster, and they build their units into it. It has a separate computer box (about the size of an ECM) where all the sensors wire to, and then a ribbon cable that goes to the cluster.

It's a great setup, but it wires to the car no different than individual gauges, except that you wire them to the external box.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:45 PM
gtpsunfire, did you get an airbag light yet? how long since the swap?

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:07 PM
how come the pinouts that were posted says that certain numbers arnt used but i have wires going to them
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:11 PM
care to elaborate a bit further?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:05 PM
say u have a pink that goes to number 53 on the blue connector but the pin outs say that it is not used,
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:28 PM
ECM plugs? james the ecm wiring is vehicle specific in conjunction with the pcm and its flash. not every car will have the same pin outs. Thats why its important to get the correct ecm, wiring and diagram while swapping. If I recall from one of your other posts, that you are using an 03 engine, are you using an 03 diagram and are having this wire color issue still?

Let me know what you are using, donor stuff, and ill try to help. I have access to an online database that I can reference to. I can help you with individual problems but I cannot furnish you with complete diagrams.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:56 PM
that previous question was about the cavs harness
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:59 PM
Quote:

the ecm wiring is vehicle specific in conjunction with the pcm and its flash. not every car will have the same pin outs.

Same deal with the cav harness.

What year Cav and what year 3400 ECM are you using?

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:17 PM
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:18 PM
98 auto, 04' alero harness

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:19 PM
i wont be using the cav ecu at all,
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:24 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:29 PM
jameson, on your car domain "what is it" page, the first connector is the antilock brake module plug, (should be on the alero harness used on 00+) the second one is the auto tranny plug for the alero, third may be an emissions air pump plug or cruise plug, depends on wire size, emissions will have 2 fairly large wires, #10 at least. the next 2 look like the coolant level sensor. The next one is the large brick looking grey one, thats on the alero harness, it originally plugged into the bottom of the underhood fuse box, you will need to transfer those wires accordingly.
If your exhaust manifolds have small tubes coming off of them your going to have quite a few extra wires and you may have to flash the ecm to a non emissions vin. Alero's seemed to have the emissions more around here than any others. If you dont have little steel tubes on the manifolds , dont worry about it. If the engine and harness arent from the same car look at that third plug on your domain page for large wires. I think the air pump on those were mounted on the front of the sub frame. The ABS unit was also on the front of the sub frame.
dont know about the tranny plugs, assuming one is a reverse light switch and another a speedo sensor, dont know havent messed with many .

Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:05 PM
so i can do away wit that abs plug, and tranny plug, wat did u say the sixth pic was? the fuse box?
Monday, January 26, 2009 6:05 AM
dont need the abs plug, just dont cut out your cav abs stuff. Get rid of the auto tranny plug if your running a stick.

Yeah, sixth, in order from top to bottom. grey brick with a bolt in the middle, that plugged directly in to the bottom of the alero fuse box. There are 3 like that one that go into the box, one goes to the headlights/ cruise and the other goes on to the interior. This box doesnt contain all fuses for the alero, there are 2 additonal fuse panels on both sides of the dash that are fed from the under hood box.
Your going to want to track down each wire going into that plug and move it where it needs to go on the J. On mine I used the alero / grand am fuse box cause i had it and all 3 plugs. Seemed to be easier but I have this massive box with half the stuff not used.

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:58 PM
pinouts for the plugs that go to fuse boxes would be handy at this point, got the bay painted so i can start puttn it together, i got some more pics posted on page 6 now
Monday, January 26, 2009 9:33 PM
added to above link... the only plug that goes to the fuse panel is the big light grey rectangular one... I don't have the J-body stuff since there isn't a single plug that goes to the underhood, but a bunch of 'em

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:58 PM
here is some info on the pinouts, this should get you running.
04 alero gl 3400
plug c1

All are listed as engine performance, I did not look under other diagrams.
pink D8 Pcm ign 10a hot in run or start
pink C8 (uses same fuse as D8)

Purple f3 and ppl c3 are for the cruise, its a jumper

Orange E6 Pcm Batt 10a Hot all times

Pink D5 Ignition module 10a hot in run or start

Pink A7 Fuel pump/ injector fuse 15a hot in run or start

Black B5 Fuel p relay ground ( fp relay is mounted in this box and this is the relay coil ground)

Dk green/ white E8 Fp relay enable , this enables teh fuel pump, it comes from pin 3 of c2 on the pcm)

Pink (2 wires) A4 auto trans fuse 10a (you wont need this one )

purple B11 crank 10a hot in start (to pin 23 of pcm)

the following pins are connected in the box which means that you will need to connect them and share the same fuse.
E9 Brown o2 sensor at firewall
D9 Brown o2 sensor after cat
F9 Brown evap purge sol (rear of 3400 engine)
and also connect your brown vent sol wire from rear of cav, might be rt front on yours.
All 4 wires on ERLS fuse 10a hot in run.

the cooling fan on the alero is a dual , 2 speed setup which is configured in the fuse box using 3 relays and 2 pcm outputs. If you only use one output you will get a code for shorted or open relay circuit. If you search you will come across the diagram on here for the dual setup, but most guys are just running the J fan. You can just use the low speed pcm output on pin 6 of c1. this is the relay enable.
Other fan wires are, C12, B12 , C10, D10, D11, F11, F3 and D3. D3 is your low speed pcm enable wire Dk green

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:01 PM
is this right?

3400 harness j body harness
C-3/PIN 23 CLEAR TCC BRAKE PIN 34 BLUE
BLUE PIN 19 PCM WAKE PIN 19 BLUE
BLUE PIN 58 CLASS II DATA PIN 58 BLUE
BLUE PIN 55 VSS PIN 16 BLACK
CLEAR PIN 5 MIL CONTROL PIN 46 BLACK
---------------------------------------------------------------------
on these below i just dont know what they hook to on the cav
since i wont have cruise on the car i wont use those wires
the brown wires from the 02 sensors
and i use the cavs' starter wires and relay

A-7 goes to the fuel injection harness
B-2 starter relay control
B-3starter solenoid crank voltage
E-7 alternator
F-9
E-9
D-9
B-11

----------------------------------------------------------------------
C-8,D-5,D-8, and E-6 all hook under the 10 amp pcm fuse on the cav fuse box?
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:21 PM
can i get someone to just copy and paste where these wires land, i guess i should've done this to
begin with.

A3
A4
A6
A7
A12
---------------------------
B2
B3
B5
B8
B11
B12
C3
C8
C12
D5
D8
D9
D10
E6
E7
E9
F5
F9
F11

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:27 PM
For someone to help you there, they need to know which plug you are talking about, and for which car.

And not to be a dick, but I'm seriously thinking that you might be getting in over your head with this wiring. You might want to consider contacting someone like gtpsunfire and seeing if he might be interested in modding your harness for you. I don't currently have the time to take on such a project, otherwise I would have PM'd you regarding it.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:35 PM
its the alero C1 block, the list is for double checking myself, its turning out to be easier then i thought mabe thats cause im an electrician, anyway im learning,
Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:10 PM
All for C1 plug of the 04 alero underhood fuse box

A3 starter relay enable (+) since yours is a stick , attach this to your pcm assy fuse, hot in acc run and start.
A4 auto trans 10a
A6 ac compressor clutch gry (gnd) (note that the compressor clutch diode is in the fuse box on the alero)
A7 injectors f pump 15a
A12 antilock brake module stop lamp supply lt blue
B2 starter relay coil yel, (-) from ecm pin 76
B3 starter relay switched output purple to starter soloniod
B5 elec brake control mod 15a
Showing 2 B8's, are possibly attached in the terminal?
B8 ac compressor ground, connected to A6 in conjunction with the diode, in wich the other side of it is attached to the pos clutch coil.
B8 fuel pump relay coil ground
B11 crank 10a
B12 cooling fan ground loop
C3 tcc brake sw for cruise
C8 pcm ign 10a
C12 cooling fan ground loop
D5 Ign module 10a
D8 MAF sensor 10a
D9 connect to erls fuse as stated in last post
D10 cooling fan blk
E6 Pcm bat fuse 10a
E7 Gen batt 10a
E9 connect to erls fuse as stated before
F5 back up lanp BTSI 15a
F9 connect to ERLs fuse as stated in my last post
F11 cooling fan white

Have fun.

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:25 AM
jameson toler wrote:its the alero C1 block, the list is for double checking myself, its turning out to be easier then i thought mabe thats cause im an electrician, anyway im learning,

OK. It was just starting to sound like you were over your head. It really isn't a hard job, just tedious, and you have to pretty much just have to examine your harnesses and compare to the diagrams to see what needs to be spliced.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search