3800 SC Install...with pics. - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SC Install...with pics.
Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:48 PM
His transmission is a 2K from a 2.2 Sunfire... Getrag 5speed. <br>

Sunday, February 15, 2004 7:59 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:as for the fuel pump question. You need to upgrade to a GTP fuel pump because it is a dual stage pump that is required when you use a 3800sc.

Ummm, read the stuff changed:

Raven wrote:The parts that were used are as follows;
3800 supercharged series 2 V6 (from a 99 Regal with 40,000kms)
SC 3800 wiring harness (from a 99 Regal)
Custom tuned 3800 PCM (done by Digital Horsepower)
2000 2.2l getrag muncie 5-speed transmittion
Custom tubular subframe (2" square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness)
Custom fabricated lower engine mount (using a mount from a 3800 and some flat steel)
Stock front transmittion mount (filled with polyeurethane)
Custom Dog Bone mounts (made with 1 1/2" steel tubing) with aluminum bushings
Custom aluminum flywheel (9.5lbs) made by Racetech
Bully stage 4 pressure plate
Bully stage 3 clutch disk (4 puck design)
Fuel pump from a Grand Prix GTP
3.4" Supercharger pully
160 degree thermostat
N.O.S. wet nitrous system (using 100hp jets)
Thrasher N20 install kit (also acting as a TB spacer)
Custom cold air intake (using an Ractive intake for a 2002 Ford F150)

Right above the 3.4" Supercharger Pully

Like I said in another post, they thought of basically everything that needed to be done, and took a lot more into consideration than I would have. Double Z and Raven did their homework.. And they read posts. LOL.
Sunday, February 15, 2004 8:24 AM
Viper98912 wrote:did anyone catch this????

Quote:

Fuel pump from a Grand Prix GTP

more info???

I was answering HIS question Teknic. So i guess its not me that doesnt read the whole post now is it...

Sunday, February 15, 2004 6:50 PM
the reason i ask, is that maybe we could use this intank fuel pump for other boosted apps? <br>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, February 15, 2004 7:09 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:I was answering HIS question Teknic. So i guess its not me that doesnt read the whole post now is it...

Doh! Egg on my face now. I didn't notice that one earlier, so yeah - didn't quote read all the posts *shrug* Sorry man. I also didn't read your post right to notice the "as for the fuel pump question". I could try to blame it on lack of sleep, but oh well. Egg on my face
Monday, February 16, 2004 3:02 AM
The tranny that is being using is a 5-speed muncie from a 2000 2.2l cavalier. It is basicly a redesign of the older 282 muncie's and said to be stronger than the original.

The fuel pump is from a 99 GTP. We were going to use an LT1 pump and splice it into my original sending unit intill we found out that the whole sending unit (pump and all) from a GTP would drop right into the tank. I used the original snap ring and everything.

Hopefully we will get the parts that we need today to make the car drivable. I priced up the parts from GM and they expensive it you ask me so we are trying to locate them from a scrap yard. GM wants $198 for both shift cables (I only need one but they are sold in sets) the throtle cable is $36 which isn't too bad and the bracket for the tranny is $60. I should have word later on today on what I'm going to do. <br>

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 16, 2004 3:55 PM
ya, I jsut called them casue I need a shift cable for my Sunbird, and I understood it was that much for 1 cable...oh well, I went to the good ol junk yard
Tuesday, February 17, 2004 2:58 AM
Sunvalier wrote:ya, I jsut called them casue I need a shift cable for my Sunbird, and I understood it was that much for 1 cable...oh well, I went to the good ol junk yard

Thats what I thought it would be too, and I'm having a problem finding one at a scrape yard because they usally don't keep shift cables, they just throw them out. That and me needing one from a 2000+ tranny doesn't help. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, February 18, 2004 5:13 AM
well, we're still trying to located the throtle cable and shift cable that we need to finnish the job. I will keep everyone updated. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, February 18, 2004 7:59 AM
I can't wait to see this thing actualy in motion! At this point just get the cables from the dealer <br>

98sunfire4dr
Friday, February 20, 2004 2:59 AM
TREVOR wrote:I can't wait to see this thing actualy in motion! At this point just get the cables from the dealer

Yeah I'm going to.

On another note...going to have to wait a bit linger to get the car out We just had 95cm or about 38 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. It's crazy, the province has declared a state of emergency and I haven't been able to leave my appartment yesterday and probably not today either. My winter beater is lost in the back parking lot somewhere Good thing my car is tucked away inside <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132

Friday, February 20, 2004 6:25 AM
Sux that you cant drive your car. on another note, i will be mounting the engine in my compartment this weekend - WHOOOHOO!!

Friday, February 20, 2004 5:43 PM
I spent the entire day shoveling, and I still havent found the Sunbird, gonna have to take the ol Z71 to work tommorow...darn!
Saturday, February 21, 2004 7:55 PM
The 2000 j-bodies came with the 287 transaxle. It is far from underrated. I blew mine apart while I was still running in the 15's, that's nowhere near 400+ torque. The weakness is the differential gears. I didn't bring this up on the first page to be a jerk, I was trying to save you from having to pull the tranny again and get a tow home. Your obviously set on trusting this tranny, so good luck, can't wait to see the car in action.
<br>

2000 Z
Sunday, February 22, 2004 5:00 AM
Well we'll see what happens with the tranny. There are a few options I have really, I have a spare 282 tranny here. A new 6-speed tranny is also in the works for the l67 engines so if I don't have much luck with these I may go that route. When I started this project I knew I was going to break things and I am still expecting to break things. That is part of doing something that hasen't been done before. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Sunday, February 22, 2004 7:25 AM
nice job looks GREAT (What kind of trans are you puting in it) Hope it goes well
Sunday, February 22, 2004 9:43 AM
Does anybody know the difference in weight between the two engines?

I was wondering how much more of a load the fron suspension is going to have to handle.

Sunday, February 22, 2004 3:44 PM
He posted earliler that it's about 200lbs heavier.
Saturday, February 28, 2004 6:32 AM
Update...

We got the new intake made up for the car. It looks sweet. We used a Ractive wai from a 2002 F150. We cut out the hole that is used for the windsheild washer bottle and made a metal plate with 3" exhaust tubing welded through it on an angle and spot welded that plate to the car. On the underside of the plate we cut 1 inch slots in the exhaust pipe and bended them outwards and welded them in so that we could weld on a bracket that came with the intake kit. With some paint it will look like part of the body. The intake comes off the TB and goes down to the new plate, the filter attaches to the underside of the plate putting it just in front of the drivers side wheel.

The throtle cable came in yesterday and I got that hooked up. We are using the throtle cable from a 3800. We had to play around with it a little bit though. When I hooked it up it would not allow the TB to close all the way. A little bit of trimming on the pedal side fixed that up though.

The clutch cables still have not shown up. They are stuck in the US somewhere GM is telling me that they should be in next week. So it's back to the waiting game.

I ordered my exhaust yesterday too. I am going with 3" pipe from the engine back to a resonator then 2.5" pipe back to two 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. I am also putting a cut-out in front of the resonator so that I can run straight exhaust at the track.
<br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Re: 3800 SC Install...(NEED HELP)
Tuesday, March 02, 2004 4:37 PM
Looking for input from anyone concerning electrical system.

We are having some problems getting the gauge cluster to work in my car. The gauge cluster has a wiring harness plugged into it to control speedo, tach, gas, and temp gauges. The problem is only the gas and speedo work and every idiot light is on when the car is running and they won't go out, I have no tach or temp gauge. It is like it is not seeing the signal to let the cluster know the engine is running so it never turns the idiots lights out and the gauges don't work.

What we have done...

Both powers and grounds to the cluster are fine. All sensor wires to the cluster are fine. We did find one wire that comes out of the cluster that is not hooked up to the PCM anymore (it also goes to the OBD2 diagnostic port, ABS computer, air bag computer and then to the cluster). This wire on my old PCM came out of the number 9 pin but the number 9 pin in the new PCM is empty. So we figure this must be our problem, we went and took a look at another 98 z24 and tested that wire to see what it does. Well it reads 3.74V and a pulse width of .5milliseconds. It remains constant regardless of if the car is running or just in the key on position...WTF. It can't be that wire, it does't really do anything. We're kind of at a loss right now as to what could be causing this. The other thing is we can hook our scanner up to the OBD2 port and we get full data, so it's not a problem with the sensors or the signal for them.

Anyone's input would be great
Thanks

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, March 02, 2004 4:54 PM
I cannot wait man! <br>

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:00 AM
Update....

Well the shifter cables came in and we got them installed in the car. Then we come to find out that they attach to the shifter assembly in the car differently. I thought that they would but never really thought much of it. So yesterday we had to order a whole new shifter assembly from a 2000 cavy, it should be in sometime today.

We took a break from the gauge cluster problems to work on some of the codes that the PCM is throwing. The first was an EVAP code. We traced the wires and found out that a wire coming from the PCM was not hooked up for the EVAP system. We corrected that and that code is now gone. It is still throwing a code for the A/C relay and a low oil circiut, both of which are not a big deal as neither is being used in the setup and they shouldn't throw the check engine light in the dash, if they do we're pretty sure that if we just ground the proper wires that those codes will go. The only other code that it is throwing is for the torque converter, which should of been removed from the PCM when it was reprogrammed. I am going to have to comtact DHP to see why this code is come up. I hope I don't have to send the PCM back for them to do this as it was suppose to be done in the first place.

We are waiting for a call from another tech today about the gauge problems that we are having so hopefully we will get that figured out soon too. Were getting close to everything be done but I think this is going to be the hardest part of the swap, getting all the little bugs worked out.

Here are some new pics that I took yesterday of the car yesterday...

Here is what the engine looks like under the hood now, I still have a lot of "cleaning up" to do but everything is in it's place.

New intake pics, notice the new location of the fuse box...

The new intake plate that was welded onto the car. With some paint it should look like part of the car...

Here are some pics of the underside of the plate...

Here is a pic of the new nitrous bracket...

With a little bit of paint, cleaning and tiddying of all the wires it should be ready for the show scene.
<br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Thursday, March 04, 2004 9:11 AM
wow.....thats awesome
Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:00 AM
Could your gauge problem have anything to do with an incompatible bcm? I think the problem might be that the car that your PCM came from had a BCM that controlled the gauges. That could be why your having problems with certain things. You may need to find a BCM and wire that into your ride. I may be totally off here but it's my best guess. I would deffinetly like to know what fixes the problem for you though since I'm researching a similar swap.
<br>

What's a Z-24? It's like a Z-28, only 4 less.
Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:17 AM
Bammax wrote:Could your gauge problem have anything to do with an incompatible bcm? I think the problem might be that the car that your PCM came from had a BCM that controlled the gauges. That could be why your having problems with certain things. You may need to find a BCM and wire that into your ride. I may be totally off here but it's my best guess. I would deffinetly like to know what fixes the problem for you though since I'm researching a similar swap.

The problem is that our clusters have a processor in them that controls all of the gauges. In the 2.4L PCM all of the information is carried on the UART data line. With the 3800 PCM it uses two wires to communicate with the cluster, one is the UART data line and this allows the speedo to work (which does work on my cluster). The other wire communicates all the other info to the processor in the cluster. The processor in my cluster will not read this information and that is why the other gauges don't work. We are going to take the cluster apart this afternoon and see if we can remove the processor and hard wire all of the gauges, if not then we are going to just swap in a cluster from a GTP. <br>

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search