Global Warming - Page 8 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Global Warming
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:52 PM on j-body.org
why isnt science Gods word? If you believe in God than science can not contradict God and God can not contradict science. If science is the study of proof of what is, and God created what is than they will both yield the same results afirming eachother.

a religious person should not be afraid of science

ie Pope John Paul II
http://www.jhu.edu/~newslett/10-25-96/News/Pope._God._science_can_coexist.html

a few snippets

Quote:

In the statement released Wednesday, the pope said new knowledge has confirmed that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is "more than a hypothesis."

Darwin's theory -117 ‹ that humankind was the product of a slow, evolutionary proces from early forms of life -117 ‹ conflicts with the literal biblical account of creation, that the world, including humans, was created in six days.

Although the pope has in the past made references to the growing scientific consensus behind evolution, his latest comments were the clearest and most comprehensive in support of Darwin's conclusions.

Quote:

"The pope's words confirm that science and faith are both gifts from God," said Italian nuclear physicist Antonino Zichichi, who often comments on theological issues. "No scientific discovery has ever led man to conclude that God doesn't exist. ''

Quote:

Throughout his papacy, John Paul has paid close attention to science. In 1992, at the end of 13 years of study by the Vatican, he declared that the Church was wrong to condemn the astronomer Galileo Galilei .

Galileo was condemned in 1633 for contending that the Earth was not the center of the universe, as church teaching then held.

The church accused him of heresy and forced him to renounce his beliefs.

the bible is stories that make sense to humans not literal accounts of the creation of something as complex as the universe or mankind.

------------------

KOTL-
actually abotu 3.8 billions years ago bacteria and archea formed however these are SUPER simple life forms. when i said 1.8 billions that is when COMPLEX life formed that had nuclei

regardless we pretty much agree i was just making convo pretty much.

however, i dont think the efforts with global warmign is to stop the natural progresion of the earths cycles. i always viewed it as a effort to simply reduce our contribution to it.

Creative Draft Art Media Forums

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:38 PM on j-body.org
....as I said, not trying to start an argument. By the way, I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ and the pope/catholic religion are 180 degrees from Jesus so I could care less what they think.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 3:03 PM on j-body.org
Chris Crossont wrote:....as I said, not trying to start an argument. By the way, I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ and the pope/catholic religion are 180 degrees from Jesus so I could care less what they think.

How is it 180 degrees? they just dont beleive that he has risen form the dead yet I thgouht..

You should really learn to think for yourself.

Thats all I'm gonna say.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:47 PM on j-body.org
^ word up

if you think caths and christs are 180 degrees you are EXTREMELY under educated on BOTH religions. im not trying to pick a fight or get on you or anything but that is just plain incorrect.

as was said, think FOR YOUR SELF

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:00 PM on j-body.org
The foundation of every Christian sect, including Catholism. Catholics are Christian, like it or not. Protestants are fractures from the Catholic church, like it or not.

If you disagree with anything hereafter, you must question if you are indeed Christian. This is the Nicene Creed, and is believed by ALL Christians, regardless of their connection (or lack there of) to the Catholic church.

Quote:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, light from light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I can't believe that such a simple concept required me to use my last post of the month.

PAX

PS: Remember the the word "Catholic" means universal. At the time this was written (about 400AD) the was only one Christian church and no such thing as a sect called "catholic". Please try not to confuse the terms.

If you like the more polictically correct "Appostle's Creed" then that is acceptable in Christianity. So I guess I should say, if you don't believe in one of these two pieces then you must seriously consider if you really are Christian or not.

Quote:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell. [See Calvin]

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

PAX again
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:56 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

however, i dont think the efforts with global warmign is to stop the natural progresion of the earths cycles. i always viewed it as a effort to simply reduce our

This i disageree with. The reason we're going after it in all earnest is because in the abstract, we're comfortable where we are and the way things are and have been, the balance of power suits us.

Now, this warming trend, it has the potential to shift the growing season to favor Canada, europe and Siberia, and turn the Midwest into a desert--thus rendering the U.S. dependent on imports for food. Further, it would tip the balance of power out of the U.S.'s hands. Lastly, as Cable pointed out, any low-lying areas could potential drown--like Florida. It also has the potential for increasing storms.

In the general abstract, we're not doing it to lessen our impact, we're doing it because we're comfortable, and afraid of change. I mean, imagine, for a minute, if Florida was drowned and spring break had to happen off cape cod?

As such, we're doing it in a hope that it won't happen--at least in our personal lifetime.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:36 AM on j-body.org
obviously we dont want it to change. but its a bit off to think that scientists talking about global warming are actually thinking we are even ATTEMPTING to stop global warming. thats not what they are proposing, thinking or doign research on.

the efforts are simply to slow global warming to its natural strength. since there is nothing more than that that we can do. we should at least do that and then adapt to the changing earth according.

there is nothing wrong with that. we cant stop the natural evolution of the earth. currently the earth is warming with or without our presense.

we like earths current climate we dont want it to change. earth is changing wether we like it or not. however humans ARE adding substances to the earth and atmosphere that can speed this process up.

since we can not control the earth evolving, but yet we enjoy earths current climate, we therefore should logically attempt to eliminate any practices that may speed earths natural evolutionary warming trend.

thats all the hub ub about global warming is, unless your talking with folks or reading from media who dont understand the concept in depth. those people will tend to think the research abo global warming is to STOP the earth from warming. and that is incorrect.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:14 AM on j-body.org
"You should really learn to think for yourself"

I guess once I align myself with how the majority of people think then I guess that would mean I am then thinking for myself. Odd concept. Kind of like wanting to be different and going out and getting pierced and tattooed so I can look like A LOT of other people.

That is OK....I'll stick with the truth but you guys can go on. Do not let me spoil the fun.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:16 AM on j-body.org
"word up

if you think caths and christs are 180 degrees you are EXTREMELY under educated on BOTH religions. im not trying to pick a fight or get on you or anything but that is just plain incorrect.

as was said, think FOR YOUR SELF"

Word down

Yes I do and I was a catholic for 30 years before learning the truth. Think what others think so you can still call yourself a free thinker.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:58 AM on j-body.org
Nathan, we're talking about people and scientists that every time a hurricane take out a bunch of people living on a river delta or barrier islands they try to find ways to stop or reduce the intensity of hurricanes.

On the individual level, people know they can't stop the earth, it's too powerful. On the massive scale of society at large, we think of ourselves as the best specie earth has to offer when really we're just talking meat.

The only issue is how much we are contributing to it, and how far can we *really* take things. I seriously doubt if we star polluting en masse we'll kill off all life on the planet. No, more than likely it will kill off a few of the less-hardy species, then us, then slowly everything will go back to normal. After millions of years Archaeologists from the moon of Grim Nalthak will be doing archaology owkr here and will find fossils of what can only be described as a 2-legged hairless monkey in a period where the earth experiened a major climate shif that they can't explain.

After all, the biggest polluter in the state of Washington is Mt. St. Helens, and the greenies at the EPA don't want to risk becoming Flying Chutney trying to slap an injunction on her .

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:02 PM on j-body.org
honestly, it doesnt matter how much or how little we are speeding up the process. we ARE polluting. we dont NEED to pollute. so we shouldnt. its as simple as that.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:37 PM on j-body.org
Chris Crossont wrote:"You should really learn to think for yourself"

I guess once I align myself with how the majority of people think then I guess that would mean I am then thinking for myself. Odd concept.
Can't say I agree with everything he thinks - but he definitely has a point here...

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:43 PM on j-body.org
who said thinking for yourself was aligning yourself with the masses?

it may or may not be. it may very well be that, your own free thought may happen to end up being very similar to many others, or maybe it will be different.

just because your thoughts are similar to others does not mean you didnt think of them yourself.

pretty simple concept

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:42 PM on j-body.org
And yet if you have an unpopular view in some circles - people will tell you to "think for yourself" etc etc. Many times the popular view is popular manly because most just agree with what a person or a few people said - rather than reasoning it in their own head. I don't agree with his view that Catholic=pure evil, however I do think that he came up with that conclusion on his own. So therefore he is thinking for himself at least.

...and yes sometimes free thought may end up bringing you to the same conclusion as the popular opinion - but by the very nature of free though that is really quite rare.

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:24 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Yes I do and I was a catholic for 30 years before learning the truth. Think what others think so you can still call yourself a free thinker.

I grew up a Catholic but I've also been to Protestant churches too and I'm pretty sure that we both believe in the same Bible, the same God, and the same Jesus. Yes, some of the Catholic rituals and rules seem ridiculous, but I wouldn't consider it 180 degrees from whatever religion you are. In your mind, what relifious sect is the "all-knowing, ticket to heaven religion"? I've known plenty of Catholics that go to Church every Sunday, love Jesus and the Lord, and believe i nthe Bible... how are they evil?

Friday, September 29, 2006 3:36 PM on j-body.org
arent one of the halmarks of christianity compassion and understanding?

yet, chris seems to always be the first in these threads shooting down everyone elses beliefs and making comments on who will be saved or how is evil or bad etc...

his attitude seems to be very contradictory to what his religious teachings SHOULD be teaching him.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:31 AM on j-body.org
"I grew up a Catholic but I've also been to Protestant churches too and I'm pretty sure that we both believe in the same Bible, the same God, and the same Jesus. Yes, some of the Catholic rituals and rules seem ridiculous, but I wouldn't consider it 180 degrees from whatever religion you are. In your mind, what relifious sect is the "all-knowing, ticket to heaven religion"? I've known plenty of Catholics that go to Church every Sunday, love Jesus and the Lord, and believe i nthe Bible... how are they evil?"

Sadly, a lot of Protestant churches are caving into the modern and liberal thinking and forsaking the ancient landmarks. However, as I am neither a Catholic or a Protestant, I follow the Jesus of the Bible (King James) and a church or religion will never get you to heaven. I would say that there are thousands upon thousands of people in hell that were pretty surprised that they arrived there. Jesus is pretty clear on how to get to heaven and that is faith in his finished work on the cross. No extras are needed. All the ritual, sacrements, and other hocus-pocus are man made and defy the deity of Christ.

I am not trying to make enemies but I just tell the truth. One can be sincere in their belief but that does not make it right. If you sincerely believe that 2+2=5, does that make it a truth?

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:25 AM on j-body.org
"arent one of the halmarks of christianity compassion and understanding?

yet, chris seems to always be the first in these threads shooting down everyone elses beliefs and making comments on who will be saved or how is evil or bad etc...

his attitude seems to be very contradictory to what his religious teachings SHOULD be teaching him."

People like to think of a weakling Jesus that came preaching peace and love at all costs like some dope smoking, long haired, liberal hippie. That is the Jesus that many want but that is not the Jesus of the bible. The Jesus of the Bible came to seperate the wheat from the chaff. He came to call His own. He said the we must be born again. He ultimately came to suffer and die for our sins on the cross and then be resurrected thus defeating death. He said that we can only get to the Father and Heaven through faith in His finished work on the cross. There is no other way. Being a "good" person will not do it.

You do not have to like what I say as I am only repeating God's words. I did not make it up. If you have a problem with you, you may need to spend some time with God so that He can open your mind and heart to the truth of His perfect word. I am not here to fight with anyone or put anyone down. I only say what I say because I am commanded to do so and I care for people. It would not be too caring of me to just sit back and allow people to accept the lies of the world when I have the power to at least try to give a warning.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Saturday, September 30, 2006 2:45 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

You do not have to like what I say as I am only repeating God's words. I did not make it up. If you have a problem with you, you may need to spend some time with God so that He can open your mind and heart to the truth of His perfect word. I am not here to fight with anyone or put anyone down. I only say what I say because I am commanded to do so and I care for people. It would not be too caring of me to just sit back and allow people to accept the lies of the world when I have the power to at least try to give a warning.

damn, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Jesus himself was on this board <sarcasm> Believe what you wish, but get off your high horse and stop the preaching. Despite what you think, you are the same person as everyone else on this board. You have NO IDEA who will go to Hell or Heaven... even if you will. You are just hoping and praying with all of your might that you will, but you never know for sure... if you did, you would be God yourself!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:58 PM on j-body.org
Chris Crossont wrote:People like to think of a weakling Jesus that came preaching peace and love at all costs like some dope smoking, long haired, liberal hippie. That is the Jesus that many want but that is not the Jesus of the bible. The Jesus of the Bible came to seperate the wheat from the chaff. ..... He said that we can only get to the Father and Heaven through faith in His finished work on the cross. There is no other way. Being a "good" person will not do it.

Please cite where in the Bible it says this, especially the part about seporating the wheat from the chaff. IIRC, part of the fundamental core of Christianity was forgiveness for all, not dividing "us" from "them".

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, September 30, 2006 7:18 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:
Chris Crossont wrote:People like to think of a weakling Jesus that came preaching peace and love at all costs like some dope smoking, long haired, liberal hippie. That is the Jesus that many want but that is not the Jesus of the bible. The Jesus of the Bible came to seperate the wheat from the chaff. ..... He said that we can only get to the Father and Heaven through faith in His finished work on the cross. There is no other way. Being a "good" person will not do it.

Please cite where in the Bible it says this, especially the part about seporating the wheat from the chaff. IIRC, part of the fundamental core of Christianity was forgiveness for all, not dividing "us" from "them".

bingo

jesus did not come here to immediately seperate those who will go to heaven and those who wont.

he came to earth and died on earth to forgive all humans of their sins, not vengefully condemn any and all who oppose his word.

if being in heaven is
-spending eternity with a being that vengefully condemns those who dont believe in his strict dictatorship,
-would condemn a man who is a "good person" only because he did not follow his strict word.

that would mean that god would condem buhhda, the dali llama, many of the ancient philosphers etc etc etc...

if that is the case then heaven is the last place i would like to spend eterinty.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:04 PM on j-body.org
As one of the people who has thrown this topic on a religious tangent... let's return to topic... If we want to continue to discuss this religious topic, I guess we can start a new thread

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:22 AM on j-body.org
Interesting story I read in the Chicago Tribune a while back - I managed to find a link to it. - In this northern territory, temperatures are rising, hunters are falling through ice and offices are using something they've never used before--air conditioning That is right - Air conditioners in the Artic - LOL.

Remember when people used to swear up and down how global warming was a myth? I do. You would think those people would have admited that they where wrong and just shut up by now, but they haven't. Now those same people just say that it is 100% mother nature's fault and human-kind isn't contributing AT ALL - LOL.

That is like saying your energy bills are so big ONLY because of the weather - I mean leaving every light in the house on as well as every appliance on 24/7, well that won't affect your energy bill at all since it is 100% natures fault anyways - and you can't affect that at all.

Are the natural occurances which are happening now enough to cause this global warming we are experiencing? The jury is still out on that - but I'm gonna say "very possibly" anyways. But do you actually think we aren't making it worse? Get real. Maybe you need to go back to basic mathematics class then. By that line of thinking 100 + 7 = 100 (rather than 107). Supposed I assign the natural amount of greehouse gas release a 10,000 unit rating, and suppose then that what we are pumping out only is 1000 units. Well they do add up you know - too 11,000 units instead of 10,000. We ARE making a difference there - the question is just how much of a difference are we making? You can believe all you want that we aren't making a large enough difference to matter - but only an idiot would say we are making no difference at all.

I think the reason that people - actually believe we have nothing to contribute to this problem - has something to do with the "American Blame Credo"(well some people in all countries are like this too but its esp. common in America - hence the lawsuits etc)

1. There is ALWAYS someone to blame(occasionally something instead of someone)
2. THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
3. THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
4. There is never more than one person(or one thing) to blame. The blame is never to be shared.
5. Especially not shared with me.
6. I repeat - I contributed nothing to the problem. One person(or thing) is exclusively to blame.
7. THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.

I suppose the fact that - much of the harvested tuna are inedible due to too much mercury(the mercury we are dumping in the ocean) to be safe for human consumption - I suppose that is entirely mother nature's fault as well... [/sarcasm]

One thing that is funny though - IIRC global warming/freezing cycles have always been at least 10,000 year cycles. We have been on a cooling cycle since Jesus walked the Earth - but suddenly began rising in temp again conveniently around the industial revolution peroid(not even 2000 years later). While that doesn't PROVE anything, its kinda like walking into an alleyway and seeing one dead person with about 25 stab wounds, and another person covered in blood and holding a bloody knife. Techically seeing that doesn't PROVE they are the one who stabbed that person - but its enough evidence to make a pretty solid guess that they are.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 5:53 AM on j-body.org
"damn, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Jesus himself was on this board <sarcasm> Believe what you wish, but get off your high horse and stop the preaching. Despite what you think, you are the same person as everyone else on this board. You have NO IDEA who will go to Hell or Heaven... even if you will. You are just hoping and praying with all of your might that you will, but you never know for sure... if you did, you would be God yourself!"

No silly....I am not Jesus. I am merely believing in His promise. I DO KNOW that I will go to heaven when I die because it is not based on my efforts but His finished work on the cross. If it were up to my good works (the same goes for every other human that exists or has existed), they would not be good enough and I would go to hell the moment of my death. It is a sad position to be in but praise the Lord for the savior!

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:51 PM on j-body.org
I actually agree with bastard king. its a miracle

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search