Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor. - Page 16 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor.
Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:56 PM
Not sure to honest, the stock LE5 valves I have have the "tulip" shape on the underside, the Si valves I have in it now have alot less of a dish to them, so that will help some as well.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:56 PM
Keep up the good work man. im digging it! cant wait to see how that clutch grips!

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:14 AM
Niceprogress man. If you would be willing to make the ckp sensor bracket I'd be willing to purchase one.

Friday, July 22, 2011 3:39 AM
Phil found pics of stock LSJ pistons last night, they have a "doughnut" style dish, so with negative cc's on the piston i don't see how the head can be any more than 53 cc's.

Friday, July 22, 2011 5:47 AM
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:Niceprogress man. If you would be willing to make the ckp sensor bracket I'd be willing to purchase one.

x2 on this.

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:28 AM
oldskool wrote:Phil found pics of stock LSJ pistons last night, they have a "doughnut" style dish, so with negative cc's on the piston i don't see how the head can be any more than 53 cc's.

In that case then I also cant see how it would be any more than 53cc.

A dished piston would drop the CR into the 8's.

Oh well, I am going to compression test my motor once I've got it running, for one to make sure everything is fine and two because I'm interested in the numbers (yes I know they don't relate to anything...lol). My old 2.2 made 205, if they are infact 56cc cambers the that would drop my CR to near 10:1 again, so you would expect to see the same 205psi in the cylinders.

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:20 AM
Well, it runs......started up like a champ late Saturday night...no videos since it only ran for a min or two due to having neighbours and its still open header at the moment.

Sounds alot healthier than the old motor thats for sure.

Still got a few issues to sort out but I hope to have it on the road by the weeks end.

I'll try and grab a vid of it running tonight if I can get out to the garage early enough.

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:26 AM
@!#$ yes!!!!!!!!!

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:31 AM
My thoughts exactly^^. Eagerly awaiting videos!

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:24 AM
awesome news - good to hear!

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:13 PM
Im Here ...

-Ben

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:21 AM
Hey Ben!

Well come bad news from the garage last night, I have deleloped a pretty gnarly oil leak from the timing chain cover (gasket must be bad) also, my trigger wheel was not centered on the pulley some how, it was spinning out of round..gonna have to get that fixed up.

Other than that, no news to report, no videos sadly from last night.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:46 PM
would be sick to see it this weekend, im coming down... or up deppends what way you look at it lol

13.22 @ 105.2
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:42 PM
newt wrote:Hey Ben!

Well come bad news from the garage last night, I have deleloped a pretty gnarly oil leak from the timing chain cover (gasket must be bad) also, my trigger wheel was not centered on the pulley some how, it was spinning out of round..gonna have to get that fixed up.

Other than that, no news to report, no videos sadly from last night.

I have no idea how it would spin out of round, those were reemed to the exact size of our crank pulley bolt lol, unless you reemed it more since you coated it... hopefully its nothing major

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:16 AM
Some pics:

Finished the 3" portion of my exhaust, thanks to my buddy:

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:47 AM
No love for the full 3" dumped exhaust? lol

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:58 AM
oh you know i do!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:17 AM
What "full" exhaust?? lol love it! cant wait to hear vids of this thing

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:36 PM
Oh so thats how your gonna run it? cut off just like that? lol I like!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:46 PM
Hahaha I wish...that would be bad ass, however I don't wanna be deaf in a few months, im going to run the rest of the exhaust off a "Y" so straight through will be the 3" dump when I open my electric cut-out, and when its closed it will go through the "Y" and around the 3" pipe and then to the rest of the exhaust.

Basically a normal cut-out set-up but reveresed, that and for my "Y" we are just welding in a 2.25" pipe into the side of that short 3" section.

Didn't have time (or the flanges) to make the 2.25" pipe connection to the rest of my exhaust.

I get pictures of the final set-up, its kinda hard to describe.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:02 PM
newt wrote:No love for the full 3" dumped exhaust? lol

that's how mine is, but I have a large snail shaped object helpin to quiet it lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:52 AM
Mad love for 3" dump setup!

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:48 AM
Bad News: Made no progress so far, replaced the timing cover gasket and it was still leaking oil. Quickly realized it was my oil pan that was infact leaking.

Really REALLY Bad News: Pulled my oil pan off to redo the RTV gasket and the bottom of the pan is full of metal sludge/filings (was clean inside before I put it on). Pulled the oil filter and its the same story.

I have a few ideas what it might be, but other than that I have no clue, gonna have to fire it up and hope for the best if I can't track down the root cause.

Car should be on the road by Saturday, provided the motor lasts long enough to leave the driveway...lol

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:57 AM
Oh damn, that is not good news. (Without reading back through the pages) did you have rod and main bearing work done with this new motor? Could it be clearance issue?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, July 29, 2011 6:12 AM
Nope, bottom end hasn't been touched at all, I pulled the valve cover and there is no sign of any metal up there and everything looks good.

So its either my oil pump gears wearing in (or eating themselves) or there is a chance it could be the factory LE5 crank sensor hitting the reluctor ring. There is a strange, what looks to be wear, pattern on the ring, but I didn't have time last night to pull the intake manifold off to get to the sensor. I had removed the sensor out of curiosity when I was building the motor and when I put it back in I had thought it might of not been seated properly (didn't think much of it at the time since I'm just using it to plug the hole), so maybe it is crooked just enough that it is contacting the ring.

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is that the bottom end was shot when I bought the motor...which would seem very unlikely.

Going to check those things, then fire it up and let it run at 2000rpm for 20min or so. Flush the oil/new filter, drive it for a hundred miles or so, flush the oil and and put a new filter in. Will also probably do a compression test on it after I get some road miles on it to be double sure its not the rings.

Crossing my fingers right now that its nothing major.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search