FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 5 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:34 PM
ok i have another question....i have noticed that the right side of my cluster (temp gauge) is REALLY dim... i have not pulled the cluster out again to check if the light just isnt making correct contact....primarily cuz its a pain in the arse...anyone else have this problem with their new lights on a 99 or older? i have a 96.....just dont feel like pulling the dash again.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:37 PM
i never had a problem sounds like a bad conection, so sorry but you will need to pull the dash off, or find away to get to the cluster with out fully removing the dash.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:49 PM
rawkfist ----> OKI, heres the deal, I have the needle removal tool, and i use it, a little late for that one

next, if you read a couple of the post i made not too long ago, i stated that i figured out, why the needles get messsd up, and it's gotta do with the gears in the motors not aligning .... also a little late......

another thing, i also know what the led is, that is in the warning lights, but that, i'm gonna have to keep as a trade secret.... theres a few bits of other info, that goes with that, but i will not share.... sorry guys, but i don't want to have someone that is not knowlegable on anything like this, say, " ohh that looks kewl, i'm gonna do that "...... and they end up messing it up.... There are some samples that i'm recieving next week sometime, so i can try a few things....

I wanna know, what kind of wires are you running through the board anyway ???? i'm completely dumbfounded by that.... cuz if youre using LED's that have wires, then it seems like youre ghettofying it...... if youre gonna change the lights, at least do it the right way.... (geezus, here i go again, not trying to flame ya or pick on you)

This is gonna sound like i'm playing favoritism, (in a way it is) but theres only a few people that i would give this info to, and thats only because i've read some of thier threads and posts. Otherwise get a hold of me, and we can talk about doing some custom work.....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:58 PM
wow now i feel like a dumb ass ... I just want to know how the hell other people are suppose to know if they dont know how. Well one way is to ask, i asked and hey i just got my ass chewed. God i love this org now i alway get this so ya if any one from now on wants my help sence about the lights i already found out what number thay are and how to do it so ya what ever. If you guys want pictures of it lite up email me, pm, me, or what not i dought ill even post any more this is a freaken waiste of my time geting bitched at by others.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:04 PM

ummmm.......

buzz122 wrote:.............. not trying to flame ya or pick on you............

.......... or bitch at you either.......

Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:36 PM
Quote:

but that, i'm gonna have to keep as a trade secret.

Agreed. Some people have to have their trade secrets. For my LED tail lights, I don't go telling everyone exactly where or how, but will point into a direction and give advice if they have a question... I just don't take any responsibility if they f-up.

Sometimes people have to learn on their own and make the mistakes... but if it is gonna be a costly one, thats where doing a little bit of research comes handy.

rawkfist, you seem to have a bit of intelligence behind you. You just seem to rush through a project without quite weighing all the options. If for some reason, you don't happen to get an answer to the question that you ask, Google may be your friend.

Either that, or look at your project from another direction. If you were able to post some pics of what you have done so far, perhaps a bit of critique could be made. Don't take this the wrong way, but life is a learning experience. Perhaps someone can shed some light on how to take a different approch on things.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:56 AM
yeah rawk..just post some pics brah...then we can all look at it

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:02 PM
ya i got it im sorry for kind of exploding like that i wasn't haveing a good day. Learning experiences ya i got one yesterday!! I have to spend 280 bucks on my car to make it work again. sorry again and yes i know life is a huge learning experience. Ill try not to have this happen again.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:06 PM
Has any one doen black light leds in there clusters and there HVAC? My brother is absesed with them and he wants to know what they look like. Post them please if you have any pictures.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:07 PM
Blacklight wouldn't light up the HVAC/cluster unless there was something for it to reflect off of... doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:43 PM
ok thanks

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:29 AM
rawkfist ------> whats wrong with your car now?

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:51 AM
Kardain --------> thank you

rawkfist --------> black light, seems interesting, but definatly do-able..... hmmm...

Monday, February 13, 2006 4:01 PM
I thought I would post a few larger pictures that I took when I was doing mine.

Here are a picture of my bulbs, I bought six #194 Blue LEDs (2 extra incase something went wrong during install or shipping) and two #74 Blue LEDs for the HVAC.

Close Up

Here are the screws on the back of the cluster that you have to remove to get the cardboard overlay off. (The cardboard has foil on one side)

Here is whats behind the cardboard.

Unscrew the bulb sockets (Twist counter-clockwise)

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2356/dsc024976kv.jpg

Grab the back of the socket with a pair of pliers or vice grips (worked perfectly for me) and grab either of the metal tabs with a pair of needle noses, squeeze really hard, and pull hard and fast. I figured out this worked the best to remove them because if you are gentle with it the needle noses slip off continuously and make the metal tab harder to grip.

You dont have to worry about breaking them, its simply a plastic socket with a metal tab in it (nothing breakable) So give it a sturdy yank!

Once you get the tabs removed, bend them back into their original shape. (You want to bend the angled piece at the bottom to where its flush with the rest of the tab.

Heres a drawing I made.

Once you have them bent into the right shape, insert your bulb as mentioned in the tutorial (with the wires angled slightly outwards). When the bulb is insterted, push the tabs back into the socket the same way you pulled them out (They should slide right in).

Hold the tabs in place and bend the wire around the ouside of the tab (and if there is enough wire to tuck it between the plastic and the tab, do so) Then solder the wires onto the tab. To check if the solder is good, just wiggle the tab a little bit and make sure it wont pull out easily.

Once they are soldered, simply screw the bulb sockets back into the cluster (Twist clockwise)

Then youre done!!! Im going to be honest, Im not 100% happy with the turnout of mine. The way the bulbs are positioned in the cluster makes it so the top of the Tach and Spedometer dont light up very well. I still think it looks badass though. Here are some pictures of mine! I also did the HVAC, ENJOY!

ALSO, Thanks a TON to buzz112 and rawkfist. This wouldnt have been possible without ur help guys

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:32 PM
WOW Thank you so much........
This should help everyone out sooooooo much.........
Great pics, great instructions, awsome job......

Thank you again....

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:17 PM
buzz122 wrote:Ryan1 -------> if you have pics, please post, i would love to see it.......

Will do as soon as my car gets back. I did the radio also and the HVAC

Ryan1

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:40 PM
I just spent about 2 hours drawing this diagram for a buddy. I hope this helps you guys understand the LED sockets and the metal tabs inside them and how to solder it.

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:42 PM
Thank you for making the diagram for me Nate. I couldnt really understand what u guys were talking about but damn did that help me out.. actually made me less nervous about doing this.. Now im positive on doing this.. i can drive without bulbs in right? cuz i'll need to take them to my gpa's to solder. or just drive and take em out but im gonna install them all at once at home so as long as i can drive without bulbs im good! once again thank you Nate..

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:58 PM
how long does this whole process take? is the procedure the same for a sunfire?
Monday, February 13, 2006 7:06 PM
zeetwanky- what year did you do that on? 99?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Monday, February 13, 2006 7:21 PM
based on the LED being more directional than that of a bulb, does it make a significant light difference? i want my cluster as bright as possible......

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:24 PM
ok i have a question. im a lil lost on step 15

"step 15. grab your wire cutters and ONLY cut the iner most wire on the bulbs you need to cut twice. Make sure your bulbs turn out like the picture or you need to go get new bulbs."

can anyone post a pic of exactly what your supposed to do? thanks.

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:31 PM
i jus looked..u did that on a 99 pics of an 00 ?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Monday, February 13, 2006 8:26 PM
TRD_CAV (poisioncavi) wrote:ok i have a question. im a lil lost on step 15

"step 15. grab your wire cutters and ONLY cut the iner most wire on the bulbs you need to cut twice. Make sure your bulbs turn out like the picture or you need to go get new bulbs."

can anyone post a pic of exactly what your supposed to do? thanks.

Ill get some close up shots if my digital will work. or i will take a picture of it or scetch it and tell you were to cut. Ok? i should have it up tomorrow depending on how long i have to work.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:03 AM
buzz122 wrote:it's oki...... at least you gotta a nice write up all in one post....... congrats and thank you...

what size are the a/c bulbs???
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search