Boosted 2200 Build - Page 13 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Monday, September 16, 2013 10:07 AM
Please tell me that is a 4T40E trans, and if so. I would like to help with the trans tune.

Added:

Went back and read everything. PRND321 FTW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 16, 2013 10:40 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:59 PM
MD: Yes it is a 4t40e. Im sure you did see in the build, but it was entirely built and upgraded with the best parts. Engineered Perforamnce LSD, Raybestos Blue clutches, Force motor solenoid, 2750 stahl converter, etc. I took the trans apart piece by piece and replaced it with a level 10 performance rebuild kit.

Update time guys:
THE MOTOR FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fired the motor for the first time. The purpose of the start up was to make sure everything was wired properly, MSD, fuel pumps were plumbed and everything like that. The motor only ran for about 10 seconds max but it sounded strong. Granted the rockers need to be adjusted still, but that is being done this weekend. I was extremely happy to hear it start on the first try. More to come! Sorry for the crappy quality on the video.

Cavalier startup

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:47 AM
Trust me. A tune will make the trans feel completely different...even more so with those parts.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, September 20, 2013 6:49 AM
Congrats on getting the motor to fire - I know how much work you've put into this and hearing your hard work turn over and run just quadruples the motivation instantly.

I guess you'll have a heck of a finished project to roll out into the sunlight next spring?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, September 20, 2013 7:41 AM
That valve cover spacer look really nice!
Friday, September 20, 2013 9:47 AM
Thanks guys. Once the motor fired all the setbacks and time was worth it. Car sounds awesome to me. I couldn't be happier. Adjusting the rockers this weekend so expect more videos as well. Im hoping to get the car out a few times this year with the cool air but next spring will be the cars first full season as a turbo. I cant wait. I definitely do not want to rush anything at this stage so like the entire build I will take my time and do it right. I know the car will benefit from it later on

As far as the valve cover goes, I'm hoping I wont need a spacer, and i'm still waiting on for the call that my valve cover is finished as I had some things done to it to make it stand out

Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:46 AM
Good to hear it fired right up Vinny!. I can't seem to access the video though...... Can't wait to organize the garage to get started on some mock up work for the fall/winter season to keep me busy. Just moved 1000 miles into a tiny house so i have some work ahead of me. Always looking forward to your updates!!
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:14 PM
Update Time.
I know its been a few weeks so here's the latest news. I have gotten more done on the car but I feel i come across a new problem every weekend. One major problem was no oil pressure. That's right, none. Long story short the oil pump drive rod wasn't spinning, but that problem was solved but in the process required the dropping of the pan, downpipe, brace, intake, distributor hold down and all that. new gasket, and new oil went in and the oil pressure gauge shot up to around 70 psi at idle.

Another problem that came up was i could not get the roller rockers to align properly. The Harland Sharp rockers I had bought were not self aligning, so I purchased a set of Comp Cams narrow body lifters that are self aligning and that problem was solved.

I did happen to fabricate up a 3 inch exhaust as well as an open dump for the waste gate. There will be pictures coming this weekend, but the dump was routed out the front fender

The problem I am at now is the valve cover was finished, and looks absolutely amazing, but it hits the roller rockers. When the machine work was done, the rocker stud mounts were cut down flush, and the stock "groove" was removed. The cover hits the poly locks. I will try to modify the cover to get it to fit, but I would like to try and avoid a spacer but i will do whatever works. I want to avoid moving the regulator and going with a different style because mine is rail mounted.

If anyone has pictures of their modified valve covers, can you please post them so i can get an idea of how much needs to be grounded down. I know howell had a link, but that seems to be long gone. Any help is appreciated. Once the cover is good to go, the car should be pretty much ready for tune, but I don't want to say anything because problems do come up.

Lots of pictures to come in a few days. Thanks for all the help.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:34 PM
Well I grinded the cover out and got it to fit right, took a long time but I was relieved to have it button up. I told everyone I had something different with the cover done and I have a picture for everyone to see. While it looks like it was just polished, theres more to it. All the bosses were machined out and refilled and then grounded down and polished to a mirror finish. It looks flawless and I feel it has a sleeker look. Comments are welcome.

More to come

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:27 AM
Looks great.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:05 AM
Picture update! I also forgot to mention that I purchased the DEI turbo blanket kit. The blanket keeps heat down dramatically off the turbo. The car is pretty much complete, although there are a few little odds and ends I have to complete before tune. More to come.

Exhaust and dump all welded up:

Dumped!: (Not sure if I will cut it down closer to the bumper or leave it for now)

Sunday, October 13, 2013 12:38 PM
Is your exhaust going to stop right in the tunnel under the car? I tried that with a temp setup and it was very annoying in the cabin of the car. Drone. I ended up doing an elbow to dump it out the passenger side behind the seat(ish). That helped immensely.

I REALLY like that WG Dump Idea, but you should cut the tube to fit the bumper profile and then get one of those metal circles to surround it so you dont melt the plastic. Make it look molded into place there and that will be tits!

Im getting excited to see this thing on the road!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:29 PM
Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:33 PM
Matt,
I was thinking about that for the exhaust. I wanted a mid car exit but I thought about drone while driving. I can always add to it in the future if I feel the need too. As far as the dump goes, I looked for those rings, but only found them in 3inch and bigger. I think it would look sick with one of those on the bumper too. I thought about running an adapter from 1.5 to 3 and using one of those rings, but i wasnt sure about it.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:59 AM
a 3" dump would be pretty awesome I think. To be fair i have only seen them in a large size on big power LS cars. It would probably be cheaper to size it up at the very end to 3" than it would be to have a custom circle made.

If you dump the exhaust out the side mid-car the drone isnt too bad. Having the straight tube in the center of the car though? lol it made it hard to breathe in my car and my resonator is a tad longer.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:09 PM
I came across a nice piece of polished aluminum that I will cut out and make a shield tomorrow. I designed a quick drawing in autocad to use as a template so it shouldnt be that difficult. As far as the exhaust goes, it only involves the cat. For now its staying how it is. I want the car to be pretty loud, but I will see how it is and can always add to it in the future. I was debating about the mandrel bent exhaust system piping kit but ive heard good and bad reviews on it.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:17 PM
Is this who bought the VC spacer off me?
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:25 PM
Yes, Thank you again for it. Grinding the old cover didnt work out.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:00 PM
Vinny,

I may have missed it, but what turbo did you end up using?
Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:14 AM
I ended up going with a Garrett Super 60-1. The specs are listed below.

- T04S
- Housing flow: 61 lbs/min 781cfm
- .70 A/R housing
- 60-1 TRIM wheel

Turbine Specs
- T3
- .48 A/R housing
- High Flow 76 Trim Stage3 wheel

- Oil Lubricated Center Section.
- 360 Degree Thrust Bearing
- For external wastegate
- Can support up to 525 WHP

When I had the set-up made, I had RD Fabs get the turbo to make everything fit properly. Unfortunately, the I had to move around the wastegate because it was too far forward and hit the radiator. I hope to have some more updates this weekend.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:02 PM
Well its time for another update. I received the valve cover spacer today and it solved my problem and fit perfectly. I also received so more Russell hose ends for the Air/Oil Separator and got that all plumbed up. I finally put the polished cover on, but I have yet to receive the ARP hardware for the cover. Because of the spacer, the valve cover hit the fitting for the fuel pressure regulator gauge so I had to take that off, and I plan to move it somewhere else. Pics below.

I still have to finalize the heat shield on the bumper for the wastegate dump. I plan to hopefully get the car driving this weekend, not getting on it, leaving it in drive just to get everything moving. More to come.

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:49 PM
Nice turbo choice man, and the pictures are great. Everything looks very clean and seems to have pretty good access for the things you may need to get to. Can't wait to hear how it sounds man. Hope the rest goes together pretty smoothly.
Monday, October 28, 2013 10:39 AM
Glad the spacer worked out for you.
I would also advise against those zip ties on your plug wires.
They will melt with the heat from the manifold.
I guarantee it, otherwise, looks amazing!
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:14 PM
Here is the update everyones been waiting for, While some people may have seen it, but the car was at Chris Miller Racing today for some tuning. I had a few bugs worked out before bringing the car there but I ran into some more while on the dyno. While no numbers were received, the car idles better and sounds smoother. I was able to hear the turbo spool, bov activate, and everything seemed good. Car shot a 2 foot flame, solid blue and actually started to burn the carpet inside the car. After i got the car home and unloaded it from the trailer I noticed the tunnel was pretty burnt up. I got some great help from Ryan on some of the issues and appreciate all the information he has given me. I have some bugs to fix before more tuning can be done, but the biggest thing for me right now is the exhaust, I cant have the exhaust shooting flames directly at the gas tank. More to come, but on to the photos.

BURN!

Black carpet lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search