ECOTEC 2.2L Supercharger finally available - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC 2.2L Supercharger finally available
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:38 PM
Well,

I called my dealership and by just asking them specifically for the 2.2L supercharger the guy told me it didn't exist but when I gave him the part number then he was able to find it. However the list price was $4,500. I mean seriously WTF!!!! I would almost break down to buy it but that doesn't even include installation.

Anybody have any ideas how we can petition the price of this thing down a bit? If they could do it for $4,000 after being installed by the dealer then I would go for it. But not $4,500 + install.

The reason I want installation is because I'm having which ever boost kit gets installed to be insured and it has to be installed by a dealership for them to insure it.

ImageImage
Defined Parts

Post Edited (02-05-06 4:55 PM)

Re: [B]ECO[/B]TEC 2.2L Supercharger finally available
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:46 PM
wait....he could acctually order it for you??? so you can finally buy this thing?

and i agree that price is crazy....i was under the impression 3grand+instalation

does the kit have an intercooler?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:51 PM
Yes you can order it now. It came out yesterday. I am not sure if it includes the intercooler. From my understanding it is supposed to, the only difference is it is just plugged and you have to hook it up yourself, but nobody will know until someone purchases it.

Also I called a specific GM Performance Dealership and the person told me $3,000 so I think it depends.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Re: [B]ECO[/B]TEC 2.2L Supercharger finally availa
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:55 PM
what I wonder is if the fuel mods and reflash are included in this package. And yeah that price is a bit steep. For 3000 $ I would buy it though...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:49 PM
The ECOnator (Encriptor) wrote:Well,

I called my dealership and by just asking them specifically for the 2.2L supercharger the guy told me it didn't exist but when I gave him the part number then he was able to find it. However the list price was $4,500. I mean seriously WTF!!!! I would almost break down to buy it but that doesn't even include installation.

Just because it appears doesn't mean it's available to be ordered. It's been in the dealer computers for ages now. I got a quote on it from my dealership 7 months ago.

Quote:

Anybody have any ideas how we can petition the price of this thing down a bit? If they could do it for $4,000 after being installed by the dealer then I would go for it. But not $4,500 + install.

After the loss GM took on the 2.4L kit you ain't getting GM to drop their price on this at all. Good try though.

Quote:

The reason I want installation is because I'm having which ever boost kit gets installed to be insured and it has to be installed by a dealership for them to insure it.

That sucks. My insurance will cover anything...even if it's installed by me. Your auto insurance covers ANY permanent modifications as long as they're legal. That's why if your radio is stolen your insurance will pay for it. Might want to call your insurance company and give them the major WTF.

Also...why couldn't you just add to the thread already going?

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:00 PM
Quote:

Just because it appears doesn't mean it's available to be ordered. It's been in the dealer computers for ages now. I got a quote on it from my dealership 7 months ago.

I'm not talking quote I mean they finally told me they have it in stock to order. I had been getting quotes for the last 2 years as well with estimated ship dates and all that. They told me last time that there was a definite availablility as of January 30th and so I called today and they told me yes they can get it and it was $4,500.

Quote:

After the loss GM took on the 2.4L kit you ain't getting GM to drop their price on this at all. Good try though.

Well a price drop could be realistic. I understand that they took a hit on the price but $4,500 when I know for a fact they are paying like $2,800. I mean I know the dealer has to make their cut but a 62% mark up? That's why I decided to call a certified GM Goodwrench Performance Shop and they told me a price of $3,000. Sounded much better to me. He also told me it was 10 hours of install so toltal cost would be about $4,000 and that included hooking up the intercooler and installing injectors, plus reflash.

Quote:

That sucks. My insurance will cover anything...even if it's installed by me. Your auto insurance covers ANY permanent modifications as long as they're legal. That's why if your radio is stolen your insurance will pay for it. Might want to call your insurance company and give them the major WTF.

I agree with you it does sound like some stupid @!#$. But then again welcome to NJ auto insurance. We have lots of fun trying to get half decent prices, or even have an insurance company stay in NJ. The state law says any product that did not come with the car is not street legal and therefor not insureable. I asked my company a couple times and they told me any GM Authorized part they will insure but it must be installed at my dealership. I had hassle having them insure my head unit because it wasn't installed professionally so I had to take it to a shop that would take it out and put it back in for me (well at least they said they did) and then finally I was able to get it insured.

Quote:

Also...why couldn't you just add to the thread already going?

Because I haven't been following the thread, I didn't see it as a sticky, and when I did a search there where so many ECOTEC Supercharger threads I didn't know if there really was an official one.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:02 PM
I was refering to the one like 3 or 4 posts down about it being available. LOL.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:44 PM
this looks like far too much of a circus to me

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:01 PM
I was hoping maybe it would be like 3g -3500 installed with intercooler, but for that price , i could order the hahn stage two .

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:15 PM
.JerseyKid. wrote:I was hoping maybe it would be like 3g -3500 installed with intercooler, but for that price , i could order the hahn stage two .

and be MUCH faster.......

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:44 PM
Lee wrote:
.JerseyKid. wrote:I was hoping maybe it would be like 3g -3500 installed with intercooler, but for that price , i could order the hahn stage two .

and be MUCH faster.......

Lee

I would hope so.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:37 PM
well if the price gets down to something reasonable, it's the best deal for someone wanting to make in the low 200 whp range. This kit + header and exhaust will probably put you somewhere around 220 whp (just guesstimating). For me that would be great and this kit is probably much less of an hassle than any turbo kit.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:57 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:well if the price gets down to something reasonable, it's the best deal for someone wanting to make in the low 200 whp range. This kit + header and exhaust will probably put you somewhere around 220 whp (just guesstimating). For me that would be great and this kit is probably much less of an hassle than any turbo kit.

Yeah thats true, and i would be able to keep my exhaust , i would just want it to be intercooled and maybe low 14s?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:13 PM
i was running 8PSI to make 222WHP and was running mid to high 13s.

why waste 3K for 14s when you can spend 3500 for 12s?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:24 PM
^^^id do it for driveablity.....i just dont see a 12 sec car being all that reliable (or maybe i underestimate the getrag/eco combo)

but i think this kit will produce high 13's with a good driver and a few bolt on's

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:35 PM
ummm dude...have you not paid attention to ANYTHING about my car? I drive my car EVERY DAY. I don't have a beater car. I drive this car 365 days a year.

Oh...and it's a 12 second car.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:42 PM
i have deffintly kept up on your car, and it amazes me what you do......but how many other people are in the same boat as you? to many people going for looks now a days and not gettin the full potential from the eco like you have.

if this kit is 4500 bucks no way in hell im buying it, ill be probably buying the stage 2 kit from you, so don't get in to much of a flame war with me

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:53 PM
not going for a flame war....just letting you know that a 12 second J is a VERY streetable car. Just because more people don't do it doesn't mean I'm a rarity

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:31 PM
Does anyone think that gas milage will suffer a bunch from adding on this super charger? more strain on the engine and all. I use my car all everyday and if I can still get in the uper 20's mpg I would be happy with the s/c.

any ideas?

"Smoked"
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:35 PM
i get 24MPG now still on 6PSI daily

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:46 PM

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:12 AM
04SilvrChvy wrote:Much cheaper than 4500 bucks.

My girl just got her 2.4 charger from there

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:05 AM
04SilvrChvy wrote:Much cheaper than 4500 bucks.

Very true, but at the bottom it says "Pre-order your kits today" . So does that mean they dont have them either?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:41 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:i was running 8PSI to make 222WHP and was running mid to high 13s.

you mean 13s. I don,t know if you saw what airtonics did with his "stock-except charger" eco, but he was running 14.2. Add a header and exhaust to that and he'll be running mid to high 13's.

Since not everyone is willing to risk his engine to make 12 second passes at 16 psi, the charger makes that much more sense in that it's a GM part and will probably net much better reliability.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:06 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy)
Yesterday 7:13 PM

i was running 8PSI to make 222WHP and was running mid to high 13s.

x2

The eco motor went through hell in R&D with lots of boost and NO2 throw at it and all it did was take it. The only weak link is the conntecting rods replace those and your good for high hp.

Dave
A new breed of J will be unleashed in 06
Creating the E-RACER one mod at a time
Member of J-Factor
Member of Wisc's J's
1/4 mile 16.084 @ 84.90 (Stock Z) 01 SPDY Z24
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search