FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 14 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:27 AM
I think I might be better off buying a Cavalier cluster and then change it to blue... anyone interested on doing this for me?

Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:35 AM
what all do you have, as far as the cluster, i have one for a manual one...

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:55 PM
those are not bulbs in there, what that is, is a type of an electron filament, that reacts to electricity and "glows" when activated...... i think, but definatly no bulbs

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:15 PM
Since there's no info on switching the cluster lights in 99 sunfire to blue, any opinions on this product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8055761432
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:40 PM
buzz122 wrote:what all do you have, as far as the cluster, i have one for a manual one...
Well, this is what I have...

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:08 AM
i have a 2000 cav cluster for sale lol

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:16 AM
dirty elf wrote:i have a 2000 cav cluster for sale lol
Will it fit mine? I got a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire.

Friday, April 14, 2006 6:06 PM
The lights at around 50mph do not work and the odomerter will not give a mileage reading on my sunfire cluster. What do I have to do to change this. I got it from a junkyard.

Best Time 15.917 at 86.86MPH

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:53 PM
Lito, im pretty sure it wont, he has a digital odometer and you don't. 2000+ has digital odometers, I think 99 does too but im not sure. Im fairly positive you will probably have to find a Cavalier with the same mileage as you in order to swap clusters.

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:20 PM
i'm going to have 6 194 red leds for spare when mine come in if any one wants to buy mine

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:43 AM
yea some 99s have digi odometers

and unless u do mine wont work

sorry pal

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:08 PM
dirty elf wrote:yea some 99s have digi odometers

and unless u do mine wont work

sorry pal
my 98 have a digi odometer

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:09 PM
Lito --- No that will not fit. The 00-02 are different shape. you could make it work after a couple hours and a crap load of pasionts to get it done. On the 95-99 there are two plugs. one plug is for the signal the sencers read for all of the actual gauges... like the speedometer, tach ,etc...
then there is another plug to actual power the gauges and alows the gauges to actually work. so the second plug is actualy a switch to allow the gauges to work. if you can do it i personally will giver you a grand in cash face to face! i have looked at it tested it and everything but its vertually impossible to do it.

first cav24 --- did you do a light swap? if not then you have blown bulbs. if you have the light swap check your connections. and for the odometer you need to upgrade that light. hard to discribe it in simple terms.

hor --- everything from 95-05 is digital odometer! al everything is stored in the ecu so you would only need to do a cluster swap.

lito again or who ever --- if theres some one out there that can get a cheap sunfire cluster ... 95-99 style ... i will be willing to buy it off you. i will look at how it all works and make a "HOW TO" for you sunfire guys! but thats if the clsuter will be like 10-15 bucks.... money is minimal right now cars getting upgraded soon. So if any one out there has a 95-99 cluster please post on here ... pm me .... or emails me at dark_new_day9@hotmail.com

Monday, April 17, 2006 8:02 PM
The bulbs work now in the cluster, just gave it a good wack and now they work. the odometer still doesn't light up and was wondering how to remove the needles to get to the bulbs?

Best Time 15.917 at 86.86MPH

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:32 PM
hit again... you have the newer cluster.... all leds. none of them can be burnt out. if it still doesn't light up eather take it to the dealer the get it fixed or buy a new cluster, or just leave it. right now idk your state of understanding the cluster enought to do the light swap in the odometer. if you do email/pm me i dont want to talk about it over here because i dont want to be liable for anything anyone else does outside of my information.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:09 PM
well im not gonna read thru 14 pages of post so im just gonna ask.
for the gauge cluster on a 99 Z24 is it better to have the domed LEDs or the inverted ones.
and all the 99 cav clusters have digital odometers and some 98s do. just an F.Y.I.

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:39 AM
Lito wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-Pontiac-Sunfire-AUTO-White-Face-Glow-Gauges_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43952QQitemZ8056790096QQrdZ1

Are those any hard to install?

Yeah, I'd like to know about difficulty on this one as well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVER-NUMBER-REVERSE-GLOW-GAUGE-SUNFIRE-95-99-98-AT106_W0QQitemZ8058066323QQcategoryZ43952QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also would like to know if anyone has bought this and if it's worth it. Mine's on it's way to my house this week.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:23 AM
rawk- u figure out that power source yet?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:54 PM
Lito -- you will need to pull the needles on that one! you need to pull the needles on all new face gauges.

drocherz24 --- no ... i had it up and running but a capaciter blew up. also wrecking some other things. the people who sent me the cap sent me the wrong one. so its still on hold for even longer

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:57 PM
Homunculus --- manta z had extremely good luck with the 5 led set up. on pointing streaght out then 4 are around the outside.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:01 PM
ok man just keep me in the loop

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:44 PM
rawkfist wrote:hor --- everything from 95-05 is digital odometer! al everything is stored in the ecu so you would only need to do a cluster swap.

Not 100% sure on this one but I think the mileage is stored in the cluster on the 95-99 models, and stored in the BCM on the 00+ models. That's the only reason why I havent swapped a Cavalier cluster into my 99 Sunfire.

rawkfist wrote:Lito -- you will need to pull the needles on that one! you need to pull the needles on all new face gauges.

Actually a lot of the gauge faces you find on ebay do not require removal of the needles. Most of them have large enough holes so that you can point all the needles up and slide the new face over them. At least thats how the ones I had for my 97 Sunfire were.

Friday, April 28, 2006 7:34 AM
Does anyone know if you can do 2 tone gages? like the gas/temperature and the tach one colour, then the speedo another colour. i think it would be pretty cool.

its a 98 by the way, so its the easier method.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search