FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 12 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Friday, March 31, 2006 11:28 AM
Brandon Crawford wrote:#74 bulbs fer the hvac and gauge cluster right guys? cuz im gonna head to autozone n pick up some bulbs fer my hvac in a few minutes.

Nope, you only got half of it right.............

The #74's are only for the HVAC... and theres 2....

The cluster, you can't use those bulbs, and you gotta figure somethig else to do for that........ I wish it was just that easy........
Youre confusing the pre 2000 clusters with the post 2000, but either way, the post 2000 uses #194's......

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Friday, March 31, 2006 2:11 PM
aaah well, i couldnt find em neway (our autozone scuks uncontrolled amounts of balls) so i guess i am safe for now. thanks anyway though.

Friday, March 31, 2006 7:42 PM
www.superbrightleds.com

Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:51 AM
okay, how many do i need for my cluster (194s right?) and how many do i need for my hvac (74s) btw, did you guys ever cover making the needles glow, cuz thats pretty kick @$$

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:44 PM
needle colors? anyone? maaaaaayyyybeee?

Saturday, April 01, 2006 10:50 PM
4 194's for the cluster (for mine at least, don't know about an 01)
2 74's for the HVAC

The needles color will change to whatever color LEDs you put in. If you want to make them a different color than that... I don't know, lol, but post it up if you find an easy way to do so!

Sunday, April 02, 2006 1:05 PM
well i will chim in here after a long silence! If you plan on changing the cluster and HVAC lights you need 4 194 bulbs, and 3 74 bulbs. Get leds they work alot better! The third 74 is for the odometer! if you need more info on that ask away ill explan then. Now as for the film... If some i can some how pick up a sunfire cluster i will find away to get that film off! but no money as of now so its going to haveto wait. Sorry guys looks like every one is doing good! keep up the good works guys!

Buzz keep them in line lol Wish i could help out more on here but ive been buisy getting the house ready for the new toys of the family

Sunday, April 02, 2006 5:19 PM
rawkfist wrote:The third 74 is for the odometer! if you need more info on that ask away ill explan then.

I used a standard #74 bulb (not LED) to replace my odometer, and that made it work again. I'm not sure what putting a colored LED behind it would look like. Just making sure everyone knows that a normal bulb WILL fix the odometer not lighting problem!

Sunday, April 02, 2006 10:19 PM
alkatmsu OR rawkfist OR any1 else that might know the answer to this question.

from what i understand, you guys have the 1999 or older cars, and know what youre talking about........ but since i don't have an older model Cav, and you do, and i have no way of testing this, i wanted to see if you knew which wire going into the cluster, is the "lights" wire..... and also, which is the ground for them ?
more specifically, which pinout, or if you know the ire colors, could you show me a pic of the plug, and i can get the pinout of them.......

Thank you mucho........

Sunday, April 02, 2006 10:44 PM
buzz122 wrote:Brandon Crawford-------> no there is no simple and easy way to chnage the lights on that particular cluster

Godspeed---------> granted we can figure out that youre a sunfire, but what year would be helpfull......... and depends on who you talk to, or if you doit yourself......

i have a 99 Se

...now what?

Monday, April 03, 2006 3:48 AM
^would think u will either need to get a 95-99 cav cluster or take a try at trying to scrape all the red tint off the back and then but blue #194 LEDs

Monday, April 03, 2006 7:17 AM
Godspeed ----------> what color are you planning on going to ?

Monday, April 03, 2006 12:52 PM
Buzz --> in response to your earlier question, the plug on the 99 uses terminal A9 (gray) for the interior lamp feed, and the ground can be B9 (black) which is right under it. It feeds the four lights plus the odo light. If you look at the plug with the clip on top, they are fourth from right with ground on the bottom.

As a sidenote, I used the #74 from SuperBLED's for the odo light. It is not as bright as it used to be because the film they use for the digital odo must be opaque or something. I can still read it during the day, it's just dimmer than before.

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:28 PM
Can someone get a pic up of the digital odometer in a 99 with an led? I'm trying to decide if I wanna change that one as well or if I just wanna keep the orangy look. Thanks

"Man with my windows tinted and badges gone I'll be able to do 200 mph easy. Do stickers add horsepower?"

Monday, April 03, 2006 8:26 PM
ok..... i tried to do this to my 2001 cavy. when i took the cluster out finally the bulbs were on the inside of the circuit board. i had a hard time removing the circuit board to access the bulbs. also when i saw the bulb through a crack it seemed to be about half the size of the 194 sized bulbs that i bought. can you help me out. and if its already been mentioned then can you tell me the page that it was mentioned on. i dont want to do any drilling. it also seems that this year is imo the worst just becuase everything either seems to skip this year for parts or items change from this year only such as the gauge cluster.

also... check out the link below!

Check out my car at: http://www.Cardomain.com/ride/707929

Monday, April 03, 2006 8:51 PM
The 194 bulb swap is not for 2000+ gauge clusters. In order to change the color of 2k+ gauge clusters you have to send them somewhere else or re-solder in new leds. I advise sending them to buzz or BlackCatCustoms to get the colors changed on a 2000+ cluster.

Am I right? if not, someone let me know.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:12 AM
thenetdog <---------- thank you for the info...... greatly apreciated

SHOBS <------ digital odo's started in 99 ????? WHAT ??

Silver Bullet < ------------- what Hor said. unless youre confident you can do this yourslef, since you already took the cluster apart.... shoot me an email.........

Hor < --------- thank you, and yes you are right !!!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:14 AM
buzz122 wrote:SHOBS <------ digital odo's started in 99 ????? WHAT ??

He didn't say that, he was asking for a picture of a digital odo lit with a colored LED, compared to the stock bulb (or a white LED I suppose).

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:22 AM
Godspeed wrote:ok, i want to change my clust lights from stock red to blue......

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:23 AM
alkatmsu wrote:
buzz122 wrote:SHOBS <------ digital odo's started in 99 ????? WHAT ??

He didn't say that, he was asking for a picture of a digital odo lit with a colored LED, compared to the stock bulb (or a white LED I suppose).

Yeah, sorry, guess I coulda been a little more clear.

"Man with my windows tinted and badges gone I'll be able to do 200 mph easy. Do stickers add horsepower?"

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:47 PM
SHOBS wrote:..........digital odometer in a 99 with an led? ........

yeah, i dunno how you got all that out of this....... ha ha ........ NEwayz

Godspeed <------- youre not being ignored......... i'm working on a sunfire cluster right now, an i'll let you know the results....

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:12 PM
buzz122 wrote:
SHOBS wrote:..........digital odometer in a 99 with an led? ........

yeah, i dunno how you got all that out of this....... ha ha ........ NEwayz

SHOBS wrote:Can someone get a pic up of the digital odometer in a 99 with an led? I'm trying to decide if I wanna change that one as well or if I just wanna keep the orangy look. Thanks

He wasn't questioning that a 99 had a digital odo, or that earlier models didn't just wanted a picture. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of that also, the only reason I used a plain bulb again is because I wasn't sure what it'd look like with a LED.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:16 PM
on www.superbrightleds.com i can't find any #74 LED for the HVAC. CAn someone post the link with the Orange color? i just dont see where it say #74 LED bulbs

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:00 PM
Here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=3213389.20490&next=50

About halfway down the page, you'll see:

74 Wedge Base LED bulb
Small Wedge Base LED bulb (74 type)
3/16 inch wide base, 13/16 inch overall length
Flat tipped LED produces wide beam angle

You can select the color and quanity right there also.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:46 AM
Got my camera working for night pics, so here is a pic to show the 95-99 cluster in green
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/manta_z/DSC00059.jpg

and also have my license plate bulb replaced with a 194 led
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/manta_z/DSC00079.jpg

and also did the glove box and hvac
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/manta_z/DSC00080.jpg

pics are pretty big so i didnt make em show up in the post, just click the links

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search