Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:34 PM
Damn that sounds sick. But the J is your true love don't deny it, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, April 06, 2013 9:01 AM
Hahaha I know bro it's wicked bad in that vid, I was so sooped bout the turn out of the show I was wicked in my element =] ever time I watch the vid I say to myself "damn I sound retarded" lol... Oh Fooor lmfao

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:32 PM
3.1 installed and tuned?

Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:56 PM
Luke C wrote:3.1 installed and tuned?

And epic. Oldskool worked some serious magic with the tune, its unreal. Lots of pics coming mid week when I get home.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:27 PM
Awesome...I'm jealous

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:12 PM
Update time! Had a hugely successful weekend in Pennsyltucky. Got the 3.1 pulley installed along with some Lucas 42 lb/hr injectors and an aeromotive AFPR. And of course, about 4 or 5 hours of "intense" tuning with Ryan and Matt (Matt will get the joke). On with pics:

Ready for business. I love coming home..

Started with the pulley swap. I rented ZZP's puller for 40 bucks with shipping. For anyone looking to swap pullies, I highly recommend the ZZP piece as it was rock solid, did the job right, and didn't cost too much.

ZZP modular hub installed:

modular 3.1 installed:

Fuel rail, 42s, and AFPR next:

Installed:

Then hit my first snag when I found out ZZP hosed me on the injector harness. I was told it would fit a J but it's not even close; they clearly sent me a cobalt harness. Despite my serious reservations, I was forced to cut and splice with my factory harness to make it work:

Definitely not my best work but it's been fine so far. I'm not happy with it so I'll be grabbing another one from the yard and taking my time with it to make sure it's perfect:

I love our humble abode:

FINALLY figured out my ABS issue. Pretty common with GM cars:

Now I can finally put that car molesting transmission shop behind me:

Fresh oil, ready for Oldskool to work his magic:

Tucked in after a hard day:

Ready to come home!

Some short videos..
0-90mph pull

Catching up to a car doing ~60mph

I'm working on getting some better videos both in quality and length, stay tuned.

This thing really benefited from the 3.1, really rips harder now. Also to note is the Automotive AFPR; I recommend it to EVERYONE. I ended up bumping the pressure to 70psi at idle. I'm using the boost reference so it's adding about 1psi of fuel per 1psi of boost, meaning at 13psi at redline(which is about the max I hit while tuning) I'm around 83-85psi. Thank god I decided to invest in one of these because I would have been maxing out these 42s and then some on stock pressure. I don't know why this motor loves fuel so much but believe me when I say it does. Ryan told me that I'd pretty much be maxing out 60s with stock pressure and that's just ridiculous for a 3.1 with stock internals.

Anyway, another added benefit was that we saw virtually NO knock and it took about 19 degrees of timing all day on hard pulls. We're assuming the higher pressure allows for better atomization of the fuel. The last huge benefit is the spectacular highway mileage. I drove home with FIVE cases of bottled beer in the trunk and the AC on the whole time, also hit a little traffic in the middle. I calculated my mileage at 34.6mpg!! The fuel pressure helps people, believe it!

Matt and Ryan can also attest that we blew the doors off of a supercharged JR32 VW with an extra person in my car, it wasn't even close. Aren't doze Vdubs supposed 2 B fast yo? That !@$# was hilarious...and reminded me why I love rolling in a J car!

Think that's all for now. Thanks for looking everyone! More vids and dyno results coming soon!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:20 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:22 PM
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:37 PM
More jealous envy here haha....only good thing is i already have a zzp hub installed. Same thing for me with the abs issue. Mine had a break somewhere in the line though (couldnt see it). All better now though. Nice 0-90

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:22 PM
Whats the part number for the Aeromotive??

Also....you suck...and im so incredibly jealous of you and your tuners...

Either way man...awesome!
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:44 PM
firstly..congrats, that is bad ass that you have a tuner so readily accessible!!! THAT makes me Jealous! (<-----with a capital J!!)

secondly..make sure you get a proper, solid wiring harness rigged up for the fuel injectors..one of my wires (cylinder 1) broke and I never knew it, throwing all kinds of misfire codes until I found it.
also.....get it to the track! Im curious to see your weight and what times you run with that 3.1.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:08 AM
FEEL THE POWER!!!

Luke C wrote:More jealous envy here haha....only good thing is i already have a zzp hub installed. Same thing for me with the abs issue. Mine had a break somewhere in the line though (couldnt see it). All better now though. Nice 0-90

I'm just so happy to have it fixed. I HATE lights on the dash. The ZZP hub is a nice piece, glad I'll never be dealing with press on stuff again. Make a trip from Chicago! I'll put you up for a weekend while Ryan works his magic, lol.

Philly D wrote:Whats the part number for the Aeromotive??

Also....you suck...and im so incredibly jealous of you and your tuners...

Either way man...awesome!

Haha thanks man. Sorry about the tuning woes. Get in touch with Oldskool he can at least get you pointed in the right direction if you decide to tackle it yourself. The Aeromotive pn is 13107. DO NOT get the 13106 as it looks the same but is actually backwards (meant for the other rail on a v8).

blu04DD wrote:firstly..congrats, that is bad ass that you have a tuner so readily accessible!!! THAT makes me Jealous! (

Thanks! I definitely mentioned to him a few times how lucky I am that he's local, lol. Planning on the track and the dyno this season, so I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:27 AM
I may have missed it but what tune are you going with?

And this may be a nice cheap upgrade for you soon...notice the size difference! This is the comparison of the throttle bodies for: LS1 L61 Vortec

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:27 AM
Didn't realize my favorite picture didn't show up!

New signature shot anyone?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:44 AM
blu04DD wrote:I may have missed it but what tune are you going with?

And this may be a nice cheap upgrade for you soon...notice the size difference! This is the comparison of the throttle bodies for: LS1 L61 Vortec

What do you mean by what tune? It's a completely custom tune with live hpt tuning. I've been thinking about bigger throttle bodies. It seems like they're all some kind of headache whether it's sensors or cable wheels, etc. I know I could definitely benefit but I'm sick of rigging stuff up. On the other hand, I have to redo my intake plumbing because the elbow I have now is a 2 ply piece and I'm sure it's sucking shut on a hard pull at least a little. The only way to find out for sure would be a dyno pull, which I'm planning soon. So, if I'm going to spend the money on quality elbows I should probably just buck up and do one of these tb's as well so I don't have to buy twice if I ever do decide to upgrade.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:41 AM
yeah...youre using HPTuners is what i meant. Im going to try to see what success i can get with Trifecta and what magic Vince can work on my car with the current setup. The cams and meth and other parts i have waiting to go in will just either wait until i do a different motor altogether or can finally bite the bullet and do the HPT setup with the LD9 ECU/harness swap.

lookin good though, cant wait to see your other videos!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:16 PM
There are some minor issues with a "fake" 2.5 bar setup like the one I have but overall it's a fantastic tune. You don't HAVE to go with the ld9 pcm. There are some benefits of going that route on paper but I haven't seen any real life data supporting it. Either way if you do go with HPT post up in the tuning forum. Some guys, including Ryan, are happy to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:17 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:38 PM
i actually spoke with Ryan (p&p tuning) once in an email then never heard back. he initially responded to my request about cost to have him come down or me go up there for a tune session or something, but it pretty much ended there and i didnt get any information out of him after he asked if anyone here had HPT experience that could help me and i told him no. he's prob pretty busy and it doesnt help that im as far away as i can possibly be down here...so Ill just go with Trifecta for now. Ill do what I can and try to get by on my own i guess, as relying on others doesnt seem to work out too well. or maybe ill just move up north

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:35 PM
blu04DD wrote:or maybe ill just move up north

eeek, I'd trade you any day, haha. Anyway, when I say Ryan I'm talking about Oldskool who does my tuning. Has Vince changed your redline? Going to 7k really helped my shifting.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:00 PM
hmmm seeing that you had good luck with upping the fuel pressure im wondering if maybe i should with my LD9/M45....

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:34 PM
The biggest benefit i can see to the ld9 ecu is the car actually seeing boost. depending on the situation i can hit positive pressure before power enrichment comes in... I also run into instances where Im out of boost but the car hits pe causing an extremely rich condition.

Keep in mind my car was the first s/c car Ryan tuned and we didn't have much time to get tune.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:42 PM
But isnt there the issue with the ld9 pcm where its slow to enter PE which is hard for us supercharger guys?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:08 PM
Philly D wrote:But isnt there the issue with the ld9 pcm where its slow to enter PE which is hard for us supercharger guys?

Also terrible phantom knock problems. Most people with serious tunes end up tuning down the sensitivity of the knock sensor to compensate. Personally, I feel like that's playing with fire.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:46 PM
Quite a few j owners have desensitized with no ill effects...

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:18 PM
strat81 wrote:Quite a few j owners have desensitized with no ill effects...

Kudos to them, but I'm all set with that technique.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 22, 2013 4:44 PM
Two small updates. First, I discovered that the rubber intake piece coming off my throttle body is a cheap 2 ply piece. It's pretty obvious that it will suck shut under any hard vacuum (like when suddenly flooring it). So, I looked ALL over the place for an elbow but no one had anything in stock and wanted 65 bucks for a 4 ply . I found one online for 12 bucks, and here it is:

It's definitely not the nicest piece in the world but it's not seeing any boost so I'm not concerned.

Installed:

Suffice to say I shouldn't be having that problem anymore. Second, I've been sanding down a spare cam cover in the sink over the winter for some polishing action in the spring. Finally had the opportunity to get it polished up amateur style. BIG thanks to Ninja Bling for the use of his place.

Sanded down:

Real men polish with an apron:

Installed:

Close up:

It's definitely not the best job in the world but not bad for a ball in a power drill.

Cmac took some cool pics during the cruise from Ninja's car too:

That's it for now, calling the dyno shop tomorrow and hopefully setting a time for this Saturday. Results coming soon!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search