Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:50 PM
Been meaning to do this for a awhile but haven't had the time to commit. I bought this car from another jbo member in July of 2012. I purchased it with a lot of work already complete; first time I've EVER done that. Previously installed items were:

GMPP MP62 Supercharger kit
Tokico D-Spec Struts
H&R springs
Poly control arm and sway bar bushings
Pacesetter LSJ header
2.5" custom mandrel bent exhaust
Magnaflow hi-flow cat
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
TTR solid lower motor mount
K&N Filter

Anyway, on with the pics..

I love the yellow. Some people will hate, but I think it's downright sexy.

Under the hood

Shortly after purchasing I purchased and installed come goodies of my own:

AEM Wideband

ZZP S3 Heat Exchanger

Installed

Pump and bracket I snagged from css

The hoses

Some brackets I made

Space between the rad and the heat exchanger. Still thinking about stuffing some fans in there

Behind the grill. "the spirit of Massachusetts is the spirit of America.." love my Family Guy...hate Massachusetts.

At the same time I completed all this work I did the best thing I could ever have done for this car. I ditched the !#!@$# gm reflash and got a custom tune from Oldskool. The difference was night and day and I couldn't be happier with the results. Sorry no pics of Ryan, lol. Anyway, about a month later I got the wise idea to try out the drag strip and see what the car can do. With my lack of experience and tranny mounts, disaster struck..

The diff decided it wanted a little fresh air

Since I was stranded in Mass and not in my home town in PA where I do all my work, I had to pay someone to fix it. To this day it still chaps my @#! because they definitely broke an ABS wire someone that I have yet to find and repair. I found a used f23 in a yard for 275 and paid 500 for the labor. It could have been worse but knowing I could have done it myself really hurts. I HATE having someone else work on my car like that. Anyway, after getting it repaired I made another trip home and installed a racetronix w-body pump. Everything I read said it was a direct fit but that is FALSE. It's actually a little too skinny and needs some sort of isolator that I didn't have at the time. I left it the way it's pictured and haven't had any trouble for a few months now...

Pump in the housing

The hose seemed a little long too

It was cold that morning, snapped a cool pic

While I was digging around in the shop I found these little gems. 8 Lucas 42lb/hr injectors!

Recently I installed some poly trans mounts to help me get out of the box at the track without losing a diff. I can't believe the difference they made. I was skeptical that they would help anything but after having them installed it spins the wheels so smoothly its like I'm on glass.

This also happened recently too

Finally I'm compiling another pile of parts to install for the coming season. 3.1 modular pulley system from ZZP, Jason Norwood's injector cups to use the 42#ers I found as freebees, and the harness to connect to them since they're EV1 style.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking everyone! Updates coming soon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:51 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:31 PM
looks good, way to go, it sucks to pay someone to do the work, but what can ya do.

Cant wait for updates
Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:59 PM
Thanks man. It was a @!$# situation but I won't be over it until I find and fix the abs issue.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:12 PM
clean and simple, i dig it. you'll love the smaller pulley for the m62.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:59 PM
Hp tuned or reflashed??

Why im wondering is I am on the reflash and im curious how quickly the afr drops and what to when you floor it.

Im 90% sure I have an issue.

Oh yah...and looks good! Keep it up.
Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:10 PM
finally got to see your car sick man can wait to meet up

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:15 PM
Nice, clean and simple. I've always liked an O.E.M. look. Keep up the work, it's coming along nicely!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:34 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm trying to keep it as non-ricey as possible. Plus, I love being a sleeper.

Philly it's custom tuned with hpt. Target afr is ~11:1 under boost and doesn't start leaning out until 6500rpm (i'm just plain out of fuel at that point). It drops almost immediately when I mash it. What trouble are you having? I still have the reflash laying around if you want me to get some data with it.

Al1A5 I can't wait for spring to toss this 3.1 on with the bigger injectors. I'm dying to make that thing scream at 7k.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:06 PM
Looks good man, loving the simple look. Keep up the good work!

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:56 AM
Car looks great keep up the good work. And I love the simple clean look your going for.

Also I hear you on paying someone to do work I once had no choice but to pay a shop to do something hated the whole ordeal.
Friday, January 18, 2013 8:16 AM
Nice man, so did you end up getting the isolator for the fuel pump, or is the pump just chillin in there?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:51 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Nice man, so did you end up getting the isolator for the fuel pump, or is the pump just chillin in there?

It's just chillin for now. I know with the sock on its not going anywhere, its just annoying. But I really don't feel like drilling the heat shield out again so its gonna be awhile until I fix it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, January 18, 2013 10:20 AM
Gotcha, I asked because thats how mine is right now and I have yet to start the car.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, January 18, 2013 12:22 PM
Good build so far. I didn't realize Ryan tuned you...only person I'd ever trust to tune me. You'll love the 3.1 pulley...that combined with Ryan's magic and you'll be burning through tires in no time, haha!

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:49 PM
The car looks great!!

Do you get any crazy vibrations with the trans mounts?

For the ABS problem. make sure you check the terminal tension at the sensors. I find a lot of spread terminals on ABS connectors. Also check for wires broken inside the insulation at the connectors and also a few inches down the around where they clip onto the control arms. Somtimes they break from moving up and down with the control arm, and left and right when you turn the wheels.
Friday, January 18, 2013 8:03 PM
Interesting work and too bad on the trans issue.Car does look simple,and with all the extras hidden even better.Nice car.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:43 AM
Thanks all for the comments!

WHITECAVY wrote:Gotcha, I asked because thats how mine is right now and I have yet to start the car.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at all, mine's been going strong for months with no issues. Biggest thing is getting the venturi line as tight as possible. Also you really do have to prime it on a cold start to get it running.

EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Good build so far. I didn't realize Ryan tuned you...only person I'd ever trust to tune me. You'll love the 3.1 pulley...that combined with Ryan's magic and you'll be burning through tires in no time, haha!

I can't wait dude, I look at the pulley every day just wishing it was warmer. And yeah Ryan's the only guy I'll have tune my car. I'm from Lebanon so that's where I do all my work. I think he actually called you the last time I was there getting some fine tuning done. We were looking for an idle air control valve thinking mine was faulty.

JAY (Qwank) wrote:Do you get any crazy vibrations with the trans mounts?

Almost none at all. I was worried about that myself. As for the ABS, it's just a matter of getting home so I can put it up on the lift and tear the harness apart. Thanks for the tips!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:54 PM
Those two crinckle lines on the fuel pump... Can you buy just those lines? And if you can, where can they be bought? I got a Walbro a while back and it didn't have the lines, and since I was short on time and money, I bought some high-pressure fuel lines from a local parts store. Problem being, when you compress the pump housing, it kinks off the feed line. I trimmed it as short as I could and haven't had issues, I'd just rather have the proper parts in there.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:10 AM
Evan go to racetronix website and they sell the hose separate.

Nice build so far. Who did you buy the car off of?

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:17 AM
I bought it from Sam Didio. I think this was his only post, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:20 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:I can't wait dude, I look at the pulley every day just wishing it was warmer. And yeah Ryan's the only guy I'll have tune my car. I'm from Lebanon so that's where I do all my work. I think he actually called you the last time I was there getting some fine tuning done. We were looking for an idle air control valve thinking mine was faulty.

Lol, I remember him calling me now, didn't know it was you he was tuning or I would've stopped by to check it out in person. Didn't realize you were so close by. You should stop by some of our KGM meets, should be back to a monthly meet status soon.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:54 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Lol, I remember him calling me now, didn't know it was you he was tuning or I would've stopped by to check it out in person. Didn't realize you were so close by. You should stop by some of our KGM meets, should be back to a monthly meet status soon.

So the catch is that I live in Boston now. But I come home on the regular, usually for car work. I'm definitely down to meet some KGM guys so let me know when the next meet is. I'm heading down early this spring to install all these goodies so I can try and match it up with one of those meets. If not I'll be sure to let you know when I'm in town, I'd love to see your build. I'll definitely have Ryan over for a retune on that weekend too.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:08 PM
JUCNBST wrote:Evan go to racetronix website and they sell the hose separate.

Nice build so far. Who did you buy the car off of?

Thanks a ton, man.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:12 AM
The 3.1 was ok, but the 2.9 was better.

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:19 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:The 3.1 was ok, but the 2.9 was better.

!@#% it Tinkles, stop smashing my dreams! I bet the tvs was even better. I don't feel like messing with belts and/or idlers right now so I thought I'd start with a 3.1. I bought the modular hub expecting to get bored with the 3.1 eventually, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search