FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:12 AM
Thank you for the green...............

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:32 AM
Ok, the 00+ YES i messed up. the car that i did the supposivly 00 cluster, The car was basicly sold to him almost a week ago and the dealership told him it was a 2000. Now that every one is telling me that its nearly impossible to change the bulbs with out removing the needles i went back to the dudes house and looked to see what year it was and sure enough it was a 99 and this is how i was able to do it... i will be changing this thread ... adding pictures for all people who like to see what to remove... changing some stuff dealing with the 00+. So for now this is only for the 99 and older and for a 99 tahoe, silverado, and a S-10. The new update should come ... monday when i can get ahold of my digital camera. And as soon as i can get my hands on a 00+ cluster ill find some way to get the bulbs out, and change them. Setting a goal, hope it works out. So once i find out this mitical problem ill post it up and hopefully it will get stickyed for all people who dont know how to do it.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:40 PM
Ok if any one wants to know step by step on how to put new lights in the cluster just post it up i will if you ask. I have pictures also. this will only be for the 99 and older.... the 00 + hopefully will be sometime during the week.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:47 PM
rawkfist wrote:Ok if any one wants to know step by step on how to put new lights in the cluster just post it up i will if you ask. I have pictures also. this will only be for the 99 and older.... the 00 + hopefully will be sometime during the week.

I'm interested.

Monday, February 06, 2006 3:01 PM
ok can you wait for a little bit? im ordering leds for my HVAC and im under going a proses on how to remove/change the bulbs with out removing the needles. So if you can wait i will post them all up with a bunch of pictures in a seperate forum just so i don't jake buzz's thread Witch i kind of did ... sorry buzz ill shut up now if you want info on it before i post it pm or email me like a bunch of other people have been. Sorry about buzz

Monday, February 06, 2006 3:06 PM
you can post them in here, i was trying to get this whole topic all in one thread instead of having a bunch of different ones, where everyones asking the question, over and over........... thats why started this one....
Sure shoot me an email to let me know how you are doing this, i'm quite interested...

Monday, February 06, 2006 3:25 PM
LMAO!!! who says im going to let the secret out of the bag...? lol no im j/k i will post it up here for all to see if i figure it out. OH... and if i do figure out this mistery i should get liek some award or something, just because ya i will be one of the few or only ones to change the lights with out removing needles!! lol j/k about that to!! Does any one knoe of a web site i get load all of these pictures for the 99 and older with out using like 2 pages for it?

Monday, February 06, 2006 11:47 PM
Why does Black Cat Customs make a speedometer that goes up to 140 mph for the sunfire, if the govenor kicks in at 107 mph? Is there a way to increase the goveners limit without disbaling the vss, such as having the computer reprogrammed somewhere?
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:35 AM
I've seen people who tint thier rear tail lights red with spray paint and thought of doing that. Since I have to send my cluster back to BCC due to the fact that the plastic coating is lifting up in the middle I'll probably just ask them to do the LEDs in red behind the needles.

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:24 AM
rawkfist ------ > shoot me an email....... buzz122@yahoo.com
I wanna hear your thoughts on the subject, because if youre thinking of doing that the way i am thinking of going about it, i need to BS with you. If you have a different way, than i was thinking, and it will work, without complications, i'll give you $50......... how bout that for an award.....
but i need to talk to you to see whta your plans were....

Jason Reiff ---------- > BZZZZZZZZZZZ...... sorry, thank you for playing, come agian !!!! This is a closely guarded secret, and there shall be none of that discussed here........ we don't need this thread locked....

Back In Black --------- > so while doing your tails you thought of your cluster?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:29 AM
Sorry bout that, can you delete your own posts? Also, do you know that if you order the blackcat custom stuff, is it already to go and all you have to do is install the cluster?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:45 AM
WTF! I am so damn confused.....people keep saying you DO and DO NOT have to remove the needles on the 95-99. Do you HAVE to remove them OR NOT??!?!?! lol

Jezuusss!

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:01 AM
hey anybody wanna do mine. its a 99... i want red... anybody?

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:59 AM
Quote:

needles on the 95-99

NO YOU DO NOT.............

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:00 PM
Mr.64 (Shaune Drake)

sure, send me an emial......

buzz122@yahoo.com

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:14 PM
That does it, I'll make this simple . . .

DON'T REMOVE THE DAMN NEEDLES! IF YOU WANT DIFFERENT COLORS, PM OR E-MAIL BUZZ122!!!!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:21 PM
Exodus 259 wrote:That does it, I'll make this simple . . .

DON'T REMOVE THE DAMN NEEDLES! IF YOU WANT DIFFERENT COLORS, PM OR E-MAIL BUZZ122!!!!

are you OK.......????
is something bugging ya, or you just upset on seeing the same question asked over and over?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:48 PM
OK PEOPLE SIMMER DOWN NOW!!! FOR THE 99 and older YOU DONOT HAVE TO HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT REMOVING THE NEEDLES!!! FOR THE 00+ ME AND BUZZ ARE TRYING OUR BEST TO FIND AWAY TO GET THE DAMN BULBS OUT AND CHANGE THEM WITH OUT REMOVING THE NEEDLES!!! OK??? now does every one get it? for the black cat custom ? there is away to do it its called a program you load onto a lab top and you can set the govener/rev limiter to what ever level you want. im looking into it my slef. No for Mr. 64 I can do them or buzz can ... OR if you just will wait like a little bit like a day or so depending on if some one can tell me were to load the pictures on so this thread isn't 5 pages long by the time i am done ... there are 21 pictures unless i remove some of them. So any other questions about the how to for the 99 and older tell me were i can load the pictures so it saves room ... or in a day if it is quiet i will just do it on here all of it. Sound good?

Ok buzz.... i dont know how im going about this just because the local junk yard is being a complete ass to me .. they are takin there time to the full extent. They are pissing and moning because they have to go out side in 30 degree wether and spend like 15 mins ripping one out for me. At this point im willing to just pay them money so i can go in there and get it because right now im getting about 15-20 emails aday from people cheering me on to get this thing up and going to i can help all of you guys ok. So all and all once i get it and look at how the hell it all works in there ... ill shoot you and email ok ??

Ok now is every one all contect lol and cant you tell im in a great mood , so sorry if i seem alittle jumpy/tense in all of this but highschool teachers SUCK ASS!!! hahaha yes im in highschool . Proud to represent my electronics class!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:52 PM
SON OF A B#&$% god i was so pissed i just said it out there god im such a freaken idiot some times!!! IM SoRRY THOSE HOW ARE READING THIS!!! I PROMISE ON MY SOUL TO NOT TELL ANY ONE!! please dont punish every one else because im a retard!!! wow im litterally going insane right now!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:40 PM
Yeah, i think you need to chill out a bit........
And a good place for you to load some pics, is:

PHOTOBUCKET.COM

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:48 PM
Ok im freaken board out of my mind so i just shrunk the pictures down a bunch so here you 99 and older cavy owners and 99 and older sunfire peoples (the sunfires may be different from the cavys).

Tools you guys all need for this light bulb swap:

Your car (duh if you dont haev this get one)
4 #194 lights bulbs (stock ones from walmart or the leds same number)
Needle nose pliers
Wire cutters
Soldering iron
Solder
7mm socket and ratchet
Flat head screw driver
Philips screw driver (only if you plan on removing the entire dash)
That should eb it up improvise if you dont have any of the tools i listed.

To get started you need the 7 mm socket and ratchet and the flat and and philips screw drivers. and remove all that is circled in red!!

step 1. On the drivers side of the car remove the fuse box cover and the rest of it around it. should look like this:
Remove the screw circled.

Now, move to the pasanger side and glove box region. If you plan on only lifting the dash up and not fully removing it skip step 2, 3, and 4 and jump to step 5

Step 2. remove the pannel with the screw driver so it looks like this.
Remove the screw circled.

step 3. Grab the philips screw drive and remove this screw in the vent by the wind shield.
remove the screw circled

step 4. pry off the vent with the flat head screw driver and remove the screw circled below.

step 5. Go to glove box and remove the screw circled.

If you have not fully removed the dash you need to hold the dash up with something ... would recommend removing the dash. I would haev but my car stopped my from doing so.

step 6. be in the drivers seat up nice close and personal with the steering wheel. Unscrew the two screws holding on the radio/cluster bezel.
this is the right side of it.
the left side of it.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:15 PM
crap sorry about the cut out comp is being stupid.... continuing on....

step 7. Pry the radio/cluster bezel off with your hand or your screw driver if needed. then remove the ciggy light clip

step 8. remove the two screws holding in your cluster.
the right side
left side

step 9. Remove the two clips attahing all of the wires to the cluster. The larger one has a button to push, the smaller one you need to work out with your flat head screw driver. I found getting the samller on out was easier to do by lifting up the clip the held in in there with the screw driver and pulling up on the clip not the wires.

step 10. pull cluster out of the car and flip upside down on a working table. Remove circles screws.
remove the shinny cardboard and this is were the fun starts.

step 11. plug in your soldering iron so it can get hot while you remove the bulbs from the sockets. to remove the sockets from the cluster fallow the arrows.

Fallow the tab numbers as we remove the bulbs from the sockets.

step 12. Hold the socket with eather your hand or another pliers as shown (it was easier with two pliers and a better pliers then that silver one. that was used only for picture taking) and another pliers to pull the tabs out. Pull tab out out first.

step 13. Rotate the socket in pliers to pill tab 2 out along with the bulb. DO NOT THROW AWAY BULB YET !!!

BAM it turns out like this.

step 14. get your new bulbs out of package I chose green to match my car exterior even tho they look blue. Bend the wire loops at the bottom out parallel with the bulb.

step 15. grab your wire cutters and ONLY cut the iner most wire on the bulbs you need to cut twice. Make sure your bulbs turn out like the picture or you need to go get new bulbs.

step 16. Bend the tabs back nito shap after cleaning off all left over wires that was left on it during the bulb removal and the bottom of it should be crimped tight to the rest of it and the top (the part with the little bump on it) can be bent later on.

step 17. insert the bulb first wires sticking streat out an at slight angles, then the tabs. Now as you are making sure the tab does not move, take the end of the wire and start to feed it inbetween the plastic socket and the metal tab. This is to insure a perfect connection.

step 18. grab your soldering iron and the solder and find something to prop the bulb and socket up. you are going to solder the bottom part of the tab and the wire to make sure it doesn't fall out. should look like this and sorry about the bad picture.

step 19. Reinstall!! fallow steps 2-11 but backwards.

finish product:

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:46 PM
alll your pics are red X's............
fix the hosting side of it.........

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:09 PM
my nuts > cardomain

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:43 PM
crappp ok yes i know this is going to sound so like a newbie but how do i do that?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search