Interest in Team Green 2.2 Coil Conversion for the ld9 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interest in Team Green 2.2 Coil Conversion for the ld9
Monday, January 15, 2007 4:37 PM
Brian (SpeedRacerZ) and i were talking today about possibly offering the 2.2 coil conversion with msd coils. Everything would come prewired and ready to bolt in. We are unsure if we would be including plug wires or not as some people may need different wires then others.

The biggest reason for doing this swap is it allows the use of higher output coils at a decent price. From my understanding there are NO coils availible to replace the stock 2.4 coils

Please provide any feedback on this or any questions regarding it. Also see this post for more information.

Click here for pictures and info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 15, 2007 4:40 PM

Re: Interest in Team Green 2.2 Coil Conversion for the ld9
Monday, January 15, 2007 5:08 PM
I would be interested.

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Monday, January 15, 2007 5:28 PM
What are the benifits of doing this mod? Would the stock spark plugs still work? Will this effect HPT softwear's ability to control spark, timming, ect? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I haven't heard much about spark stuff on the LD9.

I think I would be interested. If I followed you correctly then your saying this will cost $30-$40, b/c an adapter is 60 or so bucks.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, January 15, 2007 5:52 PM
TEAM GREEN

IMO its one of the better mods we have done to mine and the drag car.

Brain's and Tom's Job in this conversion is AWSOME, love it, hell i eaven get better gas milage.

but now it just sounds like im show-boating...

LOL

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:01 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:What are the benifits of doing this mod? Would the stock spark plugs still work? Will this effect HPT softwear's ability to control spark, timming, ect? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I haven't heard much about spark stuff on the LD9.

I think I would be interested. If I followed you correctly then your saying this will cost $30-$40, b/c an adapter is 60 or so bucks.

Benefits are hotter stronger spark esp. when msd coils are used, easier starting in all temps, easy upgradibility when it comes to better plug wires vs our only choice which is the RK Boots and Springs. Stock plugs will still work. Everything will work like stock with the benefit of a stronger ignition. So using HPT will not be effected.

As far as price. When i did my setup i wanted it done for as inexpensive as possible as i needed a new coil pack housing and this was cheaper. IF we do make these we will be using BRAND NEW coils and plug wires (maybe). For my setup i went to the junkyard and got my parts as it was the cheapest way. The biggest downside is the fact the coils would be the most expensive part but by using MSD coils the gain will be a lot more. Everythign would come ready to go in your car and should take about 20 mins to install. It would require removing your idi cover, pulling the coil pack housing plugging in the harness from the 2.4 icm to the 2.2 icm. installing plug wires and bolting the coil pack housing down. IF we release this it would have detailed instructions with pictures which would make it painless as possible.

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:01 PM
And as you can tell from my pictures it looks close to stock.

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:21 PM
I have been working for some time on some higher power coils that fit in the factory set-up. Supposely GM has some. I have been working with inside sources to get part numbers, but having a hard time.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:26 PM
Yeah i figure why pay an overpriced dealer cost when you can do this for cheap!

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:27 PM
nice to see my discovery taking off.

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:28 PM
I would be interested. But I would like to know how much all this would cost with wires and MSD coils.

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:35 PM
we are still working on a price... one of us will post up when we figure it out.. we just want to see the interest in it... What kind of price is everyone thinking would be reasonable

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:36 PM
when u get a price let me kno im definatly in

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Monday, January 15, 2007 6:38 PM
Wrench Monkey wrote:Yeah i figure why pay an overpriced dealer cost when you can do this for cheap!

I understand. For me I would rather have the stock like coils and look. I will probably never get the part number to these better coils from GM, but that is ok. I do not have the need for anything better than what I'm running. Mine does the job. It is good to see someone put this together in a ready to go kit.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:46 PM
50-60 bucks sound decent?

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Monday, January 15, 2007 6:48 PM
TwistedMotorsports wrote:nice to see my discovery taking off.

Thanks for all the info! We are just trying to offer and affordable ignition upgrade for those who may not have the time or knowledge to do this on their own.

John Higgins wrote:I understand. For me I would rather have the stock like coils and look. I will probably never get the part number to these better coils from GM, but that is ok. I do not have the need for anything better than what I'm running. Mine does the job. It is good to see someone put this together in a ready to go kit.

Completely understandable. I hope you the best of luck finding those coils as that would be awesome to have a completely hidden High Output ign system.

I think i can speak for Team Green by sayin we like to help people out with modding their Jbody and this one more thing that can help

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:48 PM
I would reccomend buying them used guys and converting them, the junk yards will only charge about 20$ for a set, I know my local yard will give me them for 10$ all day with wires. Dont buy new it will kill you, or i would also offer the MSD set up. Do you have an idea on price? I am planning on doing the swap with MSD but probably getting it going with the 2.2 ones since i have a parts car.

The people of the JBO for the most part do not like the high prices, most of us are young and trust me you do not want to get stuck with a product with high overhead. Used would be great and if it is affordable (under 100$) you will sell tons. I think every 2.4 owner dislikes the DIS for many reasons and would switch if you could get it at that price.

Get going on it and get some potential prices, nothing set in stone just to give an idea.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Monday, January 15, 2007 6:49 PM
BOO2point4STED wrote:50-60 bucks sound decent?

Considering the MSD coils are more then that i dont think that would be possible... but like i said in the first post we want people to have BRAND NEW coils so that there are no problems.

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:51 PM
Misnblu, I thought you had more class than this... My car was the original Guinea Pig as posted on TwistedMotorsports.net... I'm going as far as saying you stole the article from Twisted Motorsports Incorporated!

Dude, this is so NOT cool... Way to NOT come up with anything on your own, and only to STEAL it from another site. Like I said; Classy... I thought j-body guys stuck together... I've lost any respect I had for you Misnblu.

Truly Disappointed...

Ğrea

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Drea... i really hope thats not the case

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:04 PM
got one here

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:13 PM
i'd be interested...

STUFF FOR SALE... Please click here and see more info...

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:16 PM
Well, I have the spark plug wires, stock 2.2 coil packs with MSD Interface modules. What I really need is the 2.2 ICM and the wiring harness to connect it to my 2.4 ICM

MSD coils from Summit - $45.88 each
Accel coils from Summt - $35.95 each

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Monday, January 15, 2007 7:30 PM
This has my attention!

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:30 PM
Chris Fontana wrote:I would reccomend buying them used guys and converting them, the junk yards will only charge about 20$ for a set, I know my local yard will give me them for 10$ all day with wires. Dont buy new it will kill you, or i would also offer the MSD set up. Do you have an idea on price? I am planning on doing the swap with MSD but probably getting it going with the 2.2 ones since i have a parts car.

The people of the JBO for the most part do not like the high prices, most of us are young and trust me you do not want to get stuck with a product with high overhead. Used would be great and if it is affordable (under 100$) you will sell tons. I think every 2.4 owner dislikes the DIS for many reasons and would switch if you could get it at that price.

Get going on it and get some potential prices, nothing set in stone just to give an idea.

I couldnt agree more.

Monday, January 15, 2007 7:36 PM
Well looking at local parts stores we could get brand new oem replacement coils for 22 a piece.... which is cheaper then the performance coils but will not perform as well as performance coils but will work great

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search