LSJ bottom plus L61 head - Hybrid swap - Page 6 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LSJ bottom plus L61 head - Hybrid swap
Thursday, May 08, 2008 4:43 PM
a few new pics.. didn't make much progress today. I was busy working on the beater.

The finished fuel rail mounted on the engine

close up shot of the AN fittings

the new fuel system (minus the hoses)

close up of the Aeromotive AFPR

more updates coming soon

Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:55 PM
not going with the LSJ injectors im guessing then?

looking great otherwise. ill admit im envious hahaha i wish i had half your finacial availability haha

The one, the only, ME.
2340 lbs without me and dropping
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come
Friday, May 09, 2008 11:22 AM
Bigari Balsagna(04eco) wrote:not going with the LSJ injectors im guessing then?

looking great otherwise. ill admit im envious hahaha i wish i had half your finacial availability haha

nope.. no LSJ injectors. I'd have to convert to the 2002 style fuel rail (which I have laying around) but I like the look of the 03-05 rail better.. plus since it has the feed and return lines on the same side, it makes running hoses a lot easier.

I did change my injectors.. they're similar in size (dimensions wise.. not cc or # wise) to the 440s, but thats all I'm going to say about them

Friday, May 09, 2008 8:52 PM
Holy @!#$ man, ow did I miss this thread?
Everything is looking amazing dude. You truly are an innovator.
I wish you all the luck in the world getting this thing running properly.
Go get em man, I KNOW there is atleast a mid 13 second run in this cars future.

Friday, May 09, 2008 9:17 PM
dude how do you have time its like you are... a hard working superman. Good luck man, all motor anit over!!!

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:55 PM
Not to change the subject but couldent you also have swapped the bottom end from a 2.4L Ecotec (in theory)? Because they basically have the same differences from the L61's in Cavaliers?

Keep up the great work man!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:51 AM
the 2.4 has vvt, the standalone has no way of controlling that particular vvt application. vvt would also REQUIRE using the cam sensor which the L61 head doesn't have provision for, and there are fewer (read: almost none) cam choices for those motors than the L61. Not to mention, he already had an LSJ sitting in the shop You guys will be happy to hear that I managed to convince PJ to put a stock 2200 (much to his chagrin) in his broken Sunfire so he will have a beater shortly, and the Skwirl will be able to sit around longer so that it can come out a little wilder than he originally anticipated. Then you'll understand the reasoning for the LSJ block

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Re: LSJ b0tt0m plu5 L61 he4d - Hydrib 5w4p 4tw
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:43 AM
I know it has VVT attached to the cams i meant swapping the bottom end only but I understand the theory behind his build its brilliant. Im with everyone else and cant wait to see him do some crazy stuff with that build
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:00 PM
isnt it a bit conterproductive to use stock cams? I men you can rev all you want, but if your cams are designed to brethe between 4-6 your not gonna make any power at 8?

also

where did you get that torque spec for the headstuds at, I could of sworn the guy at arp told me it was higher.

either way it looks great man

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:48 PM
this is just the prototype.. once I get this engine functioning correctly is when I'll start worrying about upgrading further. No need to risk beautiful, brand new aftermarket parts when the OEM left overs from all my other engines will do for now.

Once the stand alone functions correctly, and testing is complete the real fun begins.

But this swap could be applied to any ecotec, and thus allow any ecotec engine (with the proper minor alterations) to be swapped into the Jbody platform

shouldn't be much longer now.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:35 PM
AWESOME! You ROCK! Carry on sir!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:52 PM
I want pics of it in the skwirl.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:45 PM
Tinkles wrote:I want pics of it in the skwirl.

I could do something really funny to meet your request, but I'm too lazy...

in due time. it'll be worth the wait

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:18 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) v2.0 wrote:
But this swap could be applied to any ecotec, and thus allow any ecotec engine (with the proper minor alterations) to be swapped into the Jbody platform

providing we're not looking to pass emissions...

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:42 AM
if you're concerned with emissions, its really as simple as running the stock L61 engine management and getting an external trigger wheel/fabbing a bracket for the crank sensor. Unless you really want to go nuts and graft the whole cobalt electrical system in.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Re: LSJ bottom plus L61 head - I'm too lazy...
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:26 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) v2.0 wrote:
Tinkles wrote:I want pics of it in the skwirl.

I could do something really funny to meet your request, but I'm too lazy...

in due time. it'll be worth the wait

Your doing a 1st ever swap for j-bodies, custom fabbing your own parts, and also re-engineering your brakes. But your too lazy to take/make a funny pic? And now you have me curious as to what your "funny" idea is.

You also havent posted new pics in close to a week, come on where is the update with pics?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:50 AM
Tinkles wrote:Your doing a 1st ever swap for j-bodies, custom fabbing your own parts, and also re-engineering your brakes. But your too lazy to take/make a funny pic? And now you have me curious as to what your "funny" idea is.

You also havent posted new pics in close to a week, come on where is the update with pics?

He was probably going to do something like put the engine IN the car, not in the bay... That'd still be pretty funny, so do it if you get not lazy

Edit: I was going to be like "omg hurry i cant wait lolz" but I think I already did earlier in this topic. But then I realized that with something like this, there is never too much of that. So, omg hurry i cant wait lolz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:51 AM

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:09 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of printing out a big pic of the LS61 and tapeing it in his engine bay.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:25 AM
photoshopped squirl with the LS61 sticking out of it....

watch for flying sparks!!!
Re: LSJ bottom plus L61 head - LS61J madnes!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:22 PM
I could care less about pics at this point.. what im wondering is what it can rev to and what kind of power at those revs? his last set up was still making power at like 8k+ and with this stand alone and the lower displacement i bet that thing will make power way past 9k.. (close to 10k) in which case im excited to see a DaskreamingFlyinskwirl....
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:48 PM
His last setup was NOT still making power at 8K.... well, I guess that depends on how you define "still making power". The last setups peak hp came in a lot lower than PJ's butt dyno had thought, at around 6300 or so if I recall. It was still making SOME power up to about 7500, but we determined from his dyno graph that although he was shifting about about 7900, he could have been faster by shifting at no higher than 7200 to stay in the area of the highest average hp. That was with the LZM cams which are much less aggressive than the Comp stage 3's that will eventually go into this motor though.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:31 PM
tis true.

peak power was around 6300 or so. Which then dropped, then climbed again strangely O_o

the problem with the 2.2 bottom end is the rod ratio. Despite the climbing revs, the frictional losses and behavior of the bottom end can't be counteracted with better cams or better head. I think the cap on the 2.2 is around 8000rpm.. it just simply does not make any power higher than that and even that is the absolute limit. I think ben was hitting peak around 6900rpm or so but I could be mistaken.. maybe early 7s? And he was over 200 at the flywheel I'm pretty sure..

regardless, revving a 2.2 out won't really help much even with all the flow mods in the world.. peak will almost always occur before 8000 without changing the rod ratio.

I'm hoping the 2.0 sees a little bit of a later peak than the 2.2, and I'm hoping that the square geometry as well as the 1.68 rod ratio will help make more power than the 2.2 given the same modifications.

Not to mention the better clutches, more options for pistons, better rods, better crank from the factory, etc etc

its an OEM+ combination without doubt.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:27 AM
small update today

its been a while cuz i've had some other problems I've needed to take care of. no recent pictures because my phone took a dump and I'm waiting on a replacement.

I got a 2005 getrag for the engine combination and when I tried to mate the trans to the engine, it turns out there were two things in my way.

first, the thermostat housing from the 2007 cobalt... turns out it DOESN'T clear the F23. So I had to revert back to the original thermostat housing. I found out the long pipe is steel, so I cut it and plan on either using hard silicone or welding in a pipe to extend it up and over the oil cooler (pics of this asap)

second, the oil cooler has 3 bolts. one in the top and two underneath. one of the underneath bolts was digging into the housing of the transmission. I had to sand down the aluiminum on the bottom of the cooler ever so slightly, but now it fits without issue. I also had to switch from 13mm bolts to bolts with a 10mm head.. the 13mm socket wouldn't fit inbetween the transmission and the cooler.

But all is assembled together and ready to be placed in the skwirl now. LSJ bottom end with L61 thermo housing and modified water pipe, LSJ oil cooler, L61 head, F23 transmission.

pictures coming soon! hopefully re-installed in the car by the end of this week.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:48 PM
I'm dying to see how that bish runs!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:00 PM
So what all is it going to take to get the Stand Alone to work?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search