blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build - Page 9 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build
Monday, September 09, 2013 10:40 AM
What about the price of it? I thought I read somewhere here on J-bo that the lsj TOB is 1/3 the price, but just a little fab to get the line hooked up?

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:06 AM
the F23/L61 slave is a lot more compared to the LNF/LSJ throw out bearings. But then again they only come with the tob part, not the rest of it. But as far as i know, the bearing part itself is the same amongst all three really.

the custom work isnt all that much. PJ did it where he just bought the $30 elbow, some fittings, tubing, and bent it to fit as needed. Then the master cylinder line runs into that elbow and the other end goes through the tranny housing into the throw out bearing. But with the F23 stock set up, i can literally bolt in the new one, master plugs directly back in, done. on rockauto it was $99 shipped for a brand new one, name brand (same as from the dealer). At the dealer, the F23 slave set up at employee cost is still like $208. LNF was about $60 at the dealer. So yeah, F23 is a lot more expensive but the $99 price i found to just plug n play was worth it to me. Plus i can sell the LNF/LSJ one back as they go brand new for $70+ or so online.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, September 09, 2013 11:17 AM
Thought I'd ask. Plus if you did use brake line, you could paint it and make it an accent color that would look pretty cool. Like YELLOW, best color in the world! lol

Monday, September 09, 2013 12:05 PM
So if I wanted to run the lsj upgraded clutch, all I would need is the spacer correct? /threadjack

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:33 AM
correctomundo! in theory anyways lol

I have yet to test the adapters usefulness, but i suspect upon getting home from work today the GMPP clutch should be waiting for me. This weekend I plan on getting the engine/tranny all buttoned up and ready to drop in. So we'll see! I may install the tranny without the spacer just to test and see

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:04 PM
I'm planning on dropping my motor and tranny in too this weekend... Well not both engines and trannys in your car!
Can't wait to see yours when its in. Take some pics of your "new" clutch setup so we all can see what

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:04 PM
it looks like

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:22 PM
well to be honest, the clutch/pressure plate wont really look much different than stock. its a thicker material or has stronger springs or something, but you can see it on crateenginedepot.com (http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-LSJ-Clutch-Upgrade-Kit-19212712-P10781C701.aspx)

It should be at my front door as we speak (chris, you stay away from my house!!)
but i have class from 6pm-1030pm tonight so it wont be going in tonight.
prob work on it tomorrow through Friday so i can get everything set by this weekend.

i cant wait either. i miss driving a standard, i miss accerlating onto the highway and hearing the whine, and i miss going to meets and hanging out. just not the same with my truck

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:39 PM
so the GMPP clutch kit looks almost 100% identical to the stock one....so Im not sure what exactly is different...

And here are some random pics from this past weekend of the parts and what not.... now that I've got the clutch kit and everything is good, the only thing CED forgot to do was put the alignment tool in with the clutch (that I paid for). he's 2 day shipping it so I should see it by Thursday. I also ordered the very last oil cooler adapter plate that Unique Fabricating had on hand. They said they weren't going to make anymore at this time since the interest was so low, but they can if people want more at some point. Kind of expensive for just an adapter plate without any hardware (or even new orings), but it'll look good. Now I just have to figure out what fittings to buy for it for now to loop it off (I think 1/2" NPT fittings he might have said). BTW, Tom and Judy at Unique Fabricating are really nice people. Sounds like he's worked with a lot of Ecotecs over the years, so I may talk to him about future custom parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:42 PM

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:11 PM
so...apparently its possible I already HAD a GMPP upgrade clutch. I bought it used off monograt who sold it to me as a lightly used 'stock' LSJ clutch. So maybe I can sell the used upgraded clutch with the brand new TOB from the new kit and even the pressure plate bolts as a package...interesting...

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:03 AM
For a clutch alignment tool just find a deep socket that's very close to the size and use it, that's what I did, works like a champ.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:20 AM
I see the difference... Can't you tell the new one is shiny?

Did you say my car looks slow??
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:44 AM
Snowman, yeah I figured for the cheap price I'd do it proper. I havent ever done my own clutch or transmission work so I wanted to do it right. Ill keep that in mind though! CED is shipping me the tool and it should be here by tomorrow.

Abe, yeah now that you mention it..the new one is shinier!! lol

The only downside to putting a brand new clutch is the clutch break in period. with the used one I wouldnt really need it.
But Im going to need to have the car properly tuned with HPTuners once its all back together, but i wont be able to too much hard driving for a few hundred miles. I want to say the break in for clutches is what, 500-900 miles or something of normal driving?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:27 AM
I would agree with that amount. The break in period disclaimer for my stage 3 Spec clutch kit is "500 miles. Preferably in town (Stop and go). Before you do any 'power launching', 'power shifting' or such like will void the warranty" paraphrased, since I threw my disclaimer away lol

Did you say my car looks slow??
Friday, September 20, 2013 11:48 PM
well I got the CPS rigged up and after I figure out the exact distance it needs to be from the Trigger wheel, Ill mount it into place and its ready for install.

Just a few pics from today (including my old 6puck clutch that was slipping MAD during 2nd gear burnouts, now I know why)....

Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:48 AM
Sweet!

GMR has got nothing on this
Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:07 PM
set up is done for the CPS. I just need to figure out if this placement is going to be safe. Im talking about the sensor at a SLIGHT angle. it is actually 1/8" from the TW edge and clears the Crank pulley just fine. Under heavy acceleration and full RPM range, is another story (vibrations can do things..) Its tricky because the Trigger Wheel is recessed from the Crank Pulley so it'll hit if you get too close. You have to kind of come out a little from the bracket (see pics, reference the shimming with washers).

Gotta put the thermostat piping back on but I want to replace the thermostat, so Ill wait right now, maybe hit up AZ. Then I need to make an extension for the CPS and figure out what fittings I need to loop the oil cooler adapter with (two 90* fittings will be simple) and she is DONE. Well..the motor anyways.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:13 PM

Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:36 PM
Looks great man keep it up!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:50 PM
thanks...but Im hesitant to drop the motor back in until I can find out if the position is legit, and ensure the TW is in the proper position as far as notch placement when bolting down the Crank bolt. Id hate to get it in then find out its off. Or what I'm fearing is if the engine goes back in and the bracket is too far out and wont fit...that will suck balls...

But I did pick up a brand new thermostat (the Duralast one for the Cavaliers is identical to the Cobalt ones, they don't even offer alternative options). Also got the TW all painted up Cherry Orange. And Ive purchased some wire to extend the CPS connector (and like Matt said, ill be sure to twist the pair of wires good to prevent interference).

Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:22 AM
In response to your post in Haveblue

Typically the anodized fittings are for -an lines. Ive never saw a npt fitting unless it was changing from npt to -an.

That being said from pictures you wouldnt be able to do what you want. you want to face both fitting towards eachother and connect them with a very short line like a couple inches? If your going to convert from NPT to -an with 90* fittings and such your kinda wasting money. Thats like $30 in fittings...atleast where I live

The cheapest way to get fittings is the plumbing isle of Home depot or airline fittings from any parts place. Youll need to decide on a inner hose diameter you want and a fitting that will fit that and also the thread size on the adapter. It looks to be 1/2" but really hard to tell from pics.

The AFPR you bought is for the LS1? Is it the one thats made to fit our rails like Yellowcavs or is it just a random one?
Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:27 PM
I guess I don't know what Im asking then...as I said I don't work with fittings very often. Basically yes, I just want to loop two 90* fittings and make it look neat at the same time.

so for the oil adapter, its basically the threaded fitting on one end (screws into the adapter) and then a nipple on the other end to put hose onto. Then just run rubber hose or something between the two. I figured it would be that simple but I get confused about about braided lines sometimes because I bought some for a vacuum line and (for the boost gauge) and the anodized part was just for looks, it didn't have threading on it.

the AFPR..did you mean LSJ not LS1? But I bought it for the L61 fuel rail, for my 04. I was hoping to use it. I understand it basically has 2 lines for IN and 1 line for OUT, then the vacuum line. Im just not 100% sure on how to tap into the fuel lines and prep everything for install. I guess I need to go tear it apart and really see it. Im a visual learner and once I see it online it makes complete sense

Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:25 PM
For the afpr I mean Lt1. It bolts right onto our fuel rail like a stock afpr. Yellowcav knows the correct number as there is a couple versions.

You can use any one though but it will be more costly and more work.

Something like this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeromotive-13107-94-97-LT1-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-/360737066209?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fd9acce1&vxp=mtr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:28 PM
Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:37 PM
oh..no mine is external. I see what you're talking about now.

And I went and got some proper aluminum angle that will be a bit sturdier and allow me to rearrange the sensor so its not sticking out so far...giving me more clearance from the engine bay.

But I bought some 1/2" fittings for the oil cooler adapter. 1/2" threading to 1/2" ID nipple/nozzle, so I could run a short bit of hose between them. However, I got home and the fittings don't work. They'll thread in but they are loose and don't fit properly for my taste. So Ill need to take care of that later, at least before turning the car over..but its not dire.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:34 PM
Philly D wrote:Yellowcav knows the correct number as there is a couple versions.

Aeromotive #13106 13107 and 13106 are the same thing except the fittings are rotated 180* to accommodate both fuel rails on an LT1.

Since you're going external what you have will be fine. Do you have any pics of how the an fitting is installed on the fuel rail? Just curious how you made that work or if you used some sort of gm adapter. You'll love it though, the boost reference is clutch.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:06 PM
Stock is boost referenced as well
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search