Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:23 AM
Photo time!! This weekend was extremely productive. First thing was 4 new tires, the old ones were getting down there. I went with Bridgestone Potenza 97AS, supposedly one of their "flagship" tires.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

The shop:

Dismounting the old toyos:

These sidewalls are STIFF. I went to to 80psi trying to get the bead to seat but no dice. Tried greasing them, hitting them with a hammer, letting them sit in the sun, EVERYTHING. They all looked like this:

I had to take them to firestone to have them seated up, they used 110psi!!! We were using a broom handle to push the air compressor button in case of a blow out Guess that means they should handle pretty well.

After that the real work began. Successfully drilled and tapped the Katech throttle body adapter for 1/8-27 NPT threads. It was a little tight but there's definitely room. Where I tapped it isn't too astetically pleasing but in my opinion it's the only place where I had enough room in the bay. Once again, I HATE Snow Performance's nozzle setup for is size and ugliness. Pics:

With lines:

How I set up the anti-siphoning solenoid and boost switch, made my own little bracket:

It works!! After just a pull or 2 the supercharger was stone cold to the touch. So cold, in fact, that it was sweating like a soda can!

Had a great time at Matt's for the KGM BBQ but was too lame to snap any pics. Thanks to Oldskool's magic, we were able to dial everything in and resolve the check engine light issues I've been having. We kind of cheated by basically disabling the p0300 code but after 250+ miles and 10+ drive cycles all of the emissions monitors have set, minus evap of course. Freggin evap always takes FOREVER. I think that's it for now. On the way home a stone kicked up on the highway and chipped my windshield so that's getting repaired today; more reasons for me to hate Connecticut. Luckily my insurance came through and is fixing it for free.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:40 AM
Somebody stop me!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:04 PM
somebody talk you into it so i can get yours lol

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:06 PM
dont get too addicted to meth! LOL

as for the nozzle, i feel your pain. this is what you do to fix it.... take a LARGER drill bit, bore the outter threads out a bit, then thread the thing deeper into the tb adapter. thats what i did anyway. also, why not just mount it underneath?

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:12 PM
Tim you're a bad friend haha

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:dont get too addicted to meth! LOL

as for the nozzle, i feel your pain. this is what you do to fix it.... take a LARGER drill bit, bore the outter threads out a bit, then thread the thing deeper into the tb adapter. thats what i did anyway. also, why not just mount it underneath?

I thought about doing that but I'm too afraid to @$#* it up and then not be able to drive it at all. Reason it isn't on the bottom is because there's a big evap port there that takes up most of the space.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:49 PM
Evap delete.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 6:42 PM
tim adams wrote:somebody talk you into it so i can get yours lol

Lmfao tio bad i called dibs on it weeks ago, and also said a variation of this in one of our mass texts

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:21 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Tim you're a bad friend haha

that sir would make you the good friend

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:00 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:Somebody stop me!

You will not regret it one bit.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:55 AM
Since I'm bored on the toilet before going to work, in comparison how small of a pulley would you need to run on a m62 to match the power level of the TVS with a stock pulley (what size is that btw)

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:33 AM
i dont think you can really, when looking at efficiency, cooling, and the fact that its 33% larger. Maybe Im wrong..but this is also my next step depending on how things go in the next few months, or by Spring. We'll see!

Great progress! Im jealous you got your meth set up and working before i did. Ive had all my stuff since this time last YEAR! lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:25 AM
blu04DD wrote:i dont think you can really, when looking at efficiency, cooling, and the fact that its 33% larger. Maybe Im wrong..but this is also my next step depending on how things go in the next few months, or by Spring. We'll see!

Great progress! Im jealous you got your meth set up and working before i did. Ive had all my stuff since this time last YEAR! lol

Agreed. There's just no way to get anywhere close to the efficiency and output of a tvs with an m62.

Derek I'd love to see you snag a tvs, especially since you'll be running a full lsj motor. While you have everything out you should look into getting the meth kit installed too. It's pretty simple to set up and then you could get it all tuned in one shot. There's nothing like doing some hard pulls with the m62 still cold to the touch

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:39 AM
Yeah we'll see! A TVS would be sick, but its not practical right now. Gotta get a feel for how well the LSJ is going to hold up (no telling what the PO did to it and it sat for a while).

I bought a digital themometer from Harbor Freight so I could start recording operating temps 'before and after' cooling mods. I know for a fact that when its cooler here in TX at night the blower just loved it and the car had a noticable amount of torque compared to mid day (100+ degree temps). So the meth has got to be helping!

What psi do you have yours set to spray? I was thinking if I get 13psi or so, ill have it activate at 10psi. That way i wont waste methenol while driving half-aggressive in traffic.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 5:31 PM
Definitely interested in the temperature data you come up with.

My setup kicks in around 7psi. It's a little low for my taste but I was having some trouble dialing it in right so it's close enough. It definitely comes in a little early but I still have to get on the throttle at least 50 or 60%. Right now it seems like I'm having siphoning issues even with the solenoid. Gotta test it out and see whats going on.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:57 PM
yeah I wont be running the solenoid. Just the line from the pump to the nozzle, with a check valve right near the nozzle. Then the manual gauge set at about 10 since Im expecting about 13-15psi at WOT. The reason I don't want to have it any lower is because my tank is a lot smaller than yours. I don't want to be running low every few days because I tend to enjoy the whine every chance I get

did you ever finalize your trunk setup for the meth/battery? I think Im going to work on that this weekend after detailing my engine bay while everything's out. Motor/tranny were going to be put back together for install but I need to wait a few business days before doing so now

Friday, September 06, 2013 12:25 AM
blu04DD wrote:Yeah we'll see! A TVS would be sick, but its not practical right now. Gotta get a feel for how well the LSJ is going to hold up (no telling what the PO did to it and it sat for a while).

I bought a digital themometer from Harbor Freight so I could start recording operating temps 'before and after' cooling mods. I know for a fact that when its cooler here in TX at night the blower just loved it and the car had a noticable amount of torque compared to mid day (100+ degree temps). So the meth has got to be helping!

What psi do you have yours set to spray? I was thinking if I get 13psi or so, ill have it activate at 10psi. That way i wont waste methenol while driving half-aggressive in traffic.

Spray your intercooler with liquid nitrogen when your under boost. Your daytime power problem will be gone.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, September 09, 2013 7:25 AM
Awaiting pics of said hood install from other thread....

Monday, September 09, 2013 7:27 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Spray your intercooler with liquid nitrogen when your under boost. Your daytime power problem will be gone.

lol.

So I tested the solenoid and it seems to be working properly. I think the pump really does just push that much fluid. I'm going to try diluting the meth down a little more and see if that saves me some money. At this point it's about a gallon every half tank. Just need to be careful monitoring my AFRs.

On a happy note I've completed my first real body mod! Drove to Albany to pick it up:

Had to drive like this for 3 hours. Some of the looks I got were hilarious. It wasn't so hilarious when it started to rain..

Fitted:

Back home and tucked in for the night:

I'm happy with it. Still debating on whether I want to paint the outside of it like others have or not. Depends on how the surface looks after a good wet sanding.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, September 09, 2013 7:28 AM
Luke C wrote:Awaiting pics of said hood install from other thread....

lol ask and you shall receive.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, September 09, 2013 8:24 AM
VERY nice! It is fully functional too, thats a great purchase.
I personally think it would look better partially painted like mine, leaving the center section carbon fiber. But thats a great looking hood. Only thing is I went with better hood pins that protected the hood with rubber bushings/inserts vs the metal ones. Now plasti dip the front center section of the front lip as well as in the rear like me and you're good!

Monday, September 09, 2013 8:49 AM
blu04DD wrote:VERY nice! It is fully functional too, thats a great purchase.
I personally think it would look better partially painted like mine, leaving the center section carbon fiber. But thats a great looking hood. Only thing is I went with better hood pins that protected the hood with rubber bushings/inserts vs the metal ones. Now plasti dip the front center section of the front lip as well as in the rear like me and you're good!

Yeah the pins definitely aren't my first choice. But, being that this is a used hood they were already installed so I'm just using what was there and working. There is one small problem area above the passenger side headlight where the top and bottom pieces are splitting apart. I think the only way to fix it right is with a good amount of fiberglass resin. That being said, I'll probably paint it like you described to cover that patch.

As for the two pieces you plasti dipped, I think I'm going to continue not doing it just to piss you off

"In Oldskool we trust"

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:13 AM
Awesome! I'll be picking up the same style hood this coming weekend and using sparco hood pins like yours...personally i like the look of those the best

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:28 AM
i do have to say driving with no hood got us alot of looks

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:19 AM
yeah i did it for a short time..and then when i picked up the invader hood, i had a blue car with a red hood with carbon fiber in the middle..was definitely a ricer experience lol.
but you just need to get rid of those heavy factory wheels (even though they look good) and strip all of your LSS stuff, put it to base model specs, get some mud flaps, paint it blue, buy some projector head light assemblies, remove the fog lights, take off the spoiler, fill in the sun roof, and you'll be just like me!!!

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:33 AM
sexy ass hood man

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search