LSJ bottom plus L61 head - Hybrid swap - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LSJ bottom plus L61 head - Hybrid swap
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:10 PM
here's today's update.

I got my raw materials from McMaster carr... i ordered the stuff last night at like 10pm and it was on my doorstep by 12pm today with standard shipping... DAMN.

anyways, I ordered a 1/4" thick 6" x 6" aluminum plate to make the brake booster/ manual master cylinder adapter. 6061 'general purpose" grade aluminum.

lining up the holes....

drilling

double check center to gasket and marking the cutoff

maching cutoff

mock up

modified gasket to sit nicely under the adapter plate

centerline marked for the new Master Cylinder.

Its not finished just yet, but thats where I stood when I left today.
a few more steps and it will be completed.

It didn't take long to make, and if anyone's interested.. I can make more of these if anyone is bold enough to ditch their power brakes for extra clearance under the hood.

Earlier in the day I began re-dressing the LSJ. I managed to remove half of my balance shaft delete kit from the 05 L61... but the rear blockers are simply impossible to remove. I'm working on a solution as you read this that may have something to do with a kent-moore special tool. More later.

Pics of the LSJ

I also noticed some more differences between the LSJ and L61... and since this is somewhat of a documentation of the two, I figured I'd illustrate them here.

timing chain spur gear (smaller) and the waterpump/ balance shaft gear spur gear (larger) Both larger gears are identical... p/n are exactly the same. The larger gears are different thicknesses but have the same amount of teeth (42t)

also, the L61 crank has a different end surface than the LSJ.. which explains the difference in the thickness of the two gears.

L61 crank surface

LSJ crank surface

note the L61 is thin

L61 spur gears

the LSJ is thick

LSJ spur gears

its starting to look like an engine again...

LSJ with L61 thermostat housing and waterpipe.

next is the oil pan. I'm using an L61 jbody unit. It bolts up perfectly.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:19 PM
thats sweet dude. good luck with it all, looks like you will be able to do a lot more with the motor your building.

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:44 PM
wow great progress. what are the plans for this motor t/sc/na?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:22 PM
PJ, you the man! I wanna see dyno sheets from your L61 and when this gets it's first pull. Nice work man!

Project Resurrection is in full swing!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:42 PM
LSJ + L61 = LS1? or L6J?

awesome work PJ.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:50 PM
Looking good, gotta love Mcmaster-Carr, can't wait to see all this stuff complete. What did you decided to do with the master cylinder?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:44 AM
i think PJ needs to change his name to the Mad Scientist...

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:57 AM
ecosleeper wrote:wow great progress. what are the plans for this motor t/sc/na?

He actually says in the first post

whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:i think PJ needs to change his name to the Mad Scientist...

I have to agree. Hey PJ, please don't laugh like all the mad scientists in the movies, that would be creepy.

Caution: I have an odd sense of humor, so don't be offended by the things I say
MMMM, HIDs
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:57 AM
Its early, but I smell a sticky coming.

Caution: I have an odd sense of humor, so don't be offended by the things I say
MMMM, HIDs
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:15 PM
minor update today.. my phone died so i didn't have a camera at all today

finished the plate for the master cylinder. I also machined it further than you see here and gave it a little bit of shape (instead of a boring square) but alas my camera was dead.

mounted in the car

with this MC setup, I'm going to be relocating the brake line distributor so it'll free up even more space. Not to mention the lack of the ABS motor.. the size comparison between both components is pretty asinine.. even tho they accomplish pretty much the same thing.

the next part i need to machine is an extension for the brake pedal to the master cylinder pushrod.
3.5" with a nice lil trick up my sleeve so I can fine tune the length and make sure its proper

I also machined the oil cooler bypass for the LSJ today out of 1" thick aluminum bar. It cam out pretty damn good.. but I won't know if it leaks until I fire the engine. It uses the machined face of the oil filter boss as a floor for a 'channel' to guide the oil from one hole to the other. This also made me realize I could run an external oil cooler if I ever wanted by making a plain plate thats drilled clean thru, and tapped for fittings to an oil-to-air cooler.

I'll post more pics tomorrow

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:48 PM
NICE! Your crazy lol. Cars gonna be nuts

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:51 PM
FReQ Z (ikE-Zed) wrote:LSJ + L61 = LS1? or L6J?

awesome work PJ.

LS1 is already taken, so i guess its a L6J.

Even though imagine people askin PJ what's in the Skwirl and him replying "LS1"...............

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:07 PM
i def need a name for this eco frankenstein.

L61S
LS61
L61/SJ

those are my 3 favorite

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:15 PM
you sir are insane .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:07 PM
he is indeed insane but as the saying goes most genious's are insane hahahaha so its not a bad thing

The one, the only, ME.
2465 lbs without me
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:30 PM
LS61
^my vote

Keep up the good work.

P.S. Your camera better be charged for start up, when ever that is.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:06 AM
I like LS61

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:04 AM
Great job man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:40 AM
I cant wait to see this damn thing done move your ass son

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:28 PM
so today I did a bit more work on the braking system.

I decided to machine the final piece in order to hook up the master cylinder.

another day on the $#@%^& bridgeport

comparison with the stock pushrod (attached to the brake booster)

a better look

hooked up to the wilwood master cylinder

I then recieved my 12mm flare nut wrench from mcmaster (my new fav place) and removed the ABS motor and distribution block.
Wow was it huge... wow it was pretty heavy. Especially in comparison to the NON-ABS distribution block.

I could probably pipe the hardlines directly into the master cylinder itself now (since it has outlets on either side) but thats a lot of work I don't feel like doing to eliminate a relatively small part. Perhaps at a later date...

the two master cylinders comparison.

I then realized at some point I'm going to have to connect all this crap together to work and NOT leak. So I began checking out the connections.. instead of going insane trying to find fittings to go from 1/2-20 out of the master cylinder to the mystery fittings (i'm bad at NPT stuff) on the distribution block, I decided to punch them out and tap them to the same thread as the master cylinder.

before...

drilled out with a 7/16

tapping...

all finished... distribution block now tapped to accept 1/2-20 SAE thread

I then looked online for a bit and found what I needed to hook the two together. Universal pre-assembled brake line from Russel Performance (90* -3AN to straight -3AN) and 4 1/2-20 to -3AN adapter fittings from earl's I believe. $90 in plumbing.

I then tried out the brake pushrod extension I made earlier in the day and it works FLAWLESSLY. I'm very happy.

mock up of the brake components (master cylinder is mounted permanently)

I don't know about you guys but that looks HOT to me.

not sure why the second wave of pictures is smaller... I'm going to have to hurt photobucket...

I'm seriously thinking about making an adapter kit.. it'd be a drag race only type thing. I still have to do some street testing to see if it functions the way I want it to.. but a 4 wheel disc car would be almost impossible to brake without power assist. but a 2 disc+drum system should be ok.. regardless of upgraded calipers or not.

More research is needed, but just getting a general idea if anyone would be interested in a manual brake conversion kit for the Jbody ?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:16 PM
Looks good!! I can't wait to see this thing done!!!!!!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:24 PM
increadible job all around pj. takes a lotta know how to do all this, and u got it man. absolutely LOVE the master cylinder setup!!! keep up the good work!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:22 PM
Are you planning on running the stock power steering pump or have you considered trying to run the electric power steering? Either way good luck on the build. Glad to see somebody trying something different!

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:27 PM
ihavenolife000 wrote:Are you planning on running the stock power steering pump or have you considered trying to run the electric power steering? Either way good luck on the build. Glad to see somebody trying something different!

cobalt elec steering is impossible to implement.. its actually a 'helper' motor attached to the cobalt steering column. also without the ecu programming to control it, yea... impossible.

I've thought about using a manual rack and just implementing it into the jbody subframe.. the mustang kits look awfully close to our setup

but I think I've thought of a better solution.. instead of eliminating my power steering, I think i'm going to run a pump from a 2200 ohv jbody (since i still have my old one) and make a custom bracket to put the PS pump where the a/c compressor should be.

I'd have to get a longer belt, and drive the pump via belt but it'll eliminate the pump bolted onto the camshaft and clean up the engine a LOT since it'll be pretty much hidden under the alternator. I HATE the powersteering pump being all in the way by the battery.

I'll mock some stuff up this coming week. I have 7 days to get ready for the "Ecotec Owners UNITE!" show.. hopefuly i can get the skwirl running by then.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:43 PM
That's what I had said when someone asked me why I wasn't going to run the MSD distributor to replace the PS pump. Mount it where the AC compressor is, run your lines under the oil pan...DONE! Just take the bracket and either modify it or scratch something out, but if you get it done, provide pics so I can show everyone who laughed at me for that comment that it was a dam good idea!!!

Oh, and awesome PJ. You are truely the mad scientist. Hope you get what you want out of it!

Project Resurrection is in full swing!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search