Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 6 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:46 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Also, when a game comes out that is 50GB of uncompressed data compared to whatever the 360 has, I think the graphics of the PS3 will be slightly better.

Much like the guy said in the article, developers will develop a game that sells across all platforms. Except for exclusive PS3 titles, nothing will be 50GB because then they couldn't port and sell it on the 360.

You're looking at one year, at least, before the PS3 starts doing much.

Developers will like 50GB hard drives, but publishers won't publish anything unless they're going to make money on it. Money is made by making it for the 360 and the PS3.

The only thing I can see is if developers force 360 users to buy a HD-DVD in order to play their games. Which is a very likely possibility, but still won't be common place for a fair bit, though.

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:31 AM on j-body.org
I've got all 3 and each has it strengths and weaknesses, but having the ability to download a demo on both the 360 and PS3 console and compare I can make the choice I want. The PS3 won't take off for a few months to a year, in the meantime Blu-ray looks pretty sweet. The 360 is coming out with some killer titles this summer. Army of Two, Kayne and Lynch, etc... So if you were going to make a decision right now and your preference is for shooters the 360 is the console to have.

PS3's only good launch title IMO is Resistance. Ridge Racer and Genji are absolute crap(yes I've played both), only game I have for it right now is Resistance and that adictive Go! Sudoku(dl'd) for my wife although Lemmings plays really nice on the system so that will probably also be purchased.

Also, don't bash sixaxis till you've tried it. Motorstorm is an absolute blast just turning the controller like a steering wheel, very responsive.

Also for the last time Wii, is not nextgen. Its revolutionary because of the controls, but not nextgen, the hardware is old tech used to build a solid platform.

Also on the Folding@home, been running it for almost 3 weeks now non-stop never turning off the PS3 and the system is still rock solid when I go to play games.

If I were to go out and buy a console today it would be the 360, my second choice would be a Wii, and final would be the PS3.

360 because it looks great and has a decent library, Wii because its lots of fun and play sall GC games without fail, and PS3 last becuase of such a small library. I'm just glad I don't have to make that choice.

-Chris

Friday, April 13, 2007 7:14 PM on j-body.org
I read today a couple of things...

Nintendo is having trouble with 3rd party support, something like a 3 month waiting list for development stuff or something?

Microsoft is being accused of pricing free downloads, when the developer wants them to be free downloads.

20 GB PS3 isnt going to be sold anymore, also

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:03 PM on j-body.org
On the PC side, I just read this from Digg.com...

"NVIDIA and Capcom are teaming up to port the hit 360 game, Lost Planet, to the PC. It will take full advantage of DirectX 10 and feature Extreme High Definition (or XHD), an NVIDIA buzz word that means the game can run at a resolution of 2560x1600."

http://www.destructoid.com/nvidia-capcom-bringing-lost-planet-to-the-pc-30967.phtml

So already, the PC is going to do things the new systems can't. Yes, it WILL be expensive. But in a few years it won't, and for five years or more the PC will have it all over the game systems again.

---

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:39 AM on j-body.org
I've read through the majority of this thread and seen some arguments raised about having to upgrade computers too much and how xbox 360's and ps3's will still be playing the latest games in 4-5 years. Why did people camp outside of Best Buy and other places waiting for the launch of the 360 or ps3? Is it because of the awesome launch titles? H3ll no, it's cause they're tired of being mired in the mud with craptastic graphics. I remember hearing about how next gen was going to leap over PC graphics. Did it happen? No, the ps3 came out and was already behind Nvidia's 8800. The 320mb 8800gts can already be had for less than $300, and when the r600 and 8900 comes out the price point will get even better and the 640mb 8800gts should hit $300. Do you have to upgrade every year? No. Maybe the next couple years you would have to run your games at a medium level of detail, and then drop it even more if you were pushing the card to the very end of it's life. Where would that put you? It'd put you four years down the road right alongside the 360 or ps3 with craptastic graphics while the people who don't mind ponying up the money are playing games maxed out on a.............HIGH END PC. My main computer has a oc'd x1900xt that I'll probably hold on to until I see how DX10 emerges, but my secondary box has an old 7800gt in it that can still offer a decent gaming experience.

TV and the computer were brought up. I paid no more than $80 for a Hauppauge PVR-150 TV tuner card that records in MPEG2. Came with a remote too. I was at Fry's about a week ago and they were selling 300gb Maxtor HDs for somewhere in the $60-70 range on sell. Phuck Tivo, I'll go with Freevo. Just about any graphics card today can be hooked up through s-video/composite to an older tv, or hdmi or dvi to a newer lcd display (which of course has now become your computer monitor).

PC multiplayer gaming. You've got to be kidding me. This is where multiplayer started. I played split screen with a friend on his console, and it was the most annoying thing ever in terms of gaming. Playing a FPS with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse was teh suxxor as well that day. Maybe it's come out though since the last time I've checked and console gamers can have the pinpoint precision I've come to enjoy.

Maybe I look at it different, but since I have a computer and still like to play video games, why not have a computer that can play video games. In the end I think the xbox 360 will win out. The pricepoint is better it's been out longer so the games are there. To me the $300-400 price tag of the xbox 360 is acceptable. $600 and up on a ps3? For those crying about having to upgrade computers, there's about two graphics card upgrades in that $600 and up price tag. I think the Wii is going to do very well also. The Wii seems like a great console to play with some friends. What may have seemed like a gimmick at first with the funky Wii remote may revolutionize gaming. I actually like Nintendo's approach too. Instead of trying to win the arms race with graphics they went after improving gameplay. I don't care how good it looks, if a game isn't fun you're not going to play it.

Now for the real meat and potatoes, HURRY UP WITH CRYSIS!!! I hope Crytek didn't phuk up by letting EA get involved.

Monday, April 16, 2007 6:34 PM on j-body.org
ohvrolla: I understand your opinion and I agree, if you already have the money invested in a system that can carry thru then by all means upgrade it. For me $400.00 for the 360 was a steal as compared to spending $2500.00 to upgrade my PC. I originally purchased the PS3 to sell, but prices fell so I kept it becuause luckily I can afford it. Even still after everything I've got $1200.00 invested and never have to worry about graphic settings, or hardware requirements. For me the ease of just popping in the disc and playing is where it all comes together.

But you guys are gonna love Lost Planet when it goes PC along with Gears. Awesome Games!

-Chris

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:24 PM on j-body.org
Yeah a lot of it depends on the computer to begin with. If you've already got a dual core processor and 2gb of ram, then a 8800gts and a GOOD power supply will put you where you need to be. Roughly $400 to $500 depending on using the 320mb or 640mb video card. If you've got a weaksauce processor and less than 2gb of ram, which is the norm now for a gaming machine as far as ram goes, then the xbox 360 is the way to go. The xbox 360 is a nice machine for the price and what it gives you.

Realistically I can build a high end single video card system from the ground up for well under $1500 if staying air cooled, and upgrade an existing machine for around $1,000 for new mobo, C2D proc, 2gb of ram, video card, and power supply while reusing the old computers case and drives. If you do a lot of video editing and converting then a computer upgrade might be a good idea to begin with. Computer gaming is definitely an expensive hobby. I'm on my third pc in less than three years. First one was a skt 754 system with a 6800gt vc given to my g/f when I jumped over to a skt 939 and a 7800gt vc. That one is now being used more for an htpc machine, and I'm gaming on a skt 939 dual core with a x1900xt vc. By the end of the year I will probably jump over to C2D and a 8800/8900 or ati's r600 if they'll ever release the dam thing. At the minimum I'll upgrade my video card.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:52 PM on j-body.org
Wii is next gen..........
XBox 360 isnt new tech, its just computer technology upgraded from the original XBox
the PS3 is the only next gen console by your standards since it uses blu-ray (new tech) and a cell processor (also new tech)
but hey, i guess the majority of the world is wrong by saying the wii and 360 are next gen consoles

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:15 PM on j-body.org
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 11:46 PM on j-body.org
I think its safe to say, Wii wins this one, with 360 coming in second and the PS3 dieing a fiery death

Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:22 AM on j-body.org
At least the PS3 was designed to cool itself at higher degrees of effectiveness, while the XBOX360 could not......but both Console manufactures state that neither are to be in an enclosed entertainment center. Its the users and sons fault, for not listening to the Console manufactures. Also the PS3 will turn off before it gets TOO hot. "Insert Evil Laughter"

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:42 AM on j-body.org
Also... From an Article I just read.
The Xbox 360's lack of a guaranteed hard disk is creating limitations in Grand Theft Auto IV's development, Rockstar has acknowledged.

During an interview with our partners in crime at Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar's creative vice president Dan Houser was asked: "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

He continued, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet." The difficulties aren't limited to working on Microsoft's box, as Houser explains that "both have enormous challenges" and that "both have their own particular pleasures and pains".

Rockstar hasn't said anything about a target SKU between the two consoles, but they're currently demoing the game to press running on an Xbox 360 - so we wouldn't worry too much if you've only got Microsoft's console.

Source - http://allaboutbluray.co.uk

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:11 PM on j-body.org
Besides the 360 not being capable of cooling itself, it should have shut down to stop any damage........

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:49 AM on j-body.org
The PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System Software version 1.80 update includes the following:

Upscaling Games and Movies

* SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

Media Content on the Move

* Since November, PS3 owners have been able to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PS3s hard drive to a nearby PSP system. Consumers will soon have the freedom to access this media content wherever and whenever their PSP is connected to a wireless Internet access point. To take advantage of this feature, users will have to update their PSP systems firmware to the next version, 3.50, slated for release next week. Once both systems are updated, consumers can enjoy their entertainment content wherever and whenever wireless Internet access is available, including the 7,000 T-Mobile HotSpot locations across the United States.
* Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub.

Other Feature Upgrades

* Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card Users can now copy saved data from PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation2), using their PS3 system and a Memory Card Adaptor.
* Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing The photo capabilities of PS3 system have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3s hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

I am a Happy Camper, now that I can stream from my Linux Ubuntu Desktop, Windows XP laptop, and my PS3. WOHOO!
~~Does the Happy Dance~~

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:10 PM on j-body.org
Over 7 million units in sales for the Wii.

Just over 3 for the PS3

The 360 sits at around 10.8 million.

However, I will admit, unless some cool stuff starts coming out for the Wii, I'm becoming less and less impressed daily.

Then again, I haven't had any time to play games on my PC or any platform lately, either.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:54 PM on j-body.org
if you still think nothing cool for the Wii is coming (or here) besides party games, you really haven't been paying attention.

---

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:24 PM on j-body.org
Granted, I haven't, and even said so

What should I be looking for?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:46 AM on j-body.org
For starters, the Knights into Dreams sequel is looking promising.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:13 PM on j-body.org
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070606/tc_nm/nintendo_sony_dc;_ylt=ArBXm2OOd1K8NZ7nZn3ImeZT.3QA

Ouch. But i guess you can chalk one up for the Wii. Seriously, with the way things are going with the PS3, Sony should skip the PS4 and just make their combination walkman/collostomy bag--it would sell better.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:51 PM on j-body.org
the ps3 needs some titles and FAST

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:30 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:the ps3 needs some titles and FAST

there are some good titles coming out soon. Personally I love the ps3. I never liked the design of the xbox controller, which is one of the main reasons i got a ps3. So far happy as hell with ps3 though...fight night round 3 has fantastic graphics. Resistance was ok with the smart AI...fear scared the @!#$ out of me. Those are just some. The darkness is coming out soon and should be pretty good. Looking forward to Madden 08, fear 2, burnout 5, army of 2, strangehold, devil may cry 4 and of course final fantasy xiii. I was never really into the final fantasy games til my brother made me start playing one of them...was addicting.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:16 AM on j-body.org
Those are diff some quality games there. But my question is how many people are willing to pay the high entry point price to play them?

---

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:36 AM on j-body.org
Don't forget Warhawk. Major badass. I'm beta testing it right now. SUCH a good game.
Killzone FTW, home, little big planet, and others.
I'm glad I have my PS3 and didn't get the 360.
All my friends have either 360's or Wii's, and they are over my house all the time now playing warhawk. LOL

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, June 07, 2007 11:56 AM on j-body.org
Home might be a big draw for some people in the fall...

Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:35 PM on j-body.org
I'm saying the Wii wins the next-gen war. It really is interactive and is fun for everyone, not just hardcore gamers. They have opened up a whole new market for families and friends to do something indoors that is semi-exercising. Me and my fiancee picked up a Wii a week ago and we've had so much fun just playing sports and Wii Play. She usually hates video games (couldn't stand Halo) and now she begs me to play it with her. I've yet to play a PS3 since nobody can afford it and there are not games any of my friends like. The XBOX360 is fun, good graphics, but we play the same old games on it. Halo 2 and NFS:Carbon are the most common games other than more regular XBOX games. With no change in real gameplay or controller design the PS3 and XBOX360 are fairly stale in my opinion. With it's introdution of a wireless and motion sensitive remote the Wii is allowing more people to play the games and as a result keeping families closer together (saw families shopping for games together).

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search