Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 7 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Monday, June 25, 2007 6:10 AM on j-body.org
UPDATE - Sony is planning a major uptake in both packaged and downloadable PlayStation 3 games for this fiscal year, according to a Reuters report.

ImageCurrently, the PS3 game library stands at 60 packaged titles and 50 download-only titles, but Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai reportedly said that the company will introduce an additional 200 retail games and 180 downloadable games worldwide this fiscal year ending in March 2008.

Reuters’ report, which cites the Nikkei newspaper, said that SCE would be working closely with software publishers on the marketing of games.

In an e-mail to Next-Gen, Sony Computer Entertainment America PR boss Dave Karraker said that in the U.S. specifically, there are over 105 Blu-ray disc games and around 40 PlayStation Network downloadable games and game packs slated for this fiscal year. However, this figure doesn't include third-party games beyond Christmas, so there should be additional U.S. titles released during Sony's January-March quarter.

While Sony’s PS3 currently trails the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii, many analysts believe that the console will hit its stride sometime during 2008, thanks to its advanced tech, recognizable brand and an impending price cut.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:37 AM on j-body.org
^^^The only question is...will they be any good? Or is it just something to deliver to satiate the masses that becomes a flop (See also--the Atari ET game)?

I think sony's best bet would be to come up with a couple of absolutely groundbreaking games rather tyhan focus on a whole bunch of games that will likely show that it was just churned out, ya know?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:55 AM on j-body.org
If Blu-Ray continues to win, I'll buy a PS3 for that, and the games will be a bonus.

---

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:28 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]^^^The only question is...will they be any good? Or is it just something to deliver to satiate the masses that becomes a flop (See also--the Atari ET game)?

I think sony's best bet would be to come up with a couple of absolutely groundbreaking games rather tyhan focus on a whole bunch of games that will likely show that it was just churned out, ya know?
Warhawk..The agency, little big planet. Will all be GREAT games and level setting.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:24 AM on j-body.org
^^^But that's three out of how many? Look at the N64--the only decent games for it were F-Zero X, KI Gold, Goldeneye, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. 3-4 gamnes aren't enough to save a system.

Still, i could be wrong. My main point was instead of flooding the market with dreck and making games that are little more than visual eyecandy, the best bet is to focus on a few games that have the whole package.

And Agustin does make a point. When the PS2 came out in japan, in the first year, the ratio of consoles to games sold was really high--just because people bought it as a really inexpensive DVD player (before you could get a Wal-mart special for 50 bucks). The PS3 might end up doing the same thing. Considering that most consoles are sold at a loss, this wouldn't bode well for Sony.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:22 PM on j-body.org
Monday, July 23, 2007 8:42 AM on j-body.org
I also like how Microsoft extended the warranty on their Xbox360 from one to three years. They know they are breaking in record numbers. They finally had to admit it. Also the towel trick.......there should be no need for a towel trick.

Yes Wii is still selling like hot cakes.
.....Last week Nintendo sold through 245,000 thousand Wii consoles and Microsoft just over 57,000 units of 360. That's 4.2 Wii's sold to every Xbox 360 according to our maths. PS3 came in at just under 80,000 sales, and outsold 360 in North America in the same week by more than 5000 units...
Yes, this might be from the price drop.

Also most everyone agrees that Sony won the E3 convention, they did have the most to prove though.

Nintendo....said in not so many words....they are no longer supporting true gamers. ~~sad sad day~~

ADDED
Sony can take some further solace from the fact that the PS2 outsold the Xbox 360 - US consumers bought 188,000 of the no-longer-cutting-edge consoles........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 23, 2007 8:45 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:12 AM on j-body.org
Nintendo is not after "traditional" gamers. And why should they be? They're creating a market for themselves, just like the Ipod did.

That being said, I'm an oldschool gamer from the Atari days and I still love the Wii. So it's not like there isn't any crossover.

---

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:49 AM on j-body.org
How do we know that for the next gen, *true* gamers won't want their systems to respond in the same way that the Wii respons?

That would almost be like saying that "True" racers only use a pushrod engine, and that this "new-fangled DOHC" is not for *real* racers...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:11 AM on j-body.org
Well true gamers might not be correct phrase, but you know what I was trying to say.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:07 PM on j-body.org
the ps3 has a whole new software/hardware system, sony is still trying to meet the full capabilities of their dual band sys.. xbox 360 however is just an updated version of the xbox... the new playstation has a lot more potential than the xbox360 could ever have.. for the 360 you had to spend how much for an hd drive? whats next when they have to upgrade their video processing, memory, storage? xbox720??? ya'll know how faulty microsofts crud is first on market....
we as consumers just have to be patient with sony... ps3 isnt all about graphics either.. loading the large games up in seconds rather than a minute over the ps2... 6 axis controller... makes games like blazing angles stand out over other history fighter games.. im sticking with sony, you all can bash all you want.. but sony's new technology i believe will be more benifitial to the consumer than whats on the current market.

"Z24 Dustbunny"

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:58 PM on j-body.org
I don't think anyone argues the technical specs of the PS3. But the specs aren't helping it sell. It's just too damn expensive.

---

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:32 PM on j-body.org
Exactly, Specs don't mean jack unless you can actually put them to good use. The massive price tag with just a "freshening" up of graphics at this point, won't justify the cost. Further, the 6-axis controller is not new, and in many ways is a knee-jerk reaction to stave off the onslaught of the Wii.

Right now it looks like the consumers are speaking that the most benefitial technology to the end user is the Wii's remote. The hardware behind the PS3, as impressive as it is, is so far being met lukewarmly by the consumers--else it would be selling better.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:02 PM on j-body.org
hmm looks like the Wii may be doing online play after all
http://wii.nintendo.com/site/mariostrikerscharged/
wi-fi play on mario strikers
not exactly xbox live or even ps3's home
but it allows online matches to occur

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:29 PM on j-body.org
Wii is about to pass Xbox360 in worldwide sales....9 months to do what the 360 took 21 to do...

http://www.vgchartz.com/?wx=620

---

Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:21 AM on j-body.org
More PS3 Revelations: Built-in DVR and iTunes-like Download Service
PS3 rumored to have several new media-centered functions, including DVR and versatile PSP connectivity
According to a new topic on the PlayStation forums, there is more to the PlayStation magazine story about Sony developing an Xbox Live killer for the PlayStation 3.

Though the information is most certainly still unconfirmed, the post tells that the PS3 will have digital video recording (DVR) capabilities, will connect to the PSP for show transfers, and will have an iTunes-like media download service for hi-def movies and music.

One thing is for certain: Sony definitely wants to compete with the Xbox 360's media center functionality and online multiplayer dominance.The article also claims that Sony is harnessing the full power of the Cell chip and nVidia's RSX video GPU to aid in decoding the Blu-ray discs to help keep the Blu-ray drive costs down. But can Sony keep the cost of the PS3 under $400, even with all these fancy new features?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:02 AM on j-body.org
^^^not knocking the functionality, but i don't think that will save the PS3. I seriously doubt people will use a I-tunes like function in their PS3 when they likely have it hooked up to an entertainment center that likely has the same functionality.

The DVR...not sure about it, but i don't think it will be a selling point that would put it above the 360.

The only thing IMHO that will help the PS3 is having a game that is so immersive and gotta-have, that cannot be emulated in any way on any of the other consoles.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Monday, August 06, 2007 7:50 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]The only thing IMHO that will help the PS3 is having a game that is so immersive and gotta-have, that cannot be emulated in any way on any of the other consoles.
MGS4 Demo... Enough said...look at it.
Also the PS3 is not selling bad either. On the PS3 G.A.P. forums Sony told us they have at least 6 million PS3's in homes, and are going after VGcharts and others for false total units sold claims.

Also sales are up for last month.
Sales numbers from July.
Wii : 77,169
PS3: 28,829
PS2: 11,757
Xbox 360: 3,872

ps3 and Wii released Nov. 2006....9 months ago
360 released Nov. 2005....21 months ago

Using VGcharts units sold since launch
360 10.27 Million Sold, thats 48,9047 units sold per month
Wii 9.88 Million Sold, thats 1,097,777 units sold per month
PS2 66.50 Million sold, thats 950,000 units sold per month
PS3 4.01 Million Sold, thats 445,555 units sold per month
Using Sony's 6 mil....thats 666,666 units sold per month

Yes the Wii is killing everyone, but PS3 is not doing as bad as people say they are.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, August 06, 2007 8:11 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Hmm...that proves to me that Sony is sleeping with the devil.

Monday, August 06, 2007 3:45 PM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]The only thing IMHO that will help the PS3 is having a game that is so immersive and gotta-have, that cannot be emulated in any way on any of the other consoles.

MGS4 Demo... Enough said...look at it.
Also the PS3 is not selling bad either. On the PS3 G.A.P. forums Sony told us they have at least 6 million PS3's in homes, and are going after VGcharts and others for false total units sold claims.

Also sales are up for last month.
Sales numbers from July.
Wii : 77,169
PS3: 28,829
PS2: 11,757
Xbox 360: 3,872

ps3 and Wii released Nov. 2006....9 months ago
360 released Nov. 2005....21 months ago

Using VGcharts units sold since launch
360 10.27 Million Sold, thats 48,9047 units sold per month
Wii 9.88 Million Sold, thats 1,097,777 units sold per month
PS2 66.50 Million sold, thats 950,000 units sold per month
PS3 4.01 Million Sold, thats 445,555 units sold per month

Yes the Wii is killing everyone, but PS3 is not doing as bad as people say they are.

i'll be more likely to believe that the ps3 has sold more than sites claim when i know someone that owns one

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:21 AM on j-body.org
if the demo lives up to the hype, it will help, but i don't see it flying off the shelves so that everyone and their grandmother will buy a copy--or, buy a PS3 just to get a copy.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 4:09 PM on j-body.org
I don't see why everyone thinks the price of the PS3 is so high. It's not down to $500. That's only a measly $20 more than a 360 Elite. And the Elite doesn't even have an HD DVD player built in. And it's only $100 more than a Premium 360. When you're spending $400, an extra $100 for a system that is way more reliable (360 failure rate:33%, PS3:1 and has way more in terms of hardware. Backwards compatability also sucks on the 360, so you can't play very many original Xbox games on it. Oh yeah and you save $50 a year because you don't have to pay for online play. I think Gran Turismo 5 is really going to help turn around sales of the PS3. Has anyone seen the vids for it? Absolultely amazing. It's going to absolutely kill Forza 2.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:22 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]^^^not knocking the functionality, but i don't think that will save the PS3. I seriously doubt people will use a I-tunes like function in their PS3 when they likely have it hooked up to an entertainment center that likely has the same functionality.

The DVR...not sure about it, but i don't think it will be a selling point that would put it above the 360.

I dont think there is anything to "save". Look at the PS2 sales from its start, they're comparable to PS3's....

I think everything the PS3 has to offer is way above the 360, and I really like the 360. but the price is it's hard selling point. Minimal games *right now* are hurting it too.

I would imagine the "I-Tune" system would have full movies/shows to download, which I would like. It's hooked up to a TV for one.. center for most people. (It's also M$ main focus is making the 360 the main focus of home entertainment. )

Do really don't think DVR would be a selling point? I would LOVE to have DVR (if it was free or cheap anyways).

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 8:21 AM on j-body.org
Tspence: Because I could take that money, get some massive computer upgrades, and have a system that will literally blow a PS3 out of the water.

EZ3K1EL: Most people I know...already have an entertainment system that somehow connects to some kind of music share. What's the point of paying a price premium for something you already have? Same with the DVR. Why would someone shell out a premium for something they already have? Stull like DVR or I-tunes-like capabilities IMHO will not draw people who wouldn't buy a PS3 before to buy one now.

Besdies, i'm not arguing for the Xbox360--since putting out the money for a 360...i can *still* get better functionality from my PC than fron a 360.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 9:07 AM on j-body.org
Keeper I don't fully agree with the PC argument. The PS3 has way more proccessing power than "most" PC's. It also doesn't need all that ram a computer has for running multiple programs. I will agree a larger graphics card would be nice. You can up the harddrive to as big as notebook drives are, and one Japaneses company has made a raid server with 10 terabyte run in/on the PS3.

Yeah, but the PS3 is the "cheapest" entertainment center..or will be if you do not have all those other things.

tspence45 did make a good point about the $50 year network fee.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search