Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 8 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:50 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Why would someone shell out a premium for something they already have?

I don't know one person with a DVR.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 11:43 AM on j-body.org
EZ3K1EL wrote:
Quote:

I would have to agree. Very few people have DVR's by me. Only one friend does. and that is because he works for time warner.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:15 PM on j-body.org
just about everyone with digital cable or sattelite has DVR already
hell my parents have one with their cable
my aunt has tivo
my roommate has a dvr with his dish network
sure its a nice little bonus
but im thinking if people are shelling out 600 bucks for a gaming system, they already have things like i-tunes on their computer for their ipod, digital cable with dvr, and such
but hey, i do like the idea
just hope its not too much crammed into one thing

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:25 PM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:
EZ3K1EL wrote:
Quote:

I would have to agree. Very few people have DVR's by me. Only one friend does. and that is because he works for time warner.

Most people I know have DVR's. I built a custom one, and then I obtained the Comcast DVR. So now you officially know people with DVR's.

This is why anecdotal evidence is worthless. You not knowing of anyone with a DVR is not proof of low acceptance. If anything, your not knowing anyone with a DVR makes me question the value of your insight on any technological topic.

---

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:42 PM on j-body.org
Digital cable by me is rare....hell cable internet is rare. Hell my work has DSL....thats the best we can get. I have DSL at home, and would LOVE cable internet and digital TV...but it just isn't offered. And where its offered the FINALLY rewired everything. We HAVE @!#$ cables here phone or cable. Hell I had dial-up until a year ago......thats all that was offered.

I can not help my regional retardedness now, but I will be moving soon. Then I'll have digital cable and GOOD internet.

The only reason we have DSL is because Avery Denision had extra bandwidth on there T1 line.

Also I never claimed anything as FACT, just how it is around me.

Also...Also Walmart is the biggest thing around me...if that tells you anything.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:54 PM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:21 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Also...Also Walmart is the biggest thing around me...if that tells you anything.

I'm sorry.

Still, my question remains...if you were someone thatwouldn't buy a PS3, would DVR functionality persuade you to get one?

I don't think it would.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:17 PM on j-body.org
Wouldn't me. The Xbox360's ridiculous fail rates would persuade me to buy a ps3 over an xbox at this point, however.

---

Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:16 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]
Quote:

I'm sorry.
till, my question remains...if you were someone that wouldn't buy a PS3, would DVR functionality persuade you to get one?
I don't think it would.
Nope, but it does add to the every growing list of capabilities.
AGuSTiN wrote:Wouldn't me. The Xbox360's ridiculous fail rates would persuade me to buy a ps3 over an xbox at this point, however.
30 some % fail rate is good, come on. At least the 360 has a three year warranty, but you might need it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:09 PM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]
Quote:

I'm sorry.
till, my question remains...if you were someone that wouldn't buy a PS3, would DVR functionality persuade you to get one?
I don't think it would.

Nope, but it does add to the every growing list of capabilities.
AGuSTiN wrote:Wouldn't me. The Xbox360's ridiculous fail rates would persuade me to buy a ps3 over an xbox at this point, however.
30 some % fail rate is good, come on. At least the 360 has a three year warranty, but you might need it.
Last time I heard it was 33%. That's insane. One out of every 3 Xbox 360's break. I got lucky with mine that I had. I had it for about 9 or 10 months and it only froze a handful of times. But, as I saw the problems rise more and more, I knew I had to get rid of it before it took a crap on me. I only got it to hold me over until the PS3 came out anyways. I really don't care if it has a 3 year warranty. You still have to wait while you send the system in then they send you one back that had already been broken before. Which means it probably has a higher chance of breaking than a brand new one. Everyone's complaint about the PS3 other than price is that there's no good games. But really what truly great games does the 360 have? I know people are going to say Gears of War, but not everyone plays those games. I actually despise those games. I think that FPS are pretty dumb actually. Atleast if your out killing aliens or whatever the heck they are. I'm not a big hater of the 360 though, just the fanboys make me mad because they think it's such a great system but all they have is, "it has games". Well, of course it has games, it has a year headstart on the PS3. Somone refresh my memory, but I really can't think of a truly great game that came out for 360 until Gears of War. Atleast nothing that anyone made too big of a deal about.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:25 PM on j-body.org
I think the problem is that there are no truly unique and interesting games anymore.

Halo and Gears of War annoy me, because it's the same old. People fighting aliens.

That's what I like about the Wii. If you're not going to make a new game, give me a way where I can immerse myself in what's available.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:06 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Most people I know have DVR's. I built a custom one, and then I obtained the Comcast DVR. So now you officially know people with DVR's.

This is why anecdotal evidence is worthless. You not knowing of anyone with a DVR is not proof of low acceptance. If anything, your not knowing anyone with a DVR makes me question the value of your insight on any technological topic.

#1 When did I say that me not knowing anyone with DVR equated to no one owning them... #2 So since I don't know anyone with DVR/Tivo, I know nothing about them.. .? Kind of the "theory" of your right.

Also you're "evidence" works the both, just because you know alot of people with DVR doesn't meant he majority owns them. (for example HDTVS = 30% household rates now I believe)

Quote:

just about everyone with digital cable or sattelite has DVR already

I've had digital cable for years, and so have many people I have known.. .. (no DVR's btw)

Quote:

Still, my question remains...if you were someone that wouldn't buy a PS3, would DVR functionality persuade you to get one?

I think they would.

The irony is with this talk of is that the PS2 sales were so high because many people wanted them as DVD players.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:07 AM on j-body.org
Oh, and FYI, in 2005 the DVR household rate was something like 7%, I can't find a figure for 2007.

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:29 AM on j-body.org
EZ3K1EL wrote:#1 When did I say that me not knowing anyone with DVR equated to no one owning them... #2 So since I don't know anyone with DVR/Tivo, I know nothing about them.. .? Kind of the "theory" of your right.

So why did you present that information? To show ...??????? If your words were misinterpreted then it's because your case was so poorly presented.

EZ3K1EL wrote:
Also you're "evidence" works the both, just because you know alot of people with DVR doesn't meant he majority owns them. (for example HDTVS = 30% household rates now I believe)

That's not what *I* said. I was just letting you know that people own them.

Quote:

I've had digital cable for years, and so have many people I have known.. .. (no DVR's btw)

Well, you know, West Virginia....

Quote:

I think they would.

The irony is with this talk of is that the PS2 sales were so high because many people wanted them as DVD players.

Oh, I thought that's what the Blu-Ray was for...

HD-DVD $260
Tivo 80 gb $170, $14.96 after rebate (http://www.buy.com/prod/tivo-r54080-series2-digital-video-recorder-up-to-80-hours-capacity/q/loc/111/90136908.html)
=$274.96

Ps3 w/80gig $600

Riiiiiigght...that'll sell em.

---

Monday, August 13, 2007 7:38 AM on j-body.org
All comments about locale aside, i have to go with Ag on this. The only reason that the PS2 originally was bought as a DVD player is because it, at the time, was around the same price--if not much less than other DVD players. If Blu-ray was the de-facto standard in current gen (since Holographic Discs are likely next-gen) movie storage, and it weas priced competitively with the players out there i could see it boosting sales, but again, $500 is not competing with any DVR, Blu-ray is not the industry De-facto standard, and there's nothing really speecial--at least yet, about the PS3 except for freshened graphics.

However, when the price of the system drops significantly, we'll see then...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, August 13, 2007 8:41 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

So why did you present that information? To show ...??????? If your words were misinterpreted then it's because your case was so poorly presented.

Haha, that was a "case" i presented all of sudden???? Wow, if you thought one little comment was a case,then I don't know.
You want me to present a case? I read article this morning that estimated put DVR's at 17-20%. In other words 80% of households don't have DVR....

"Why would someone shell out a premium for something they already have?" Well 80% of the US doesn't have one.

hardly everyone with digital cable i'd imagine

still, my question remains...if you were someone that wouldn't buy a PS3, would DVR functionality persuade you to get one?
I don't think it would.
Quote:

If you were already someone "who wouldn't buy a PS3" then it would seem nothing would persuade you right? Like you for example seem pretty much set in not liking the PS3, and nothing seems to change your mind, right? Well for someone who is up in the air perhaps, might be swayed if the learn it's a function of the PS3. I def. don't think it's a main selling point.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:50 PM on j-body.org
My new PS3 .

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:23 AM on j-body.org
Hulk Hogan and George Foreman would be proud.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, August 17, 2007 2:53 PM on j-body.org
http://gamewad.com/madden-nfl-08-360-vs-ps3-5012-p.html

A little comparison between 360 and PS3 with Madden 08

Saturday, August 18, 2007 8:58 AM on j-body.org
Yes, but what about the Microsoft VP now being the President of EA.
Yes the PS3 users got @!#$. The 360 version if MUCH better.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:23 AM on j-body.org
@!#$ madden
mario strikers charged is the most fun sports game i have played in awhile
and wifi play is awesome too haha!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:53 AM on j-body.org
I'm just going to give my whole take on this............once more

Wii -

While the cheaper of the systems...... and still think it would be cool to have...... a lot of the games just don't appeal to me..... and second of all, I don't want to have to exercise just to play a video game

PS3 -

I've always been a sony fan..... used to have a PS1 and a PS2...... loved them both, had some really awesome games. At the time of the PS2, I was not a fan of the current Xbox at all.... hated the controllers, didnt like the games, etc

Xbox 360 -

I took a chance with this thing because i wanted a newer console, and the PS3 wasnt out yet. Besides the fact I got the red-ring of death, and had to send my console in to microsoft to get fixed...... I love this console. $400 for the console, $180 for the HD drive.... and the xbox live content alone makes this the perfect system to me. I love the games on it, and for those saying there arent many good games on it..... need to look at the next couple months......

September 25, 2007 Halo 3
October 2, 2007 Project Gotham Racing 4
October 9, 2007 The Orange Box (Half Life Collection)
October 23, 2007 Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
October 29, 2007 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
November 5, 2007 BlackSite: Area 51
November 5, 2007 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
November 20, 2007 Rock Band

Not to mention some that have just come out like Bioshock, which in my opinion blows any kind of FPS away

Granted most of them are FPS's, but i love those kind of games..... and the fact that Ace Combat 6 will be the only good flight game on any of the consoles, and a damn good one at that

What it all comes down to really is the kind of games you like...... 360 for people who love FPS's, racing games, and a good flying game........... PS3 for people who well, i dunno, i really havent seen anything descent on it............ the Wii for people who like more of a simple game, dont care about graphics, and like games geared more towards kids

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:07 AM on j-body.org
Meh, that's a pretty weak argument.

Wii - yeah, Wii sports you might have to get off he coach. But all the other games are sit down and play just like any other console. Matter of fact, thanks to the genious of the wand, I can play some games laying down, one-handed, like Bust a Move. Talk about lazy!

Xbox - Besides Halo 3, any of those games exclusive to Xbox360? I know Bioshock and GH aren't.

---

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:38 PM on j-body.org
Bioshock is Microsoft exclusive..... only on the PC and 360

Plus Ace Combat 6 will only be 360 exclusive

and as far as Orange Box... its going to be 360 exclusive...... although the games are available for the pc to

Like i said, it all comes down to the type of games your interested in.... ill eventually get a Wii and a PS3.... but im content with my 360 right now

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:51 PM on j-body.org
pshaw you obviously haven't played a FPS on wii have you?
Metroid Prime 3 and COD3 are awesome on wii
and madden 07 is fun as hell too
i dunno, i only have to get up for wii sports, plus, getting up off the couch wouldn't hurt you that much would it
i MAY get a ps3 down the line when i have much more disposable income (as opposed to zilch) and the price comes down
more for gran turismo and a couple other games (like tekken and soul cailber 4 and some others) but i can wait
xbox360 and ps3 just havent appealed that much to me, they seem cluttered with FPSs and i prefer more of a mouse/keyboard combo with those.
but thats my personal preference as well

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:24 PM on j-body.org
yeah i do agree..... FPS's are 100 times better with a mouse/keyboard combo........ but ive reached the limit updating my PC..... so ill have to build a new one at some point.

and like i said, i do want a Wii.... i think its an excellent system, especially for the price

my biggest selling point though with the 360 is Xbox Live........ Microsoft has really set the standard with online gameplay..... and I love being able to download demos, rent movies..... and buy updates to my games (extra content)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search