FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 8 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Saturday, February 25, 2006 2:39 PM
thanks nick, is the second pic with them dimmed down or what? also where did 10 go in the second pic? lmao it just looks like the hazard switch got in the way.. took me a while staring at that pic before i realized teh hazard switch is there..

I cant wait till i get mine! ill have pics for people in green when i get them installed..

Sunday, February 26, 2006 4:04 AM
before i threw away the package i was looking in there lol they also sent me a free air freshener

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:18 PM
5 tip led in green

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:33 PM
Friggin' sweet. Glad to see you fixed the dim gas guage. Is the pic close to actual light level?

I am DEFINETLY doing this over spring break.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:33 AM
there actually brighter in person my digi cam sucks big time
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:02 AM
That looks really good.........
glad to se eit in the right thread, and glad to see that the fuel side is fixed.
Do you know what the issue with that was ?

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:43 AM
robert polep wrote:there actually brighter in person my digi cam sucks big time

You should have a setting where you can increase the exposure time. It takes some experimenting to get right, and the value changes whenever you move the camera, vehicle, have different light, etc. It's mostly a matter of getting to know your camera.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 5:22 PM
buzz122 wrote:That looks really good.........
glad to se eit in the right thread, and glad to see that the fuel side is fixed.
Do you know what the issue with that was ?

i didnt have a good connection with the bulb in the socket
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:32 PM
hey you guys after long hard hours of putsing with a breadboard i finally figured out the BEST WAY to get the resisters to stay cool, and to give the best light! So if its ok with buzz i will post a how to or else it will be my little secret!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:55 PM
alkatmsu wrote:
robert polep wrote:there actually brighter in person my digi cam sucks big time

You should have a setting where you can increase the exposure time. It takes some experimenting to get right, and the value changes whenever you move the camera, vehicle, have different light, etc. It's mostly a matter of getting to know your camera.

im barrowing my mom digi cam since she spent like 900 bucks on it so it should give the best picture quality
Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:41 AM
rawkfist <------- for what year clusters ?

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:23 PM
it would be the 00+ cluster!! lol i was a bright person and just slopped the leds in ... stupid on my part by my dad was about to throw everything away so i picked up fast and it seemed as tho i didn't put them in the right way. al of them are upside down so once i get the garage space back for like aday i will switch them and post up a picture of the red leds!

Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:16 PM
I just got another sunfire cluster today so the one i have in my car that buzzs im going to rip apart and see if there is a way to get the red film off gauge itself, then im going to try to place blue or white leds and see how the outcome goes... Has neone tried to dremel off some of the white part of the cluster you know the part that acutally houses the bulbs? I was thinking about it a few days ago and it might work allowin you to get to all the bulbs without removing the needles(this is 00+ cavs and suns) any idea it this might do more harm then good? also if neone wants some used clusters i have about 4 cavalier ones tach and no tach they have crazy glue on them due to gauge faces.
Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:05 PM
ill beat buzz to it but i sugested that and ya he said that it wouldn't glow right... it wouldn't be something most people would do! i was one step ahead of ya there.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:09 PM
BubbaKnoxz wrote:I just got another sunfire cluster today so the one i have in my car that buzzs im going to rip apart and see if there is a way to get the red film off gauge itself, then im going to try to place blue or white leds and see how the outcome goes... Has neone tried to dremel off some of the white part of the cluster you know the part that acutally houses the bulbs? I was thinking about it a few days ago and it might work allowin you to get to all the bulbs without removing the needles(this is 00+ cavs and suns) any idea it this might do more harm then good? also if neone wants some used clusters i have about 4 cavalier ones tach and no tach they have crazy glue on them due to gauge faces.

Go to page 3 and 4... may not be able to remove the tint... A razor blade may be able to scrape it off, but it won't peel. Even the razor blade is not guaranteed.

It's acutally painted/dyed onto the back of the overlay.

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:17 AM
BubbaKnoxz wrote:also if neone wants some used clusters i have about 4 cavalier ones tach and no tach they have crazy glue on them due to gauge faces.

any cav's with a tach and no glue? w/o the digital odometer?

Friday, March 03, 2006 2:55 PM
well i got my leds in and im confued on step 15 still

step 15. grab your wire cutters and ONLY cut the iner most wire on the bulbs you need to cut twice. Make sure your bulbs turn out like the picture or you need to go get new bulbs.

now my led looks like this(sorry about the blurry pix):

where do i need to cut the inner most wire????

Friday, March 03, 2006 7:15 PM
the cutting is only on the walmart bulbs! sorry for the delay! for the leds just plug them in and install thats it. sorry again for the delay!

Monday, March 06, 2006 7:27 AM
Kardain wrote:
BubbaKnoxz wrote:I just got another sunfire cluster today so the one i have in my car that buzzs im going to rip apart and see if there is a way to get the red film off gauge itself, then im going to try to place blue or white leds and see how the outcome goes... Has neone tried to dremel off some of the white part of the cluster you know the part that acutally houses the bulbs? I was thinking about it a few days ago and it might work allowin you to get to all the bulbs without removing the needles(this is 00+ cavs and suns) any idea it this might do more harm then good? also if neone wants some used clusters i have about 4 cavalier ones tach and no tach they have crazy glue on them due to gauge faces.

Go to page 3 and 4... may not be able to remove the tint... A razor blade may be able to scrape it off, but it won't peel. Even the razor blade is not guaranteed.

It's acutally painted/dyed onto the back of the overlay.

How about with a heat gun and a blade or goof off wouldnt those be able to take the film/Dye? I should be getting the cluster this week to work on ill let you know if it works or not... but is there ne tips on how to get the stock gauge face off the cluster without removing the needles?
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:31 PM
so is there any definitive answer for putting in LED's in the 00+ Cavalier clusters?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:47 PM
for you guys wondering about the red coloring on sunflower hvacs and what not, sand it off. i did that with an olds cutlass cluster and used red film to replace the blue that i sanded off. then i just used the regular 194 bulbs instead of trying to get leds to disperse over the whole face. that will work with 99 and under clusters, too

anyhow, anyone have pics of an 00 cavalier cluster out of the car. specifically the back. i'm getting ready to put purple leds in my gfs cavy again and i want to be sure about how i'm going to do it.

on a side note, you guys said sometimes when you remove the needles on 00 plus clusters the motor shaft comes off with the needle? and if it doesn't, the motor should work fine when you put the needles back on, right?

well, when i did my gf's cluster the first time, i got the needles off without the motor shaft coming out. however, when i put them back on, the gas gauge would not work.

luckily, her friend at the dealer replaced it under warranty. so another word of caution for some of you, don't try to remove the needles from 00+ clusters. even if the drive shafts don't come out of the motors, they may not work right when you put the needles back on.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:28 PM
buzz you have e-mail.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:33 AM
i wish someone would get one made with real brite white LEDs, like the new lexus. hmmmmmm

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:59 PM
Z24 FReQ (Jarett) <--------- i don't get your question

dan fields <----------if you still have that extra cluster, can i have it, or buy it from you ?

Phlatcav <--------- recieved, and replied........

OneBadZ24 <---------- that could be arranged........... i need a donor....

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:01 PM
sorry, it had to be returned for the warranty to apply
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search