some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 53 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:37 PM
oh s#%*

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:41 PM
Quote:

its a 99grand am ecu and 04' harness

Still need the BCM/HPT fix

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:13 PM
ill just delete the passlock using HPT, and it seems like the ignition 3 is the only power wires that are not hot all the time, is it suppose to be that way?
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:05 PM
D7 on the cav C100 is a fuel tank presure sensor ground, can i just ground it, c100 says its a sensor return and the cav ecu says its a ground, but to me it seems like it needs to go to the 3400 ecu, right?
from reading 20 pages back, bout sharing 5v ref, u cant since u hav to match the ref with the sensor, but do u have match the low reference to a sensor since nowhere on the pinouts does it put a sensor after the low reference, for example on the alero ecu c2-35 gray it just says low ref, or can i just cut it and forget it,
Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:17 PM
if it calls for the sensor ground to come from the ecm, thats what you should do. If It didnt go there it wouldnt have been there in the first place. do it once and do it right. you dont to keep rewiring it cause you wanted to try something new.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, February 20, 2009 12:30 PM
think C2 34, 35 are both the 5 volt referance you need to match it what ever was on that circuit on the cav match it to the alero. you don't wanna over load a circuit.

as for the Ingniton 3 thats usually to the 02 sensors they are hot only in run thats normal

matching to the circuit also applys to the pink ignition positives. for example if EGR was paired with say MAP on the cav harness DO IT on the 3400 harness, or you could risk popping fuses

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, February 27, 2009 8:38 PM
C2-69 is one wire that i dont have a place for, and is throwing a 0463 code (high voltage), if im right its telling the computer that the fuel level is to low so it wont let the engine run.
the same with C2-45,46, code 0748, and what would be 1610 loss of PZM serial data?
Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:56 AM
C2 45/46 are auto trans related are your doin an auto?????

C2-69 is fuel level reason your having issues is the fuel level is sent from the PCM on that where as your car (did you say was a 98) is sent right from the sender, you could switch yous car over to an 00+ body wiring and add a BCM

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:40 PM
u know anything about the pzm, i still need to know where that wire would go to, (C2-69) it goes back to the tank right?
Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:59 PM
If your cav is a 98 you wont attach c2-69 to anything. Your cluster reads the fuel level without the ecm's help.
If your J was a 00+ you would have to use the c2-69 wire, since yours is not , you dont need it.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:02 PM
will that pzm code keep it from running?

Friday, March 13, 2009 2:10 AM
I am looking to bore my V6 and was wondering what is the safest to bore over and still run a hight compression piston. I am looking at 20 or 30 over.
Friday, March 13, 2009 2:42 AM
20 or 30 over should be fine. If you want good info on modding your V6, get onto 60DegreeV6.com and read some of the stickies there. If you don't find what you're looking for, post your question in the pushrod performance section. Plenty of guys there know the 3x00 engines inside and out.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:36 AM
JAS wrote:I am looking to bore my V6 and was wondering what is the safest to bore over and still run a hight compression piston. I am looking at 20 or 30 over.

Not sure.... but if you want to run higher compression pistons, look into using the 3.4 F-body pistons.

www.gmscf.com
Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:13 AM
SHOoff (Tuner Bash Beer God) wrote:
JAS wrote:I am looking to bore my V6 and was wondering what is the safest to bore over and still run a hight compression piston. I am looking at 20 or 30 over.

Not sure.... but if you want to run higher compression pistons, look into using the 3.4 F-body pistons.

QFT.

IIRC, it bumps the 3400 up over a full point doing nothing else.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:52 AM
yeah I was looking at those pistons. If I use those pistons wouldn't i Need to start using premium gas And a colder plug?
Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:27 AM
JAS wrote:yeah I was looking at those pistons. If I use those pistons wouldn't i Need to start using premium gas And a colder plug?

Definitely need to go with a little higher octane if you increase compression, but the plugs depend. Some of the newer motors already have plugs that will handle it well.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:40 AM
3.4 Pistons put you at nearly 12:1 compression I do believe. However, if you do the 3500 top end your cr would go down some since the 3500 heads have a slightly bigger cc.

www.gmscf.com
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:37 PM
Sh!t, does it go to 12:1? I was thinking it was around 11:1. High compression NA beast FTW!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:42 PM
I'm thinking of the 3.6L LLT. It'd be interesting. Stock with just shy of 300 Horse. Just having trouble with finding the info on the bell housing pattern. I believe it has the same 60 degree block as the 3.5L, 3.6L (LY7), and 3.9L so maybe the F40 would be a perfect fit? Don't know about the wiring yet. I do control wiring for machines so this isn't a big deal physically, it's finding the wiring diagrams and what harnesses I'm going to have to molest into a 2 dr. Was thinking of fiber glassing a dash in to fit a stock cluster but I don't know what interior harness I'm going to use yet. Info? Ideas? Please don't respond back criticizing saying it's a waste of money. It's a hobby of mine to fabricate.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!
Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:25 PM
I don't think anyone's really done a swap with one of those. So you're pretty much on your own.

Custom mounts would be in order for sure. If it's got the same bolt pattern (probably can find out on 60degreev6.com) as the 3400 then you can use a 2.2 transmission. Not sure if it'll hold the power though, probably not. F40 might fit the engine, but maybe have trouble fitting the car.... again, custom mounts would have to be done there too.

Wiring, it will be one hell of a catastrophe. As new of an engine I't probably got DBW and all kinds of fancy @!#$ you'll have to cope with.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:36 PM
The 3.6 will not fit the same transmissions as the other 60 degree V6 engines. That and the 2800 both have the same bellhousing as the ECO, which means if you were going to swap it, you would need the ECO transmission. As for mounting, because those engines have VVT, the frame rail mount can not be used. You would have to do a subframe style mounting job.

As for wiring, if you're up to fabricating the interior, I'd get the entire body harness, cluster--everything--from the donor vehicle. Basically, you're going to electrically convert your J-body to the donor vehicle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:10 AM

Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:24 AM
I'm glad to hear that the eco tranny will work. I have a spare with a few worn synchros. I was already figuring a subframe style mount and doing the nwf swap as well as the irs. Most of the interior can stay the same except for the dash assembly. I can reuse the plug connectors for the power windows, locks, ... I don't know about what harness I'll be using so I'm at a standstill with that obstacle. I'm kind of leaning towards a cadillac cts but I know that wont be cheap. I wish I could find a site where I could look at wiring diagrams and go from there. Maybe a harness from an impala, malibu, or g6 would be similar. I need to do more research on gm's new power-steering design since I believe it's all electronic, so I might be considering a manual rack.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!
Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:43 AM
bump from the dead...

I plan on doing a 5spd 3400 swap (from a 2000sunfire 2200 OHV and 4spdauto) and getting it to pass AZ emissions. In order to do this, I have to have the OBDII port functioning properly, which means running one computer only. I spoke with a headguru from the emissions departments, and he stated an engine swap was completely fine, even if it was a different engine/harness/ecm than one offered in the jbody. The catalytic converter and EVAP system has to be intact however.

Does anyone know anything at all about the 3400 regarding emissions? I will more than likely be pulling a 3400 and harness from a grandam, using the impala ECM as well as HPTuners (allowing me to run one computer and not need to piggyback). The plan is to retain the evap canister (including lines to fuel tank and canister vent solenoid) and use everything else from the donor (tubing from canister to EVAP canister purge valve, tubing from mentioned purge valve to PCV valve, fuel pressure regulator/tubing, etc). Has anyone kept the emissions system intact?

Also, I know ABS is a love/hate deal but I want to remove mine. Out of curiousty, has anyone got ABS to work with this swap? What about airbags?
Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:18 PM
idk wat to tell you about emissions. in my first swap i nly ran the 3400 ecm and my obd port just went to the 3400 pcm idk if your emisssions wold care wat pcm it saw as long as there was no cel and u passed the sniff test. abs,bags... should all work fine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search