some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 10 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:06 AM
You know...... I dont know WTF that's about, but I really dont believe that we're needing your negativity in this thread.

Furthermore, I'm going to make some requests. A) Stop asking everyone for pics. I dont even sign onto Yahoo! messanger anymore because it prevents you from sending me IM's in the middle of the night when i'm not here asking for 'updated pics'. If you want to see a 3400 swap, at this point i'm going to tell you to do your own. Along with that, please stop trying to tell people and offer information about what you do not know. I get sick of seeing you post and say what will work and what will not work, when you really dont even have a clue. You've looked at some electrical diagrams and simply taken a guess. While that may be a good method, it's not necessarily true. Example...... it was passed around that the tach probably wont work since it's for a 4cyl and you're gonna be running a 6. I think Joe has shown us differently.

Please, all I ask is that you do your own swap. Do better than any of the rest of us, then offer information. And hell... improvements on how it can be done better.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:06 PM
geez it sounds like a freaking crime that i ask to see other peoples swap and really i dont think there is a dam problem with that so jason get off your high horse and start being nice for once instead of being a total prick about it.

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:00 PM
First of all kustom J I dont have any Idea what your talking about . Second of all Shooff is right, you wouldnt believe how many requests I get in my email for pictures. I just dont have the time to send everyone some. If I get them posted on here it will be easier. They are on page (9)

Shooff I used the exhaust pipe from the gam with the converter on it. The flange bolted up but the pipe is 2 1/4 the cav is 2" the little flange that sticks out to hold the gasket had to be ground off. I want to eventually get all 2 1/4 . The gam has a flex joint just before the manifold and there is no clearance issues at all there.

I still havent figured out whats wrong with my gas guage. It worked fine before it had the PCM flashed. If I get in the scanner I get a reading in the PCM for it but the inst cluster isnt getting the signal.

Oh yeah and another thing the class 2 serial data problem that I had is still there. It still shows in the scanner but it wont turn on the engine light. Im going to call the dealer to see what exactly he did.

Do you have a web site for that dog bone? I need to get that fixed.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:55 AM
joe malechowski wrote:First of all kustom J I dont have any Idea what your talking about . Second of all Shooff is right, you wouldnt believe how many requests I get in my email for pictures. I just dont have the time to send everyone some. If I get them posted on here it will be easier. They are on page (9)

Shooff I used the exhaust pipe from the gam with the converter on it. The flange bolted up but the pipe is 2 1/4 the cav is 2" the little flange that sticks out to hold the gasket had to be ground off. I want to eventually get all 2 1/4 . The gam has a flex joint just before the manifold and there is no clearance issues at all there.

I still havent figured out whats wrong with my gas guage. It worked fine before it had the PCM flashed. If I get in the scanner I get a reading in the PCM for it but the inst cluster isnt getting the signal.

Oh yeah and another thing the class 2 serial data problem that I had is still there. It still shows in the scanner but it wont turn on the engine light. Im going to call the dealer to see what exactly he did.

Do you have a web site for that dog bone? I need to get that fixed.

That's where I didnt go. I didnt have the downpipe off of the GA. That's why I have 2.5" pipe coming directly off the manifold.

The scanner shows that there's a fuel level, but the guage doesnt? Hmm.... that's weird. Especially since everything else works. That's really weird. That and the serial data is the only problems you have? No issues with emmissions control equpiment or anything?

For the dogbone, its simple.
www.carcustoms.net

Also, there's often an ad at the bottom of the page you're viewing. You can click on that. Karo's a good dude, you wont be disappointed.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:02 PM
Thanks for your help, Ill give that dogbone a look.

Friday, August 11, 2006 7:58 PM
Taking her back to the dealer tomorrow for the gas guage. Going to have it reflashed.
Cheap ass me made a torque mount bone. I cut it in half length wise, took the cav one apart by drilling out the 2 spot welds on the big end, took out the rubber , flipped it around so the hole is closer to the front of the mount (less movement). then I shortened it from 4 3/4 originally to 4 1/4 center to center then rewelded it. I wrapped each end in a wet rag so I didnt burn up the rubber. It works great, no vibrations at all and the alt doesnt hit the dryer any more.
My first Idea was to take 2 bones and cut them in half then use the small ends by welding them together. I did that and It vibrated the steering wheel at a stop sign so bad, it sucked. Any way it didnt work good enough for me.
The other way works like a dream ,no hitting,no vibration and it didnt cost me anything.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:39 AM
Best of all. It looks like the car came with it.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:47 AM
No good on the pcm reflash. We tried another gam vin with no luck. I had them then try an 05 impala vin from their lot. The guage worked then but when I drove off the tranny slipped until the rpms hit 3000. I think the tranny is different. So it looks like I have to get a chevy vin, since the original was an 02 malibu with the 3.1 and then an impala with a 3.4. So Im off to search for a vin for a chevy something, with the same engine, tranny, options and Pcm.
I would recommend that If your doing the swap like Im doing it , Pick a chevy for the chevy and a pontiac for the pontiac (for you sunfire guys)

This will be fun to find a good vin. Wish me luck.

Yeah it does look like it comes factory in there, thats what Im shootin for. I want it to look and function like it was a factory option. Lets see who I can fool with that one.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:10 AM
I have hit a road block. The 01 gam gt trans that Im using appears to be used only in 01 and in only the gam gt. Are any of the other trannys like the 4t60e, 65e close like the 4t40 and 45 are. what Im asking is If I get a tranny out of an 01 venture which is the same H.O. 3.4 will the axles pop in, or they a different size. And can I just change the side cover, put the side cover on it from the cav.

What a headache, all over a stupid gas guage. Do you know of any other alternative?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:24 AM
will a sunfire cluster fit in a cav dash? I think that might work if it will fit.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:14 PM
Why dont you just use the 2.2 transmission? Other than that you can probably use the 4t65-e. It'll have the same bellhousing pattern. But i'm not sure on the ability of the axles to fit.

The sunfire cluster is a tad bit wider than the Cav's. At least in 95-99. I'm not exactly sure about the 00+

Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:25 PM
Quote:

What a headache, all over a stupid gas guage. Do you know of any other alternative?

That's the hard part. I was thinking that possibly the sending unit in the donor car operates with different ohms than the one in the J-body does. But, you said it registers in the PCM if you hook the Tech 2 to it. You sure it shows the correct reading with the tech 2? Maybe try it, then fill the tank and see what happens.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:12 PM
Try getting the fuel sender from the donor car, some are compateible with the j-body fuel tank. For example, the Grand Prix GTP one is fits, you just need to alter the lines a bit. Im not saying you need to use this, im just using that as an example.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:33 PM
I tried that with the sender. Actually last week at work I had to install a fuel pump unit in a gam. i checked the resistance full and empty. Its the same as the cav.
0 ohms empty and a little over 400 full. I could see if the diff was kohms but its not. It appears to be the clusters inability to decipher the pontiac signal from the pcm. Thats why I was asking about the sunfire cluster. Monday I think im going to order a used fire gt cluster and try it and see if everything works. If it does Ill figure out someway to make it fit. Maybe swap the guts and face with the cav shell.

Am I the only one that has had this problem with the swap or has no one tried to do a factory looking , functioning swap?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:04 PM
the cav and sunfire clusters are direct swaps in terms of size. If you get the same year cluster as yours, its a direct plug in aswell.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:02 PM
that will be great if that fixes the problem, I guess this is one of those cases where I wont know unless I try it. Thanks for the info Guys, Ill let you know if It works. I wish I would of did a sunfire at this point. Or picked a diff engine tranny combo.
I'll get this thing to work one way or another.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:42 PM
Quote:

Am I the only one that has had this problem with the swap or has no one tried to do a factory looking , functioning swap?

My factory gauges are non functional. I dont even have the stock ECU in there. Actually..... apparently, the fuel gauge on the 95-99 car will operate and show you the fuel level, without being commanded by the ECU to do so. Because that's the only gauge that I have that works.

I was going to go with an autometer setup.

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:12 PM
Well the local salvage yard had a cluster but they wanted 65 bucks. I found one on ebay for 35 with shipping but I gotta wait for it. Im still waiting for my damn wheels too. There are good buys on ebay but it takes too long to get the stuff.

Shooff why didnt you go with the oem cluster? Is it because some one told you the tach wouldnt work?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:30 AM
Due to the situation revolving around the swap on my car, the factory ECM has been lost. And will never return. The factory engine harness is quite hacked up as well. So I feel it would be better on myself to just do a custom cluster.

Plus I feel that a 160mph speedometer would be more correct anyways. Top of the gearing is ~158mph.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:08 PM
Hundred and what? What tranny are you using? I know its a stick, Im not too farmiliar with the fwd sticks. I 've put a couple of clutches in but thats as far as I got.
My torque mount is still givin me grief. Some times it hits in reverse, not all the time. I have to take my fans out and do some grinding on the fan motor housing, not only for that reason but, The lower hose is too crammed and Im afraid its going to wear a hole in it.
You said that you were using no flex joint on the exhaust, doesnt the manifold have a flat flange that takes a ring gasket. You know what might have worked would be a manifold off of a 2nd gen Z with a 3.1. They have the bell flange that will allow the engine movement. And Im pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern. Better yet would be a set of headders with the bell flange. I dont know if you can buy them any where or not.
Are there any aftermarket pcm programmers to get more horsies out of the 3.4. Turbo would be nice but where. I saw a remote turbo setup on here but I wasnt impressed at all. Pluss he said that the boost isnt as good as a close mount. All that work and money for the wine and pshht of the dump valve. At least It sounds good. Ill bet I can stuff one in the down pipe at the firewall. Look at the pics and see what you think.
The turbo would need fancy PCm programming wouldnt it?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:23 AM
If you calculate 5th gear on the 2.2 Isuzu tranny at 6250rpm (rev limit) it should work out to roughly 158mph. Considering the stock size tire and all (I believe that's 24"). I was bored one day a while back and came to figuring that.

I dont think the 2nd Gen 660 manifold will fit on the 3rd gen motor. Might wanna check out Domesticcrew.com for that. As for some PCM programming, you'll want to get ahold of Mike at Milzy Motorsports. I'm pretty sure that's MilzyMotorsports.com

I think DHP also does PCM's.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:32 PM
I got my wheels on today, I tried to mount them myself with no luck. Had to pay 17 bucks a piece to get them done. I think I need a little drop now.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:40 PM
Are the drop springs that are on ebay any good. Maybe Im missing something but I thought I saw them on That car customs site that was recommended for the dog bone and Im pretty sure they were a considerable amount more than ebay.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:27 AM
Just like everything else.... you get what you pay for.

In addition, you should probably pay real close attention to the ammount of drop that you put into it. I dont know if you've been under the car yet at all. But notice how much lower the oil pan is than it was on the 2.2. 1-2 inches lower.

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:03 PM
I got the sunfire cluster today, No good. Gas guage still doesnt work. I think Im going to start looking for a compatable tranny. I need a tranny that came out of a chevy with a 3.4 HO and takes the same inside axle joints as the grand am. Im going to do some research into the chevy venture vans , They have the H.O. 3.4 , We'll see. If any one needs a cluster for a sunfire with tach let me know. It is interchangeable with the cav dash, It just has red letters.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search