Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 10 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Friday, October 05, 2007 2:45 PM on j-body.org
if the ps3 had the wii controls
zomg i would cream my pants in delight
because without a doubt, the ps3 has the best graphics and the most power
but, to me, the wii is more fun all around

Sunday, October 07, 2007 12:15 AM on j-body.org
the ps3 does have motion controls that are as good or better than the wii they just dont make it the main feature in all the games. most people get tired of having to swing the controller all over the place after awhile, and sony thout of that when they designed the controller

Sunday, October 07, 2007 8:30 AM on j-body.org
They're not better than the Wii's. I think that much is clear by the amount of hacks that use the Wii controller in robots, home-built segways, etc. BTW, you can buy and use Gamecube controllers for the Wii or the "classic" controller made for the Wii itself. No one does, tho...

---

Sunday, October 07, 2007 9:19 AM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:the ps3 does have motion controls that are as good or better than the wii they just dont make it the main feature in all the games. most people get tired of having to swing the controller all over the place after awhile, and sony thout of that when they designed the controller

you could not be more wrong
Sony never thought of that, their motion control was a mere add in near the end of development
the wii controls do not need to be "swung all over the place"
In fact, most of the games i have, very little swinging is needed
in Mario Strikers Charge, there is no swinging needed, just a slight movement of the wii-mote to check people
in Metroid Prime 3, the wiimote is just aimed to shoot, the nun chuck is "swung" in order to grab and pull things with the grapple, but thats not every 2 seconds. Occasionally you need to shake someone off of you by shaking the controls
In call of duty 3, i cant remember but i dont think you swing it at all
Madden 07 you need to "throw" the football, power hit guys, and juke and such with the motion controls.
LOZ: Twilight Princess, obviously you need to swing your sword/ weapon. But thats the only swinging done, and frankly that adds to the fun of the game. Pressing A or X or O to swing a sword isnt nearly as fun
and well Wii Sports, thats more involved since it was designed around using the wiimote in various ways

I think a lot of people get this preconceived notion that you need to stand up to play the wii, that it involves all kinds of controller swinging for all games, and that you get this ridiculous workout. Not the case. I can sit on the couch and play mario strikers charged without barely moving just like any ps2/3, xbox/360, gamecube game. Metroid Prime 3 uses minimal movement, just pointing and shooting with the occasional grapple i mentioned earlier. Whatever, you are entitled to your opinion, i just think that the wii controls put me more into the gameplay than anything sony could come up with on their own.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 9:30 AM on j-body.org
I agree, Sony did throw in motion sensing at last minute due to the Wii's ability. Did it come out badly? No. But it's nowhere as good as the Wii's motion sensing ability. I still think that developers need to put more emphasis on it though, because as of now, it's a pretty useless ability. However, nobodies buying the PS3 for motion sensing.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 10:19 AM on j-body.org
from what ive heard, since i havent really played ps3 other than at like best buy and target, the only game that really uses the motion sensing is some airplane game.
Most people that buy the ps3 right now buy it for 2 reasons: the graphics, and/or they are playstation fanatics
not a knock in the least, its just what their customer base appears to be at the moment

Monday, October 08, 2007 12:30 AM on j-body.org
^^^and the blu-ray .

seriously, though...if nothing else...for the next gen (since the "next gen" consoles are now current gen), the Wii set the bar on controlling the games.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, October 08, 2007 4:09 AM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:I bought the top of the line version of the PS3 a couple of months after it came out (60 gig with WiFi version), now they have an 80gig version that costs less... go fiqure.

I've actually posted a vew things on this site with it using it's web broswer (basically Mozilla and kinda sucks though).

I don't pay anything for online gaming....

BTW what does the NAT type have to be set to for warhawk to work? mine is set to 3 and I can't figure out how to change it.. I thought about picking up a copy but I wan't to make sure it will work with my net configuration.

All I can think of is that the PS3 is unarguably the most powerfull system out right now... but thats not really the reason I bought it. I bought it because it is a Playstation .... I'm a fan of the controllers and the platform in general. I'm one of those Playstation Loyal people I quess. Just so you know... I don't have a lot of money by any means... I had to save up for the thing.

60GB version is hell of a lot better than the 80gb version. The 60GB has hardware to run the old ps2 and ps1 games, while the 80gb does it all through software. The 60gb runs the games MUCH better. The 60gb also has a colling fan the changes per interior temp. on a 1 to 1 scale, while the 80gb version has only two speeds, medium speed, and faster than hell. 60GB does get hotter than the 80gb, because most everything is hardware driven.

For Warhawk, your nat type should be 2 if running a modem and router. Try turning off upnp. In your router, and setting you PS3 to a static IP address. Warhawk will play fine most of the time on type 3, but you may be limited to small games....and games with no mics.

Whats your PSN ID.....mine is mdz24cavalier

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, October 12, 2007 10:04 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

60GB version is hell of a lot better than the 80gb version. The 60GB has hardware to run the old ps2 and ps1 games, while the 80gb does it all through software. The 60gb runs the games MUCH better. The 60gb also has a colling fan the changes per interior temp. on a 1 to 1 scale, while the 80gb version has only two speeds, medium speed, and faster than hell. 60GB does get hotter than the 80gb, because most everything is hardware driven.

For Warhawk, your nat type should be 2 if running a modem and router. Try turning off upnp. In your router, and setting you PS3 to a static IP address. Warhawk will play fine most of the time on type 3, but you may be limited to small games....and games with no mics.

Whats your PSN ID.....mine is mdz24cavalier

Sweet. thats good to know... I found out about the NAT type thing when I fiqured out I can't play The Darkness online.

I'm running a wireless DSL network (regular DSL modem hooked to a wireless router). At the moment.. it's unsecured because my ethernet card in my computer is bad, and I need to get a new one so I can configure my router. I have a wireless USB thingy plugged into my PC right now to access the wireless router.. and it's unreliable has hell. To I really need to get both an Internal ethernet card and an internal wireless card.

btw.... My PSN name is the same as my user name on this site. I was happy as hell when I typed in Weebel and it wasn't taken yet... another reason I wanted to get one early on.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:25 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:from what ive heard, since i havent really played ps3 other than at like best buy and target, the only game that really uses the motion sensing is some airplane game.
Most people that buy the ps3 right now buy it for 2 reasons: the graphics, and/or they are playstation fanatics
not a knock in the least, its just what their customer base appears to be at the moment

It's actually used in about every game. It's just that not too many people use it. You can use it in the F1:Championship Edition game to steer the car. You can use it in MLB 2k7 to swing the bat. There's plenty of other games that use it, those are just a couple I can think of off the top of my head. The motion sensing isn't really all that important to me though. I don't use it all that much. Usually I'm playing racing games and I use my Logitech G25 for that. I am happy that they're making a Dualshock 3 controller that will be released early next year. Finally, they're bringing rumble back.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:10 PM on j-body.org
tspence45 wrote:
Tracer Bullet wrote:from what ive heard, since i havent really played ps3 other than at like best buy and target, the only game that really uses the motion sensing is some airplane game.

It's actually used in about every game. It's just that not too many people use it. You can use it in the F1:Championship Edition game to steer the car. You can use it in MLB 2k7 to swing the bat. There's plenty of other games that use it, those are just a couple I can think of off the top of my head. The motion sensing isn't really all that important to me though. I don't use it all that much. Usually I'm playing racing games and I use my Logitech G25 for that. I am happy that they're making a Dualshock 3 controller that will be released early next year. Finally, they're bringing rumble back.

thats good to know because i like the swinging of the controller for baseball and the other motion stuff
itll be interesting to see what the next gen consoles will bring in terms of controls if the wii continues to be a big success

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:54 AM on j-body.org
Using to motion controls (PS3) to control arrows and stuff after you shoot / throw them in Heavenly Sword is pretty cool. It's actually really sensitive... if you sneeze while doing it.. your arrow will end up way off target.

The Wii isn't really that big of a competitor with the PS3 for the most part... most people buy the Wii for the type of games.. But iff all the systems where priced the same.... I bet the PS3 would sell the best.

I've played both XBOX 360 and PS3... and I like the PS3 a lot better.... most people that have played any PS3 games with me when they come over to visit end up wanting one regardless of what console thay happen to have.

Pricing aside... the PS3 is a better consol pretty much any way you look at it.

It's more powerfull (there still arn't computers with cpu's as powerfull as the PS3... not the case with XBOX 360's)

It's user interface is clean and easy to use... and supports all kinds of video and audio files.

It's 1080I compatible right out of the box (although you have to buy an HDMI cable)

The more expensive versions are WiFI capable without adding anything

The system is almost 100% backward compatible with its previouse gen games.

It runs on blue ray discs (more data can be stored on this disc and the graphics are better) and it can still run DVD's

The controller hasn't changed much and is easy to use (no learning a new controller, plus everything is Bluetooth.

The same games look and play better on the PS3 than on the XBOX 360

The type of games offerd on the PS3 are just as good or better than on the XBOX 360 (the Wii being the odd ball)

The PS3 is in all honestly the best system out right now.. the problem is that is costs soo much. Also.. hard core Final Fantasy and Gran Tourismo fans don't have a choice when it comes to platforms if they wan't to play those games.

Friday, October 19, 2007 3:33 AM on j-body.org
Its 1080P out of the box with a HDMI adapter.
Not all PS3's are 100% backwards compatable. The 60gb is the best. The 80gb, 20gb, and 40 gb is at best 75%.
No EA game to date runs better on the PS3 after mr xbox VP became President of EA.
I agree with most of your other points.
You forgot free online play.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, October 22, 2007 8:57 AM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:Using to motion controls (PS3) to control arrows and stuff after you shoot / throw them in Heavenly Sword is pretty cool. It's actually really sensitive... if you sneeze while doing it.. your arrow will end up way off target.

The Wii isn't really that big of a competitor with the PS3 for the most part... most people buy the Wii for the type of games.. But iff all the systems where priced the same.... I bet the PS3 would sell the best.

I've played both XBOX 360 and PS3... and I like the PS3 a lot better.... most people that have played any PS3 games with me when they come over to visit end up wanting one regardless of what console thay happen to have.

Pricing aside... the PS3 is a better consol pretty much any way you look at it.

It's more powerfull (there still arn't computers with cpu's as powerfull as the PS3... not the case with XBOX 360's)

It's user interface is clean and easy to use... and supports all kinds of video and audio files.

It's 1080I compatible right out of the box (although you have to buy an HDMI cable)

The more expensive versions are WiFI capable without adding anything

The system is almost 100% backward compatible with its previouse gen games.

It runs on blue ray discs (more data can be stored on this disc and the graphics are better) and it can still run DVD's

The controller hasn't changed much and is easy to use (no learning a new controller, plus everything is Bluetooth.

The same games look and play better on the PS3 than on the XBOX 360

The type of games offerd on the PS3 are just as good or better than on the XBOX 360 (the Wii being the odd ball)

The PS3 is in all honestly the best system out right now.. the problem is that is costs soo much. Also.. hard core Final Fantasy and Gran Tourismo fans don't have a choice when it comes to platforms if they wan't to play those games.

while i agree on some points you make here, if the wii were to cost as much as a ps3 you damn well better believe that it would be HD as well, and be much more powerful
but costing half the price, it obviously will not have the same technologies
also, the wii is free online play, and also is backwards compatible to more games (gamecube, and all the downloads)
while the downloads will cost money, the fact that those games are available makes a big difference

personally, the blu-ray thing isnt a huge deal breaker, but definitely a plus
most people have dvd players and you can get one for like 30 bucks now so playing dvd's isnt as huge a deal as it once was when ps2 came out
the wii's interface is also extremely easy to use

the wii's game selection is different, but it is also similar in some ways
i will agree that one who likes ps3 type games will not necessarily like the wii line-up of games and vise-versa
it all depends on what you like

The wii WILL be getting final fantasy games, not necessarily the same FF games, but final fantasy games none-the-less
also the wii will be getting Soul Caliber Legends exclusively
However i did play the demo of gran turismo yesterday at game stop and i must say, i want it, haha
of course the reason i wanted ps2 was gran turismo 4 so it doesnt suprise me that much
but the graphics are indeed amazing on the ps3, i never have, nor never will, argue that

The best graphics system is definitely the ps3
the most innovative system is definitely the wii
whichever system is the best out there right now is all subjective
right now i prefer the wii, but i certainly wouldnt mind having a ps3 with gran turismo and a couple other games that they have

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:39 AM on j-body.org
^^^if the Wii had NHL 08...oh man, my bro and I would be playing it incessantly--especially if they used the Wii boxing engine for fighting. too bad it's not coming out for it

Really, i think the Wii's sucess, or rather continued sucess, will be what they do with it. If they stagnate, it will fade out. if they innovate, like they have been, it will be the fore-runner for the de facto control system for the next gen.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:57 AM on j-body.org
The PS3 also has old down loadable classics.
Tracer you need to visit the grand Turismo 5 web site. BAD ASS.
Grand Turismo 5 is going to be just damn crazy.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:17 AM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:The PS3 also has old down loadable classics.
Tracer you need to visit the grand Turismo 5 web site. BAD ASS.
Grand Turismo 5 is going to be just damn crazy.

Gran Turismo 5 is definately going to be damn crazy. Whoever has a PS3 needs to create a Japanese PSN account and download the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue demo that was released this past weekend. The graphics are amazing and the physics are even better than before. It's also got an in-car view now . It's still far from a finished product though since GT5 won't be out for almost another year. It's been announced that GT5 Prologue will be available in the US in early 2008 though. That'll have 60 cars and 5 tracks. GT5 kills any 360 game in graphics also. People were telling me that Forza 2 looked just as good as GT5 will. I compared Forza 2 on my friend's 360 to the GT5 Prologue demo, which is pretty much a demo of a demo. And the GT5P demo looked a thousand times better. The graphical power of the PS3 is amazing. Now, they just need to start making games for the PS3 and porting them to the 360 instead of making them for 360 and porting over to the PS3. Then, the games on both systems will look a ton better on PS3 instead of the other way around.

98 Trans Am

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:14 AM on j-body.org
I agree on the porting, but it is not going to happen for a while.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:53 AM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:I agree on the porting, but it is not going to happen for a while.

I actually heard that they're already starting to do it from a guy that's been doing videos about the 360 and PS3 on Youtube. I forgot what games he said were going to be made for the PS3 then ported to the 360 though.

98 Trans Am

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:19 AM on j-body.org
Unreal tournament^^

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, October 26, 2007 4:28 PM on j-body.org
I havn't played a Wii yet... but they look cool.

The comparison I made was meant to be between the PS3 and XBOX360 only..

I wish they would have realistic damage in a Gran Tourismo game (or damage at all for that matter), at least when Need for Speed Pro street comes out.... it is supposed to be very realistic that wat (suposibaly the most realistic NFS title to date).

The free online gaming is a major plus in my book, plus the backwards compatibility with all my PS2 games was a big factor (I have the 60gig version). If I didn't have a PS2 when I bought my PS3, I still would have wanted a PS3 more than an XBOX360 but I don't know wich one I would have bought.

As far as UT3 goes... I read that there won't be compatibility between systems online... meaning you can only play against other people using the same console as you..... thats suprising.... you would think that they would change that.

I'm still waiting for someone to create an emulator program for the PS3 so I can play all my NES and SNES roms on my TV instead of my PC.

I have a FFVII rom that I've been playing on my PC (PS1 emulator), but I'm wondering if I can ever get my hands on the ISO files for all 3 Final Fantasy VII discs.... if I can burn them to cd's and play them on my PS3 since it should think it's a genuine original Playstation CD-ROM? That should be interesting once someone finally tries it.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:59 AM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:Its 1080P out of the box with a HDMI adapter.
Not all PS3's are 100% backwards compatable. The 60gb is the best. The 80gb, 20gb, and 40 gb is at best 75%.
No EA game to date runs better on the PS3 after mr xbox VP became President of EA.
I agree with most of your other points.
You forgot free online play.

The 20gb and 60gb are both the same when it comes to BC. They both use the EE chip and aren't any different with BC rate at like 95% (give or take a couple). The 40gb won't even have BC at all, and the 80gb is somewhere around 85-90%, and will get better with firmware updates due to the software emulation. The 80gb has the potential to actually be better with BC than the 20 and 60gb models.

98 Trans Am

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:56 AM on j-body.org
The 80gb is no where near 85-90%. About 50% 20gb are not EE chipped, they are software driven like the 80gb. Also the EE chip set 20gb had hardware inconsistency's.

The 40gb might still have BC with firmware updates, but that is still unknown. I agree the 80 could be better than the 60gb, but is not yet.
Weebel wrote:I wish they would have realistic damage in a Gran Tourismo game (or damage at all for that matter), at least when Need for Speed Pro street comes out.... it is supposed to be very realistic that wat (suposibaly the most realistic NFS title to date).

As far as UT3 goes... I read that there won't be compatibility between systems online... meaning you can only play against other people using the same console as you..... thats suprising.... you would think that they would change that.

I'm still waiting for someone to create an emulator program for the PS3 so I can play all my NES and SNES roms on my TV instead of my PC.

There is a video out in Japaneses with the GT cars having damage. NFS pro street is not realistic at all, have you seen the trailers. A RX7 doing a wheelie all the way down the quarter mile is realistic?
Tell Microsoft to let everyone play on "their" network. When HAZE was third party they wanted to have cross platform online, and Microsoft said "NO." Sony never said yes or no. Micrsoft also wanted Sony to charge their customers a fee to play on Microsoft's network.
Linux operating system on PS3 playing NES games FTW.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, October 29, 2007 4:48 AM on j-body.org
The 40gb will never be BC. It has none of the PS2 components in it, for it to have BC. It can however, play all PSone games. And from what I've heard out of the PS Boards, the 80gb is close to 85-90%. I also didn't realize that some 20gb don't have the EE chip. That's why everyone was making a big deal about the 80gb. If there hadn't been one in the 20gb, I doubt it would've been such a big deal to people.

98 Trans Am

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:06 AM on j-body.org
tspence45 wrote:The 40gb will never be BC. It has none of the PS2 components in it, for it to have BC. It can however, play all PSone games. And from what I've heard out of the PS Boards, the 80gb is close to 85-90%. I also didn't realize that some 20gb don't have the EE chip. That's why everyone was making a big deal about the 80gb. If there hadn't been one in the 20gb, I doubt it would've been such a big deal to people.

I agree or think I agree with what your trying to say on the 20gb version.

Yes the 40GB doesn't have any ps2 components, but it does have the hardware that makes emulation possible. But if they ever produce it is another story. If they can get th 80gb to run PS2 games, they "should" be able to make ps2 games run on the 40gb version.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search